Any way to make my mods incompatible with consoles?

Koveich

So the "special" version of Skyrim is coming out in the next couple of months and I was wondering if there's a file I could add to my Skyrim mods that would break the save games of console players if they download my mod from the Nexus and pirate it onto Bethesda. The file being harmless to us PCMR players is a necessity, but it needs to make the mod not work/be allowed for console players if they decide to re-upload the file to Bethesda for retarded reasons unknown.

Maybe I should add a hidden nude picture in the mod that wouldn't mess with the mod itself, but be hidden away so Bethesda would analyse the file and remove it cause of the hidden file so I wouldn't have to report the piracy of the mod a hundred times and wait a week for them to do jack.

I know adding a hidden picture or anything else would be quite easy to remove in the 7z file, but since there would be little else I could do about the console players pirating my mods anyway, besides reporting them which doesn't work from everything I hear, I'm going to be counting on their stupidity to work in my favour.

Any creative ideas?

Jesus Christ, another of these?! I was there was a way to block you my mods at least... oh wait... there is!

Would you be so kind to comment on any of my mods? just a little "Hi" so I can ban you.

The evil part of me started thinking and breaking the game just for console users should actually be pretty easy with little scripting and creativity (ot actually destructivity?). Not going to give ideas to these people though...

Edited by FrankFamily

If you make that scripting wonder that'd make mods break for consoles, let me know.

And @lofgren, I was thinking along the lines of making something that'd break the game or make it not up to par with Bethesda's ToS rather than quitting modding entirely.

If you make that scripting wonder that'd make mods break for consoles, let me know.

And @lofgren, I was thinking along the lines of making something that'd break the game or make it not up to par with Bethesda's ToS rather than quitting modding entirely.

I understand the question. I was just offering the solution that would be best for all of us.

I don't think he is trying to do harm to the console users machine. Rather, he knows he is not uploading to Bethesda.net, so if a console user is playing the mod, it obviously was pirated.

One option would be to make a Boot strap quest with an onInit that enables the other quests by ... setting a Global. Or maybe add the player to a faction. That is harder to bypass. The bootstrap script could check for Game.UsingGamePad() and refuse to allow the other quests to start with a warning message if one is detected. PC users with GamePads could bypass by simply changing to keyboard until after the check. Need to confirm that console users can't disable the GamePad setting. A savvy user could edit the mod and remove the check, but it would require effort. More of a deterrent than anything else.

Hey, if your mod is > 1 Gig, it can't be uploaded to Bethesda.net :)

Let me just quote this: " I was wondering if there's a file I could add to my Skyrim mods that would break the save games of console players if they download my mod from the Nexus and pirate it onto Bethesda"

The ones posibly being harmed (their savegames) by the hate you just encouraged are not the ones that pirate the mods, not at all, because those probably know how to remove the trap. The ones that would end up with broken save games if this dude knew a thing about scripting (or googling) are the console players that download it, possibly without even knowing that the guy that uploaded the mod isn't the author and didn't have permission to upload it.

Hitting the user of the pirated stuff instead of the uploader is not the path to go and even the FBI knows it. And even more when this users download this pirated stuff from THE official website.

So lets stop fueling the fire.

Edited by FrankFamily

That would be considered Malicious Software. As a designer you should never think along them lines. The truth is anything you create with the CK (scripts included) is more than easily broken into.

Anyone "in the know" could change anything about your mod. So, even if you could make such a thing stopping it's effects would be very easy ...

Also: Nothing you create with the CK is ever considered fully yours. You are in face creating Freeware from the start. So, there is no pirating going on when posting to other sites.