[LE] Important info for mod authors regarding official HD texture pack

QuickFox

Is it allowed so upload the extracted textures to make it easy for everybody?

No.

A user on Hvergelmir's Armor Retexture facebook group submitted this other solution:

You can also use texture packs with the official HD pack like this:

To do it deactivate both HighResTexturePack01.esp and HighResTexturePack02.esp and modify your skyrim.ini like this:

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

This is by far the most simple and user friendly way to do it...

EDIT:

Or even better, use the "load loose files" function in the preferences. Without being able to confirm this as I speak, it should work if you just leave the .bsa files unchecked. According to Vurt this should work as unchecked .bsa archives always are loaded FIRST. And I'm sure it does considering how Update.bsa is unchecked but used...

Edited by lthot

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IVIason, that seems like a bad idea; All concerns for piracy aside, its several GBs of data that would be a big burden to the Nexus servers. There's a program called FallOut Mod Manager (FOMM) that will let you unpack the BSA files easily. If you dont have the HD texture packs yet, Im sure they'll show up on *not allowed* or other torrent sites soon; not that I advocate piracy in this instance, just saying that its preferable to distribute it via peer-to-peer rather than needing to pull it off of a site like this which would negatively affect everyone else using it.

Yeah, great idea placing textures/meshes under control of ESPs...

For now, I just disable the ESPs, not tested enough the consequences tough.

Yep, 'load loose files' is definitely not there for me, havent seen it since the 1.4 patch fixed the 'data files' part of the launcher so that it now lists files in a single column, and not scattered all over the place if you had 30+ mods like me.

Yes, Whatever the differences are so minimal than if the whole BSAs are being disabled it is just not worth downloading but the havoc the ESPs do to body textures is unbearable.

Anyway I'm sure someone will find the better way to "fix" that marvelous idea of BSA Esp controlled and them I may reactivate them.

Edited by nosisab

You can also use texture packs with the official HD pack like this:

To do it deactivate both HighResTexturePack01.esp and HighResTexturePack02.esp and modify your skyrim.ini like this:

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

I just delete HighResTexturePack01.esp and HighResTexturePack02.esp and change the [Archive] part. :)

Confirmed, That method works Ithot;

I note that it must be done to the "data\skyrim.ini", not the one in "documents\my games\skyrim\"

The load loose files option got taken out in the 1.4 patch, afaik.

Weird.... I don't have a data\skyrim.ini file. The only one is in my games\skyrim.

Windows 7, FWIW.

Confirmed, That method works Ithot;

I note that it must be done to the "data\skyrim.ini", not the one in "documents\my games\skyrim\"

The load loose files option got taken out in the 1.4 patch, afaik.

Weird.... I don't have a data\skyrim.ini file. The only one is in my games\skyrim.

Windows 7, FWIW.

Im running windows 7 and I have one.