Skyrim Special Edition and the 255 mod / esp limit - definitive answer

unmeaty

I'm making this thread to hopefully offer some clarification on whether or not the SE version of Skyrim supports more than 255 active esp files (mods).

I've searched this forum and the interwebz and have not found a solid yes or no, so I'm hoping that with the game released we can definitively put that question to bed.

My inclination is to think that the limit is still applicable, as Fallout 4 is 64 bit and still has the cap. Apparently it's hard coded, binary, and there's no easy fix.

I'l update this post with the correct answer to this query when someone can provide it. I'll try it myself when I can if nobody else does first.

Hopefully that way anyone who searches for that knowledge will find it here and not have to scour the internet parsing half truths and FUD.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Merge Plugins Utility gets updated to work with SSE, it will be no problem. Excellent utility that is easy to learn and use. I'm already about 20 or 30 plugins past the 255 on my modded Skyrim. Thanks to Merge Plugins I'm down to 248.

If Merge Plugins Utility gets updated to work with SSE, it will be no problem. Excellent utility that is easy to learn and use. I'm already about 20 or 30 plugins past the 255 on my modded Skyrim. Thanks to Merge Plugins I'm down to 248.

never understood how it worked, you should give me a tut when its out on SSE ;P

It is a great utility, but you can't merge just anything. I had 450+ mods with +/- 315 active esp files that I got down to 255 by using that merge program.

The problem is the mods have to be cleaned (TES5edit) and the only way to 'clean' many of the mods is to delete portions that the editor can't resolve. This can lead to problems.

Merging mods with scripts is dicey. And sometimes mods that are dependent on another esp file don't find the merged mod and it causes LOOT conflicts.

Point being that even with that merge utility - and it is a super tool for what it does - having the 255 mod limit is still a pain.

A programmer can answer this better, but the mod limit is due to binary coding, and how it multiples numbers.

The max is actually 256 .esp's including the main games .esp.

<Skyrim Special Edition and the 255 mod / esp limit - definitive answer>

<i really want a professional answer to this question, i've been wondering myself about it too, hopefully some mod expert or a reply from Bethesda employee can sort this out>

Someone please Install 260 mods write a papyrus code for last 10 to debug to the papyrus log, report back, cus I can't be stuff doing it.

Jesus christ

The limit is still there. It will always be there until they completely change how they handle FormIDs. FormIDs are 8bit strings, the leading two bits are used to indicate the source plugin. Starting at 00 and ending at FF. FF is reserved for items dynamically created in the game.

Therefore there is a max of 255 individual plugins. Skyrim SE comes with 5. Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfires.esm and Dragonborn.ESM, leaving 250 available for use by the player.

This is not news. This has been known for ages.

Please attempt to do a modicum of research. ANYONE who works with mods could have told you this.