Xbox 720 to ban second hand game sales ?

Marthos

If the other don't follow then M$ are shooting themselves in the foot

after the nefarious DRM stunts lately - by various manufacturers

are you certain they are aiming at their "foot"

not someplace a bit higher?

You sometimes wonder what these companies are thinking. Anyway this would require an internet connection, something a quarter of 360s don't have.

requiring internet connection to activate games

has established precedent

so

ain't no problem here

just print the requirement on the game box

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the other don't follow then M$ are shooting themselves in the foot

after the nefarious DRM stunts lately - by various manufacturers

are you certain they are aiming at their "foot"

not someplace a bit higher?

You sometimes wonder what these companies are thinking. Anyway this would require an internet connection, something a quarter of 360s don't have.

requiring internet connection to activate games

has established precedent

so

ain't no problem here

That's quite a hit in terms of both hardware and software sales.

I for one, as a former xbox 360 user, would spit in the face of every xbox employee before they tell me I need to pay for xboxlive, on top of my internet, and then tell me I need to fork over $60 for every single game I buy. That will be the death of consoles, but probably not some people just hand over the money because they don't think they can make a difference.

Like they do on PC games... In small print, usually on the back, relegated to some margin somewhere or a plain listing in the game requirements where few rarely look.

Regardless, making an internet connection as well as a paid Live membership required to play will likely kill console sales. Expect them to blame Piracy.

Like they do on PC games... In small print, usually on the back, relegated to some margin somewhere or a plain listing in the game requirements where few rarely look.

Regardless, making an internet connection as well as a paid Live membership required to play will likely kill console sales. Expect them to blame Piracy.

who said requirement to play

was stated

requirement to activate

who said requirement to play was stated requirement to activate

Erm, every game with this sort of thing cannot be played unless you activate. Activating, by nature of having any meaning at all, would mean that the game would be unplayable until it was used, connected online, and the local machine was given a patch or something that would allow the game to be used. It's the same process that has been in place for PC games for several years. It's a main component in keeping people from reselling their games since the code related with a disc can only be registered to one machine. And unlike a computer, consoles don't have the argument about having to reformat or delete data every now and then. Activation and being able to play have always been hand in hand.

This won't be the death of consoles, only the death of good video games.

Mindless sheep will always buy Xbox games because they are mindless.

I hate the video game industry more and more these days, might as well go for indie games like Minecraft.

well honstly the biggest problem I see is that every dev company wants to stay "safe"

By safe I mean, if they have a successful title, they make a million sequels. Honestly, I thin Mass Effect 1 was good, but every game is pretty much the same to me >.> It sucks just like the old KOTR in the way that... whe you finish the story, youre 100% done the game, and ur only choice is to restart the story. (old kotr was awesome though.)

CoD, Halo, MoH, battlefield, GoW: all guilty as charged.

Just about any EA game is guilty.

They make new games with little changes in features, but essentially it is all the same. Not much new content. Take minecraft for example, he had a new idea and thought it was worth it. Super successful. Crackdown was a cool game (more so the first 1). They went out of business :(

There just seems to be less and less new stuff to choose from. I remember when original xbox was out and I owned like 30 games and played all of them because they were all so diverse... and fun. screw graphics if it means killing the fun.

(my all time favorite was morrowind!!)

You know, is there any consulting firms out there that are focused on the developmental, sales, and marketing decisions of the gaming industry? Because I'm starting to wonder if that's what's missing here when it comes to all these "problems" - There's no second opinion from a professionally experienced third party to listen to, so bad decisions like these get through...

You know, is there any consulting firms out there that are focused on the developmental, sales, and marketing decisions of the gaming industry? Because I'm starting to wonder if that's what's missing here when it comes to all these "problems" - There's no second opinion from a professionally experienced third party to listen to, so bad decisions like these get through...

Its the companies that are writing DRM software that perpetuate the myth that they can increase profits, by spending money...... on DRM. That is the root of the fallacy. Unfortunately, the corporate execs, and bean counters by into this, hook, line, and sinker, and we the end-user are saddled with buggy DRM software, that sometimes makes the game unplayable, and can even screw up your computers hardware. And they wonder why piracy is on the rise? I think it would be interesting to see which follows, and which leads, is was piracy escalating BEFORE DRM was introduced, or, did the rate dramatically accelerate BECAUSE of DRM? My bet would be on the latter scenario.

Another side benefit of the DRM, (at least, in the corporations viewpoint) is it kills the secondary market. Once installed, that's it, you can't sell it to someone else, and expect them to be able to play the game. Video gaming in general is shooting itself in a sensitive portion of its anatomy. They are going to DRM and control themselves right out of the market. Even now, M$ actually LOSES money on the XBox 360...... they MAKE their money on games, and licensing fees.

I gave up expecting any kind of intelligent decisions by corporate executives a while back. (about the time Oblivion was released, oddly enough.....)