[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

when you will release the ar-15 m203 ?

This is all stuff I've covered many times before in the thread and elsewhere, but:

Ideally that will be as part of WARS, when it's finished. Currently waiting on the pending update for AmmoTweaks so I can use its framework.

With the AR-15's M203 grenade launcher requiring some kind of scripted setup in order to switch to and from it, it could be released as a standalone mod requiring Loads of Ammo. It was a very early implementation of this sort of thing though, and has some shortcomings; e.g. script lag, no hotkeys. AmmoTweaks v2 is worlds apart, from what I understand, so I'd prefer to wait for it.

Weapons are also set up very differently in WARS to the vanilla game, so there'd be a lot of extra work to split a weapon off into a standalone mod. Extra work for something I wouldn't like and wouldn't use myself; I really don't like the vanilla setup for weapons in FO4; it's why I'm making WARS. There's some more info on this in the second post of the thread - e.g. the FAQ.

More generally, while I'm here:

I've been working on some stuff for PEACE that I think is coming along well - including a feature that I've been hoping since the game's release that someone would tackle, but no-one has yet, as far as I know - so I'll probably be posting an update over in the PEACE WIP thread later today.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, the M1911 stuff is all done. It's in loot and at vendors and whatnot, and the NPCs most likely to carry it (usually as a sidearm unless they're low level) are Gunners, Triggermen and The Railroad.

I also added a few uniques; don't look in the spoiler if you want them to be a surprise:

- Future Shock

This is the Terminator reference one; a Hardballer Longslide with giant 80s laser sight. Its name is also a reference to probably the first Bethesda game I ever played. (Well, it was the demo - and even then, only the first level, because that was all that worked on the 486 my family had at the time.)

It's carried by... well, you can probably guess. ;) I added a special encounter for it.

- Baby Machine Gun

This has the machine pistol setup with the Thompson foregrip, Cutts compensator and select-fire trigger group. It's carried by a Triggerman called Baby Face - a reference to Baby Face Nelson, obviously.

- Snake Eater

The Metal Gear Solid 3 reference; it's vaguely similar to Snake's custom M1911, and of course comes with an off-hand knife "attachment". This one is found locked up in an armoury - a vague reference to what Eva says in MGS3 about where she got the pistol.

I've also been considering another one as a Hitman reference - the signature "Silverballers" - but doing Agent 47's barcode seems like it would require a new hair mesh and texture, so I haven't bothered with that so far.

Sorry if this is coming off as a redundant question, but I just stumbled upon this mod project today and could not find any kind of ballparked release date. Is there one available, or am I just making an a$$ of myself? From what I have seen everything looks awesome and I want in lol.

No official release date will be given until the AmmoTweaks update has been released, AmmoTweaks is intended to be the framework for WARS and that's another mod authors works entirely.

Antistar I think raiders having the standard and officer setups is tangible no? The standard issue setups were pretty common and abundant, I like how you added it to the Triggermen too, since the Triggermen are essentially the post nuclear war mafia it makes sense for them to use it since in real life they did use em (not sure if they used the M1911 or M1911A1 but they used em) along with the Thompson M1928A1.

I think the MF team used the same resource for the M1911 you did in their latest release, it has the same model serial number and the same COLT'S misspelling to "CILT'S" and missing the rampaging colt logo, they also added the M1911A1 but both need more work yet.

Sorry if this is coming off as a redundant question, but I just stumbled upon this mod project today and could not find any kind of ballparked release date. Is there one available, or am I just making an a$$ of myself? From what I have seen everything looks awesome and I want in lol.

Thanks. :)

This is touched on in the FAQ in the second post of the thread, and it's also as Shanzyboo said; currently I'm waiting on a substantial update to AmmoTweaks. Once that's available it will still take some time to integrate its framework (plus do testing, documentation, etc), so it's not as simple as being able to give an ETA once AmmoTweaks v2 is available, either. ;)

Antistar I think raiders having the standard and officer setups is tangible no? The standard issue setups were pretty common and abundant, I like how you added it to the Triggermen too, since the Triggermen are essentially the post nuclear war mafia it makes sense for them to use it since in real life they did use em (not sure if they used the M1911 or M1911A1 but they used em) along with the Thompson M1928A1.

I think the MF team used the same resource for the M1911 you did in their latest release, it has the same model serial number and the same COLT'S misspelling to "CILT'S" and missing the rampaging colt logo, they also added the M1911A1 but both need more work yet.

Yeah, the M1911 is a perfect fit for the Triggermen; no way I could leave them out.

I set things up so that Raider bosses can spawn with Gunner loadouts - so yes, some Raiders will use M1911s. Mostly though I've got Raiders using very cheap and makeshift weapons; starting with Pipe Guns and double-barrel shotguns, moving through Volkssturmgewehrs and crappy cut-down Mossbergs, up to Handmade AKMs, M79 Grenade Launchers and Makeshift Anti-Materiel Rifles at the high end.

I remember seeing someone release a mod on the Nexus based on Isildur's M1911 resource earlier in the year; it could be that it was that one that was merged into Modern Firearms. In any case, that mod was what first drew my attention to the resource, and Isildur's work was so nice that it was what made me decide that yes, now was the time to finally add an M1911 to WARS, like I'd been thinking about for so long.

