We're Hiring: Vortex developer

Dark0ne

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57024776.

cc19980623cc wrote: Is Java/C++ no longer a thing? That's what they teach in my univ... Not JS, not even Python. I'd be grateful if 1/4 of my knowledge will be useful finding a job in near future.... :(

Most Computer Science degrees still teach Java because it's an example of OOP that, if learnt properly, basically means you can learn any other language pretty quickly.

In response to post #57024776.

cc19980623cc wrote: Is Java/C++ no longer a thing? That's what they teach in my univ... Not JS, not even Python. I'd be grateful if 1/4 of my knowledge will be useful finding a job in near future.... :sad:

Most Computer Science degrees still teach Java because it's an example of OOP that, if learnt properly, basically means you can learn any other language pretty quickly.

I'm old enough to remember the school I studied CS at went from Pascal to Java virtually overnight. It was a little jarring. In hindsight, they were more teaching me how to think like a programmer and break down problems into discrete steps rather than teach me any particular language (whichever was the fad of the time). Which has served me well muddling with various other computer languages depending on the task at hand and with computers in general.

Oh man! This topic has taken a turn. In *my* CS curriculum the institution had just made the switch from Ada as the introductory programming language. (I still have the Ada compiler CD we were handed at the beginning of the course. It's still shrink-wrapped. :laugh: )

Best software development tip from the whole year? "Never go to production in the same language you used to prototype."

<p>I just got a new computer, I'm looking to fresh install all of my mods and am not afraid to play with all of them a few times or more testing the new vortex and reporting any and all issues I come across.  I'm not a programmer, but I am great at getting screenshots, troubleshooting, debugging when I can find notes and log files to dig through.  I would LOVE to get in on a pre beta release of vortex now that I have a machine that can run all the mods for the games I play.  I mostly have fallout 3, new vegas, 4, skyrim, and a small list of others with the coinciding dlc but can add to that list if requested to run a test or two as well.  I realize this isn't the appropriate place for this, I am sorry for that, I couldn't FIND the appropriate place lol.  I'm also great at keeping my mouth shut as to not spoil it for you guys when the big day comes for the release to public.  I would consider being able to be a part of this project as a late christmas, and early birthday present!  I've used mod manager, and NMM, and FOMM.  NMM was my favorite of them all, only because I ran into so many problems with the others.  It's the most comprehensive mod program I've ever used, and I only wish I could have used it for other games back when I first got into PC gaming.  Life has been, frustratingly, simpler with it.  To the point I nearly forget sometimes how much some games take just to get a simple character editor up and running smoothly.  Thanks so much for reading this, delete if it's not acceptable, but I would be very grateful and honored to help out.</p>

Not paid to help btw, I just want to help. Getting to use vortex would be more than enough payment in and of itself :)

Edited by haguerepairguy

In response to post #57024776. #57025386 is also a reply to the same post.

cc19980623cc wrote: Is Java/C++ no longer a thing? That's what they teach in my univ... Not JS, not even Python. I'd be grateful if 1/4 of my knowledge will be useful finding a job in near future.... :(
Dark0ne wrote: Most Computer Science degrees still teach Java because it's an example of OOP that, if learnt properly, basically means you can learn any other language pretty quickly.

I think you're right on this one, because Java did give me a good overview how OOP works. Still I wish they teach me more practical stuff (i.e. data structures, design patterns) rather than boring and superfluous stuff.

Just out of curiosity, does Nexus accept univ graduates (fresh out of college)? I believe that I'm a competent programmer but sometimes lack of industry experience is a big no to employers in the States. Thanks!

In response to post #57024776. #57025386, #57036416 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote: Most Computer Science degrees still teach Java because it's an example of OOP that, if learnt properly, basically means you can learn any other language pretty quickly.
cc19980623cc wrote: I think you're right on this one, because Java did give me a good overview how OOP works. Still I wish they teach me more practical stuff (i.e. data structures, design patterns) rather than boring and superfluous stuff.

Just out of curiosity, does Nexus accept univ graduates (fresh out of college)? I believe that I'm a competent programmer but sometimes lack of industry experience is a big no to employers in the States. Thanks!

I would very much agree with Dark0ne on this. Java, C++, JS, python are all just tools, you pick the best one for the job. Don't pick a favorite and then try to solve every problem with that (When all you got is a hammer...)

Vortex uses js (or rather typescript) in code close to the ui and stuff that isn't performance critical, C++ where we need the performance or when we need to use low-level functionality not available in high-level languages and C# where we need to be compatible with NMM.
It just so happens that large parts of Vortex are ui related.
JS has the added bonus it's fairly easy to learn and there is plenty of freely available documentation. Since we hope for community contributions this is a fairly large bonus.

I never got Java tbh. I also learned it at uni, even had to work with it for a time but never understood why one would pick it over other available languages.
Still, if you're worried about getting a well paying job, Java is probably still the best language to know, it's the most sought-after skill for programmers if you're not looking for a specific Industry.
Just in consumer software I'd say it's fairly dead, but that's hardly the only market for software.