[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

I'd say it looks pretty accurate in its scaling, from what I can tell anyways, thank you Antistar for posting the additional image, it's difficult to size things up for a video game by using examples of its real world equivalent, different hand sizes and all.

I'm feeling kind of silly though I've been calling it a U.S army model yet its got government model stamped on the right side of it, unless there's a material swap for that lol, out of curiosity what gloves are those in the images?

Kind of glad I avoided Nexus today for the most part, seriously wondering what happened, such wasted space for mods that could've been firearms, immersion, game adjustments etc, smh.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem. :) And yeah, I think the scale looks right... but it is hard to tell for sure.

The "government model" text was in Isildur's resource. I left it in the Stainless skin - which I guess I could change for the sake of variety if nothing else, but it doesn't seem that important.

Those gloves are just from the BOS uniform. The test character you see in all my WIP screenshots is actually just my character from my first (and so far still the only) playthrough of FO4, wearing what he was wearing when I stopped playing.

I did catch some of the ruckus earlier today - seems like it's been cleaned up now though.

Oh ok so those were the stainless skins, I'm guessing the one that features wood gripping, those weren't the "blued" gun metal skins, what's stamped on the right side of those?

Ah I see, I don't use any of the BOS stuff..except the field scribe hat, I like the style of hat and mine doesn't have the hood and it's black, now if only I had one without the goggles and hood. Lol I'm not on my first playthrough but I have yet to actually finish a playthrough.

Yeah I saw that notification this morning =Nexus Ban on U.S Political Mods=, I'm laughing my ass off with how they highlighted U.S in the header like that. I'm taking The Senile Scribbles stance on that one "I'm gonna go with the f*#@ both your factions faction, how about that?!" Lol

Sorry, I must have been unclear: the "government model" text is in both the Blued and Stainless skins. Isildur's resource had the Blued textures, and I (partially) procedurally generated the Stainless textures in Substance Painter from the normal map in that resource. That text was in the normal map, so it appeared in the Stainless textures as well.

I could change that by editing the normal map - it's what I did to fix those typos on the slide - which isn't that hard but can be fiddly, and doesn't seem that important, like I said. It'd just be for variety. I've seen stainless variants with "government model" stamped on them too.

You can see the five skins available in-game here, and left to right, top to bottom, they are:

- Blued
- Stainless
- Stainless + Wood Furniture
- Two-Tone
- Two-Tone + Wood Furniture

- Stainless + Wood Furniture again but with a short barrel

Oh so the text is on the normal map and not the diffuse, I like that, whenever manufacturer stampings is on the diffuse it looks painted on instead of embedded in the metal for such firearms like this.

In addition to your "I've seen stainless variants with "government model" stamped on them" statement the government models were the only official issued models to be stainless, so there's no need to change what's written on them, in fact they should stay ;)

The US army ones were blued and would have "Model of 1911 US Army" embedded on the slide and "United States Property" embedded on the frame just above the trigger and trigger guard, the last one there was commonly etched off by their users because they wanted to keep them after the wars, they were actually supposed to be returned lol.

Off topic but what would I use to convert a picture file into a fallout 4 diffuse texture file? I have a picture I'd like to use as a pip boy background.

Oh so the text is on the normal map and not the diffuse, I like that, whenever manufacturer stampings is on the diffuse it looks painted on instead of embedded in the metal for such firearms like this.

It's actually in the diffuse and spec/gloss maps here too, but the normal map is what is used by Painter to generate the other base maps (e.g world normals, ambient occlusion, curvature, etc) in the absence of a high-poly model to generate them from.

In addition to your "I've seen stainless variants with "government model" stamped on them" statement the government models were the only official issued models to be stainless, so there's no need to change what's written on them, in fact they should stay :wink:

Well that explains that then. :wink:

The US army ones were blued and would have "Model of 1911 US Army" embedded on the slide and "United States Property" embedded on the frame just above the trigger and trigger guard, the last one there was commonly etched off by their users because they wanted to keep them after the wars, they were actually supposed to be returned lol.

I know I've seen blued models with "government model" on them - in fact I think it was in an image I've linked to before. Yeah, here - though the text isn't in exactly the same place in Isildur's resource.

Off topic but what would I use to convert a picture file into a fallout 4 diffuse texture file? I have a picture I'd like to use as a pip boy background.

This can be a big topic, so just briefly; if it's just a diffuse with no transparency, you'd need something that can save/export a BC1 (previously called "DXT1") or BC7 dds file. BC1 dds files will be half the file-size of BC7 dds files, but BC1 textures can have visible artefacting in them, depending on the content of the image. If BC1 looks fine to you - and especially if you can't really see a difference when comparing the same image saved in both BC1 and BC7 - then you should use BC1. Bethesda mainly used BC1 for diffuse textures in FO4.

So just search around a bit for a program that can handle saving dds files. BC7 is relatively new, so the program would have to be newer in order to handle it. It would probably also be a good idea to have a look at the texture you'd be replacing (or another replacer for it), to see what resolution/dimensions are required, and to see if it needs mipmaps or not.

Mmm high poly models which can slow down your game, especially with multiple in one area, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there's a limit to how many vertices a model can have before the games engine is like no not going to happen?

I have my moments on knowing a lot about a variety of firearms, not all though, you ask me about an AUG I'm likely to say "ummm, it's a firearm..and it shoots bullets" lol

Oh, well I learned another thing about these particular firearms today than, think the location of the government stamping varied in reality and we're not really going to see the right side in general gameplay.

Oh okay, I thought even the diffuses had to be in BC7, which to my knowledge GIMP still doesn't support, from what I could find out having an image as a wallpaper for the pip boy only requires a diffuse, it would have to have a dimensional value of 1024x1024 which the image I have so happens to have, so I'll try BC1 in GIMP, hopefully it'll work, the image is real world quality.

Guess I was kind of vague again, sorry. In this context, a "high-poly" model is a (generally) super detailed model - often with millions of polygons - that isn't used in the game. It's only used to bake that extra detail into maps used by (in this case) Substance Painter and ultimately the textures used by the game (notably normal maps), to give the illusion of that extra detail without needing as many polys. In contrast, the final models used in-game are often called "low-poly" models. (And you can see examples of this naming convention in some of the game files, incidentally.)

Earlier in the project I posted some examples of high-poly models; e.g. for the USAS-12:

- USAS-12 01
- USAS-12 02
- USAS-12 03
- USAS-12 04
- USAS-12 05

And then that extra detail ended up in the final textures:

- USAS-12 06
- USAS-12 07
- USAS-12 08
- USAS-12 09
- USAS-12 10

On BC1 vs BC7: the main thing BC1 has problems with is subtle gradients - you can get some artefacting there. For most things, it's fine.

No you weren't vague, I messed up the context here confusing the two different contexts..oops.

I managed to get my image to show up in game compressed in BC1 with GIMP, thank you Antistar for pointing out that you can use either BC1 or BC7, I've been sitting on that image for awhile now and the guide I used said to use BC7, now my pip boy (or in this instance Alexscorpion's pip pad, since I found out it uses the same pipboyscreen diffuse) has a nice background wallpaper.

I did notice a bit of gradient artefacting you were mentioning so I might try BC7 (if I manage to find a program which can compress in BC7) but the pip boy screen is kind of reminiscent of those old monitors which had gradient artefacting, so I might leave it..because for me it makes sense for it to be there.

• 2 weeks later...