(I worked from Isildur's resource directly, if anyone's wondering; I didn't use whichever other mod I saw that also ported it.)

Jeez, I can only imagine the amount of work you'll have with the implementation of AmmoTweaks, speaking of, and also off topic (sorry) is Isathar doing ok? Hope he's not losing his mind. That goes you too Antistar, when was the last time you had a breather?

Makes sense, so then Raider lists are separate from Gunner lists, I've been curious about that since I think I remember reading something about Gunners being classed as a type of Raider in the games engine..or in the CK or something.

Ohhh?! So far I'm only aware of two instances of Isildurs resource being utilized, the one is obvious, here for WARS and then in Modern Firearms latest release (which needs some work,) wonder if it was removed for some reason. Right now the Modern Firearms ones are too up scaled, both are too long..and a little too tall, and maybe too wide, their width is more accurate compared to their length and height though, the M1911 is missing its trigger..and in fact I think they slapped it onto the M1911A1, for the A1 the trigger is too far forward, but the rest of the M1911A1s models is accurate, wonder if Isildur was the one who made the resource for the A1 too.

Off topic but I have a question for you, I'm going to make .45 Super rounds for IceStorms Heckler und Koch Mk 23 since it's the only pistol standardly capable of firing those rounds, I know Novas Mk 23 has them but I like the flashlight on IceStorms LAM more (despite Novas suppressor texture being better suited,) so my question is how much armour penetration should I give those rounds? What number would be immersive for such pistol rounds?

Jeez, I can only imagine the amount of work you'll have with the implementation of AmmoTweaks, speaking of, and also off topic (sorry) is Isathar doing ok? Hope he's not losing his mind. That goes you too Antistar, when was the last time you had a breather?

I can't really speak for isathar obviously, but I think he's hanging in there. As well as can be expected? Things in America are kind of tense right now, you might say.

For me, working on my mods is a hobby I enjoy, so in a way it's modding that's giving me a breather from worrying about how things will turn out with my dad's cancer. It's a good distraction.

More generally in Australia, things with the pandemic aren't going perfectly, but they're much better than most parts of the world, by the sounds of it. Also we're getting a reasonable amount of wet weather thanks to a La Niña effect, so it's looking hopeful that - unlike last Summer - we won't be spending Summer wearing respirators and wondering if we're all going to die in a fire.

Makes sense, so then Raider lists are separate from Gunner lists, I've been curious about that since I think I remember reading something about Gunners being classed as a type of Raider in the games engine..or in the CK or something.

Ohhh?! So far I'm only aware of two instances of Isildurs resource being utilized, the one is obvious, here for WARS and then in Modern Firearms latest release (which needs some work,) wonder if it was removed for some reason. Right now the Modern Firearms ones are too up scaled, both are too long..and a little too tall, and maybe too wide, their width is more accurate compared to their length and height though, the M1911 is missing its trigger..and in fact I think they slapped it onto the M1911A1, for the A1 the trigger is too far forward, but the rest of the M1911A1s models is accurate, wonder if Isildur was the one who made the resource for the A1 too.

Off topic but I have a question for you, I'm going to make .45 Super rounds for IceStorms Heckler und Koch Mk 23 since it's the only pistol standardly capable of firing those rounds, I know Novas Mk 23 has them but I like the flashlight on IceStorms LAM more (despite Novas suppressor texture being better suited,) so my question is how much armour penetration should I give those rounds? What number would be immersive for such pistol rounds?

I don't know about the "Gunners are actually a class of Raider" thing; that could be referring to a lot of things. Like maybe they use some of the same combat behaviours or something.

I was trying to avoid saying this earlier because I don't like giving this kind of... unsolicited negative criticism about someone's mod, but so you don't feel like you might be missing out on something; the port I saw of Isildur's M1911 resource wasn't very good.

I don't think Isildur has done an M1911A1; if so, I would have used it instead of the M1911, most likely. ;)

I don't know much about .45 Super ballistics (or .45 ACP ballistics either, really), but I got the impression that neither of them are considered particularly armour-piercing by modern standards. Unless there's one with a penetrating core or something, if it was me I'd probably just have the .45 Super do more damage, rather than give it (more?) armour penetration.

I think they use the same AI combat behaviour and dialogue behaviour, considering they talk like Raiders.

I see, likely in such an instance an inexperienced mod author, everyone's going to start somewhere right, I still mainly tweak plugin files and NIFs, seldom ever touch textures those are like my bane. I could say the other likely scenario but I'll refrain from this.

Curious where IdleSheep and the MF team got the resource for the M1911A1 then, it is a really nice model, I can peg out the differences in Isildurs resource M1911 and this M1911A1, be even better once they fix the triggers and the weapon scales. They might have in this 2.6.6.2 now, but there's a lot going on there than just those 1911s.

From my own research apparently .45 Super is just modernized .45 ACP with higher PSI and muzzle velocity, .45 ACP used to be among the best rounds for military use until more modern rounds like 9mm and what not came about in which .45 ACP was only slightly better, so they made .45 Super, so damage, maybe range and faster travel speed.