Adding/Removing masters with FO4Edit?

Murielkai

Yes. Right-click on the ESP name > Add Masters.

If you want to remove masters, click on the FILE HEADER underneath the ESP and on the right side you can choose which ones you want to remove.

You don't want to remove them that way. What you want to do is use the "Clean Masters" option.

That will remove any masters that aren't needed (i.e. no records in the plugin reference that master). Otherwise you'll cause issues with your plugin due to bad references. As an example, if you were making an AE patch for a mod's armor, added the AE keywords to the new armor, then manually removed AE as a master, there will be leftover references to the AE keywords, and the mod will have issues. One common issue with bad references like that is the game crashing.

• 2 years later...

Hopefully you guys are still here and can help me out but I added all the better settlers to a merged file ok bettercleanfacepack has some string errors which were no big deal I was able to ignore it and successfully build the merge. I installed to my game, yes I included the pny hairstyle and elis mod as well which were required. Now when I unchecked the other better settlers mods, the game crashes on bootup. I couldnt figure it out so I rechecked bettersettlerscleanfacepack, ok the game boots up fine, but why I have that esp in my merge, why will the game not let me start unless i also have that esp checked as well. I dont understand I cant even uninstall it either or it will crash. I wanted to try and remove the dependancy of the bettercleanfacepack and have it need my merged file instead since betterfacecleanpack requires better settlers.esp, that file is in the game yet is merged. I cant figure it oout and the mod author was kinda stumped, looking for great minds that can maybe help me figure this out.

So check this out guys, I wanted to merge a few mods over which works fine yet when I got to uncheck 1 of them the game will crash upon startup, if I recheck it, the game boots up, all other parts of this mod work well except this one esp. I am trrying to remove the dependencies from it except there is no longer a remove option, I dont know why it was removed. What I would like to do is to say this file doesnt need that esp anymore it needs this esp (the one i merged with that esp in it. Is it possible to do, would that work? Ok update on that if I rename the dependancy file to the file I merged it to this file now says that another esp is missing and wont boot up, so this is not gonna work either damnitt. BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp will not let me uncheck it or the game will crash I guess any help with that would be fantastic

So check this out guys, I wanted to merge a few mods over which works fine yet when I got to uncheck 1 of them the game will crash upon startup, if I recheck it, the game boots up, all other parts of this mod work well except this one esp. I am trrying to remove the dependencies from it except there is no longer a remove option, I dont know why it was removed. What I would like to do is to say this file doesnt need that esp anymore it needs this esp (the one i merged with that esp in it. Is it possible to do, would that work? Ok update on that if I rename the dependancy file to the file I merged it to this file now says that another esp is missing and wont boot up, so this is not gonna work either damnitt. BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp will not let me uncheck it or the game will crash I guess any help with that would be fantastic

The option is CLEAN MASTERS.

But you can only CLEAN/REMOVE masters if you remove any reference to the Master you want to remove, from the Mod.

The option is CLEAN MASTERS.

But you can only CLEAN/REMOVE masters if you remove any reference to the Master you want to remove, from the Mod.

What do you mean?? Ok here is what I did, Installed better settlers, required 7 mods "crap that sucks" ok so I merged them, the cleanface.esp had some errors about no strings for ghouls, ok cool im only merging, ignore error, successful build, I install merged esp. uncheck all better settler esps and start the game, crash, what the heck, didnt tell me anything 1 at a time i rechecked each better settler esp and tried it, ok cleanfacepack when checked, game started fine, damn damn, if I leave that checked it leaves red outlines saying better settlers master is required, ok its there in my merged file damnitt lol. So I wanted to tell cleanfacepack to not be red and read mybettersettlers.esp merged file rather than bettersettlers esp. ok had to use old f04edit to change the master name to mybettersettlers.esp, ok start the game, game now says bettersettlers.esp is missing.....what I NEVER HAD THAT 1 CHECKED, EVER. So the game thinks that cleanfacepack is bettersettlers for some reason, again I change name back and it works. I for the life of me just need to figure out why the game will not start without bettersettlerscleanfacepack checked.

if you do deep copy/override in f04edit, there is a change 1 of the esp become a master, fo4edit will tell you so, if this esp is missing after the merge the game will crash

as for the clean/remove if anything points to lets say harbor, you have to remove everything that belong to harbor, removing a master true fo4edit is not a wise thing to do

Would you possibky say you were pretty good with fallout 4 do you think you could merge the better settlers mod along with azarsponytale hairstyles and elis armour commendium for me and see if you have a successful merge. I did it on other computer and the mod merged and installed fine. Yet on my main computer it will not let me remove bettercleanfacepack, all the other 1s i can uncheck and delete and they work with the merge but bettersettlerscleanfacepack will not remove from my game for some reason, like something wants that file to stay in my game.