Playstation Vita

RubikNight

After attending the Asia Game Show 2011 last Christmas (2011) I was convinced enough after play testing the PS Vita and it's abundant amount of ingenious games to buy one. Unfortunately, the craze in Asia (well, more like Malaysia, Korea, Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore) it was very hard to find one. Luckily, there was one left at Hong Kong Records, the HK version of HMV (which in my IMHO is better in selection).

The guy selling it to me bought one him self, and all the other stores (Sony Style, other gaming stores, black market) didn't have any left thanks to online pre-orders. The price was of course higher by $60 then it suppose to be, and with that money I could easily get myself ANOTHER PS3 or a Xbox.

But the Sony fanboy and pure Christmas glee got the better of me and I pulled out my wallet and gave the man the money he needed for me to leave the store without the alarm going off.

And with that, I enjoyed Uncharted:Golden Abyss, which was a Uncharted game to it's fullest, even improving on certain error's in previous ones like giving a reason for getting treasure other than a trophy (expanding on the story) and the oddest or should I say most brilliant use of the touch screen/back rear camera.

Here's a example:

At one point Drake and Chase (his romantic interest this time round) are holding up a blank parchment. This parchment is then put into light, where in turn, I had to put the PS Vita near a bright light, and the closer it was to the light, the more text in the parchment it revealed.

There are other small things like charcoal rubbing and puzzle pieces being put together and being able to guide Drake across climbing sections with one touch. You'd really have to play the game to see how beautiful it is for a portable.

Almost PS3 quality is a bit a of a exaggeration though.

Certain character models, most notably Sully, look out of place, and fire looks cheaply done. Of course after seeing Uncharted 3's any fire looks quite cheap...XD.

That's just one game, there's still plenty of other ace titles I have tried (and finished) at AGS. Gravity Daze was one of my favorites, but playing it will be the only justification you can get, as it is one of the most unique titles.

Of course Vita is also a Media device. Along with the PSP offers (Video, Music, Photos, Internet Browser) there are also Near, Party and Trophies. Though they seem small additions they actually add a lot. Near gives a 2km radius of other PS Vita players, what they are playing/doing, there recent activities, PSN connectivity, while party is that long awaited part chat, no matter what game. Another thing is the Live area, which is like the Xbox dashboard, but in the LA's case, multiple tasks can be done.

The internet browser is nothing like the PSP's, it's a fully realized one, and is like the Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad's.

So, worth the day one purchase? Not really, but definitely the best portable gaming device out there now.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lucky, man i can't wait for the PSvita, I'm a huge fan of anything portable thats almost as powerful as a ps3, atleast its more powerful then the 360.

I already pre ordered the Vita in full and a 32gb memory card and game to go along with it.

take it from me a portable ps3 is worth it.

just give the developers time to make use of the psvita properly, for a first time release the games look good so far.

Note the resolution can compensate for hardware specs.

Dust 514 is coming out on the psvita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD3k_Y6uzAE

http://community.us....tart=0&tstart=0

and psvita vs 360 hardware debate..

Edited by Thor.

I don't tend to use portable console that much anymore (except for Harvest Moon:FOMT :happy: ). I was really amazed buy just how powerful they are getting. Even the 3ds graphical capabilities (legend of zelda remake and Resident Evil) were mind blowing, and this PS vita thing is topping that. If Dark Alliance 3 or Dark Cloud 3 were to come out on this little thingy I would simply say: 'Sony, my wallet is here with an undisclosed amount of money in it. Take what you must and leave the handheld with me' :biggrin: .

The PSVita isn't probably going to do as well as they want because it's just doing the same thing again, and it's designed for a specific part of the market that's waning in numbers. If anything, the real piece of hardware they need to bring marketing focus on (especially in North America) is the Xperia Play. It's a gaming handheld/smartphone hybrid, and has some elements gamers do want when it comes to finding a cellphone, like the slide-out controller...

The PSVita isn't probably going to do as well as they want because it's just doing the same thing again, and it's designed for a specific part of the market that's waning in numbers. If anything, the real piece of hardware they need to bring marketing focus on (especially in North America) is the Xperia Play. It's a gaming handheld/smartphone hybrid, and has some elements gamers do want when it comes to finding a cellphone, like the slide-out controller...

thats what i think. the reason the PsP failed is because it tried too hard. it had full title games on there, but the games were almost too big for the PsP. the second analog stick helps, game wise. but its still trying to be a full console on its own. and for a lot of ppl, no one is going to sit there and play a handheld when they have a Ps3 or PC or whatever sitting right there. the only time handhelds come in handy is for trips, or killing time, or the occasional play session. which is why the 3DS excels. its games are designed to be fun for the time period they would be played, whereas the PsP games are designed to be full console games that you gotta play for 8 hours a day. but again, very few want their console of choice to be a handheld.

More Psvita news, psvita sales doing well.

http://www.examiner.com/tag/ps-vita

Wow the Uncharted: Golden Abyss is 2777 MB nearly 3gb in size, not bad at all.

Unlike the 3ds and psp that are capped at a certain data size apparently the psvita isn't.Means better quality games.

Edited by Thor.

More Psvita news, psvita sales doing well.

http://www.examiner.com/tag/ps-vita

Wow the Uncharted: Golden Abyss is 2777 MB nearly 3gb in size, not bad at all.

Unlike the 3ds and psp that are capped at a certain data size apparently the psvita isn't.Means better quality games.

which just reinforces my point i made above. i think te biggest turn off of this Vita (to me) is the fact it tries to be a console....i bought a PsP but i never played it cause i found that while i was home, i chose my Ps3 over my PsP (who wouldnt?) i dont go on trips so i never had car rides to play it. i played it very rarely just on its own, like before bed, but other then that, i had no reason to play it over the Ps3.

I go on trips all the time, I might possibly head down to the USA, down in Florida for a change this year :biggrin: So ya something like this is a dream come true. Edited by Thor.