It's time we did something about the Intro and maybe get a bit mad.

onelunglee

Try to bear with me. I'm an insomniac, artist, modder, husband and yeah, not really that nice of a guy.

I'm also not a writer. So really, just hang in there.

My wife says that my being a little bit more than horrible is exactly what's needed to fix the intro, maybe even take it a bit further. I think maybe it'll help. I think maybe the intro sequence and the insanity of all that's wrong with the main character's reactions to the crappy, oblivious people they meet just hours after enduring a massive psychological trauma finally just made me mad.

And mad is okay. It's a natural human reaction. It can be useful. Motivating even.

For instance, say one day I'm home with my wife, and then, through an unfortunate and very abrupt series of events, some bald scumbag murders her in front of me and kidnaps my son, all while I'm standing there helpless and confused in a freezer I got tricked into by a bunch of nerds.

Yeah, I'd be slightly mad. Upset even.

In fact, instead of mugging my wife for her wedding ring and abandoning her corpse in a strange lab freezer thingy, eyes open and undignified just moments after (again, sort of) I watched her die, I'd, I don't know? Maybe bring her body somewhere close, like the conveniently nearby home I was just living in a half hour ago? Perfect. I figure after finding Codsworth, the gravity of everything would hit and I'd be doing something epic and symbolic, like burning the house to the ground to cremate my wife, and then, with the aid of some slick fire animations, creative modding skills, a handful of pre-rendered audio files and this song, I'd go completely insane.

I figure after that, all bets are off. Let the whole neighborhood burn. Why not? Maybe I take my equally damaged, loyal, well armed robot man servant, my big ass dog and my gun and I head out to test drive my brand new crazy. Maybe even that bridge catches fire as we leave?

Would be kind of significant, no?

I can definitely tell you what I wouldn't do. I wouldn't be putting up with snarky remarks or demands from nerds pretending to be some militia from whenever. Wife's been dead like 40 minutes, this guy is telling me sob stories?

I figure in reality Preston Garvey would get about five words into his tripe before someone put the dog on him and started grilling him about their KIDNAPPED SON. Modding has limits, I know. Just sayin.

You starting to get the picture?

Edited by onelunglee

My wife says that my being a little bit more than horrible is exactly what's needed to fix the intro, maybe even take it a bit further. I think maybe it'll help. I think maybe the intro sequence and the insanity of all that's wrong with the main character's reactions to the crappy, oblivious people they meet just hours after enduring a massive psychological trauma finally just made me mad.

man when i started the game i was actually quite happy with several aspects. when i first played though i skipped the character creation as i didnt want to deal with the new system (i was on a console and i prefer sliders for character creation when using a game pad.) and i was playing on a friends game so i didnt to spend a lot of time on that. so i get through the vault and hey it was nice... sort of... finding out the vault is tiny as all hell did not make me happy but i thought maybe this was just vault 111 that was small as its residents are mostly in cryostasis... except that doesnt make sense... i'll get back to that. your character though be uncomfortable at the state of the vault is reasonable, you've been asleep for 210 years so your a little groggy and the last thing you remember was your kid being kidnapped so you're still getting accustomed to things trying to process it all. then i entered the wasteland and... nothing, like nice screen fade thing i guess i already saw that in previews of the game so whatever... the lack of a significant reaction though bothered me though. then we get to Sanctuary... and we meet codsworth and... i actually liked it like i straight up felt for that guy. he represented how my character should have been. it was actually somewhat saddening to hear what he had to go through. this robot lost everything in the world! he lost his owners, he lost his home, he couldnt keep up with the decay. this is the best part of the game for me when it comes to dialog. after that though no one else reacts right. your character should be a lot like Codsworth was at the beggining! instead we get this bland character who isnt very intresting and isnt your character. we get Beths character. this isnt Mass Effect where you play Shepard who is Biowares character, this is Fallout dang it! the series made popular because of it's good story (FO4 does not have one, both FO3 and NV did they werent very well written and in FO3s case really short but they were good and had a very good reason why you are in no hurry, you don't know where your dad is and you dont know where to start looking so you wander around looking for people who may know. in NV you're looking for your killer after you do that you can do whatever you want! seriously there is no reason for the Courier to get involved in the war at all unless you want to get involved! while the game encourages you do and the ending is after you finish it you dont have to do it. the real ending is when you decide how you deal with Benny. [by the way the female choice to sleep with him is hilarious]) you had your own character that you built. you could excuse cannon differences for the characters from your own as the games used the previous character as a legendary being and legends change from one telling to the next.

a lot of people say im just complaining to complain, but i have some valid reasons for not being happy with FO4 and thinking it is the laziest game Bethesda has made. i am annoyed because these guys have made great games before but each game seems to show more and more laziness on their part.

For instance, say one day I'm home with my wife, and then, through an unfortunate and very abrupt series of events, some bald scumbag murders her in front of me and kidnaps my son, all while I'm standing there helpless and confused in a freezer I got tricked into by a bunch of nerds.

lol, best summary of the beginning of the game ever.

agreed! i would blame a lot of people including Vault-tec! i will now quote myself:

"When Vault-tec gives you a vault, don't make a life living in the ground. Make Vault-tec take the vaults back! Get mad! I don't want your D*** vaults, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see Vault-tec's manager! Make Vault-tec rue the day it thought it could give Qwerty Zeldar a vault! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your headquarters down! With the vaults! I'm gonna get my minutemen to invent a combustible vault that burns your headquarters down!"

-qwertyzeldar

In fact, instead of mugging my wife for her wedding ring and abandoning her corpse in a strange lab freezer thingy, eyes open and undignified just moments after (again, sort of) I watched her die, I'd, I don't know? Maybe bring her body somewhere close, like the conveniently nearby home I was just living in a half hour ago? Perfect. I figure after finding Codsworth, the gravity of everything would hit and I'd be doing something epic and symbolic, like burning the house to the ground to cremate my wife, and then, with the aid of some slick fire animations, creative modding skills, a handful of pre-rendered audio files and this song, I'd go completely insane.

AGREED! please read above quote of myself. i would go on a freakin rampage of legendary levels to avenge my family. i see some random black guy wearing colonial clothing and some makeshift lazer rifle? he bein shot by some jerks with makeshift rifles? kill them all! save the random black guy! recruit random black guy and friends into my cause! find out he is last minuteman... neat? i think? like how does that help me exactly? so he can fight sort of... nice... oh he can rebuild it? oh ehy i can get behind that! this guy knows this wasteland better i can use him to help me survive. wait... now im a general? because this guy who shows leadership skills and sends you to do stuff all the time for the minutemen cant do it himself? and that brings me to my next point.

WHY CANT WE GIVE PRESTON COMMAND OF THE MINUTEMEN?!

seriously why? i am down for getting a choice here. like when we ask why he cant do it we should have an option to convince him to take the reins, he actually would make a decent general. so then you can become an advisor and help him rebuild. this would allow a companion quest where you go to settlements with him and raise minutemen and support and build up the organization. get rid of most of the stupid go help these people quests, and the ones you get makes sense, he would be sending his right hand man/woman to deal with it. also add the ability to send minutemen to help instead of going yourself with a chance of failure which shrinks as the minutemen grow and you beginning better gear and training but it never guarantees 100% success or a very high XP reward. also completion this way means you dont get any caps instead the Minutemen as a whole do or something. that'd be great.

I figure after that, all bets are off. Let the whole neighborhood burn. Why not? Maybe I take my equally damaged, loyal, well armed robot man servant, my big ass dog and my gun and I head out to test drive my brand new crazy. Maybe even that bridge catches fire as we leave?

Wasteland Batman

can definitely tell you what I wouldn't do. I wouldn't be putting up with snarky remarks or demands from nerds pretending to be some militia from whenever. Wife's been dead like 40 minutes, this guy is telling me sob stories?

more like:

"hey! i am 242 years old! my wife was murdered in front of me! my kid was kidnapped! i watched my world burn before my eyes! some nerds tricked me into cryo stasis! this settlement you have here is built around the ruins of my home dang it! i lived in that house over there! that was once mine dang it! i get it you have had it rough but i think you should consider where i am coming from her is a bit difficult for me to get a handle on!"

in the case of Nate he could straight up throw down the part about him being exmilitary and knows how it is to lose people.

I figure in reality Preston Garvey would get about five words into his tripe before someone put the dog on him and started grilling him about their KIDNAPPED SON. Modding has limits, I know. Just sayin.

i like Preston i really do, but thing is they should have made him the guy who helped us adjust not the guy who put us to work doing repetitive quests.

Try to bear with me. I'm an insomniac, artist, modder, husband and yeah, not really that nice of a guy.

I'm also not a writer. So really, just hang in there.

And mad is okay. It's a natural human reaction. It can be useful. Motivating even.

Would be kind of significant, no?

I can definitely tell you what I wouldn't do. I wouldn't be putting up with snarky remarks or demands from nerds pretending to be some militia from whenever. Wife's been dead like 40 minutes, this guy is telling me sob stories?

Edited by steve40

maybe I am hijacking threads, but I don't think so
I think this thread I'm linking is for endgame, and what you guys are talking about is early game
while the thread I link to (my own) within this link's thread, is a good layout for the framing of the world as things progress from beginning to end
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4784215-yet-another-government-mod-idea/

SURPRISE YOU WERE A PART OF A CULT AND IT SET OFF THE FIRST NUCLEAR DETONATION WHICH STARTED THE REST OF THE WAR,

KELLOGG AND THE INSTITUTE

HAVE A USE FOR YOU, BUT DON'T WANT YOU OFF ICE OR THE SPARE SPARE ALIVE BECAUSE THEY KNOW! YOU'RE A THREAT! THEY'RE NOT NEARLY AS BAD AS YOU THOUGHT, MOST OF THE VILLAINS AREN'T, IT'S YOU, YOU'RE THE REASON THEY'RE LIKE THAT, EVERYTHING IS SO MESSED UP NOW :D :D :D
you're already crazy, and got what you wanted, the only problem is that your other got killed
everything else is JUST AS PLANNED!
I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DESTROY THE WORLD THAT KEPT ME IN CHECK, SO I COULD REMAKE A NEW ONE WITHOUT HINDRANCE!
(actually this is a common theme with a lot of deathcult terrorist stuff so it's hardly out of touch with reality or actual motivations, and the fact that you don't notice it really except as a lore thing is pretty good too eh?! explains the stoicism you have throughout the game!)
you were originally supposed to do a detonation yourself but had failed, so you were just waiting for the time when things would occur, vault tec was behind it all along! they're the cult! and the master he found out about it and went insane.... hence the FEV obsession!!!! EVERYTHING, was their fault! he wanted humanity to get beyond the plans of vault tec even! the madmen and madwomen! even THE MASTER is a victim!

Edited by tartarsauce2