seriously? this is not right

jojje5

the praxis of this kabal that attempts to pool their mod resources together in order to block other modders not on their white-list i also think needs addressing.

I understand that they are only doing it for fear of piracy, but really is this the community that you want? it leaves little power left for management, and i would almost describe it as a "soft" hostile-takeover.

I'm curious regarding this particular statement that you casually tossed into your post. Where is your evidence regarding such a "kabal"? You'll need to back-up such a bold claim with overwhelming irrefutable proof, otherwise we can consider said utterance to merely be a figment of your imagination.

The relationship between Nexus and the mod authors who choose to host their mods here is one of symbiosis, both are dependant on each other for the continual health & growth of the site, and both mutally benefit from this arrangement, based upon the initial agreement regarding the sites TOS - as does the vast community of site users who are given access to all this additional content for their games. A (soft) hostile takeover, such as the one you alude to, simply does not exist.

the praxis of this kabal that attempts to pool their mod resources together in order to block other modders not on their white-list i also think needs addressing.

I understand that they are only doing it for fear of piracy, but really is this the community that you want? it leaves little power left for management, and i would almost describe it as a "soft" hostile-takeover.

OK... coming from a Deus Ex fanboy... do you have a single piece of non-Trilateral Commission based evidence to back that up? I know, that something similar did happen a while back with a couple of power armor mod authors getting into a grudge match, but it was hardly as nefarious to the extent that you are implying... it was really just a duel of egos. I've frankly never heard of mod authors pooling assets together to block out competing devs. Some Asian modders that I've contacted before have declined to let me use their stuff... but that was just IP protection on their part, and they were pretty polite about the whole ordeal.

I have not simply copy/pasted any ones code. The example i posted came straight from my head, and i wrote it specifically to raise debate as i know it is part of content that your kabal group of people attempts to claim ownership of.

I learned papyrus by reading Tutorials posted on this site, watching youtube and by watching other modders. so If i continue too script then i have no doubt that there is going to be many more occasions where i stumble on code used by others.

I do not mind seeking permission for major things, but if this is going to be a concern for every single little thing that i want to include in my mods then i feel that is a major issue for my creative process,

and if so i would much rather go back to the way we used to do it before modding had gained acceptance and share my mods on alternative channels while claiming fair use until the DMCA notice hits, rinse and repeat.

I don't know where you're getting this idea of a "kabal" from, but it doesn't exist. And your overall concern has no evidence - no one that I know of in the community is going to come after you for something as simple as the code snippet you posted / created, unless you name that person that you apparently had a PM fight with. No one should come after you if you recreate a mod they created, so long as you either get permission to use their assets or you recreate everything yourself. From my point of view, with the knowledge I currently have, you're just tilting at windmills.

And if you want to share your mods on "alternative channels", go right ahead. No one is stopping you. But if you intend to use those "alternative channels" to flaunt copyright and permissions, you won't have anyone to defend you when those DMCA takedown notices fall into your inbox (or the inbox of the hosting provider).

If that is all true - then great! i have no issues.

That there is no kabal and that i am just tilting at windmills is exactly what i wan´t to hear.

but i am not sure if i am convinced just yet. think i still probably like to hear from SirSalami or Dark0ne.

and maybe you like to explain why you have been pushing this so far?

when someone "well connected" mod author that is apparently associated with this Elionara/Mod drop gate thingy comes to talk copyright with a nobody like me and issues take down threats for things that i have not even published yet shortly after our public discussion, then it is easy to make assumptions.

AND IF i am not wrong - then i think it is really important to have this discussion to really make clear what rules applies to prevent abuse.

Edited by jojje5

That there is no kabal and that i am just tilting at windmills is exactly what i wan´t to hear.

but i am not sure if i am convinced just yet. think i still probably like to hear from SirSalami or Dark0ne.

when someone "well connected" mod author that is apparently associated with this Elionara/Mod drop gate thingy comes to talk copyright with a nobody like me and issues take down threats for things that i have not even published yet shortly after our public discussion, then it is easy to make assumptions.

AND IF i am not wrong - then i think it is really important to have this discussion to really make clear what rules applies to prevent abuse.

I've been pushing this because it is what the law affords us. I'm going to defend the rights we have under the law because that is the only protection we have for our work. No one else is going to defend our copyright for us - we have to do that ourselves.

And again, you keep talking about this "well-connected" someone but you won't tell us who it is. All you are giving us is conjecture without any evidence to back up your claims.

Edited by Reneer

I've been pushing this so far because it is what the law affords us. I'm going to defend the rights I have under the law because that is the only protection we have for our work.

And again, you keep talking about this well-connected "someone" but you won't tell us who it is. All you are giving us is baseless conjecture and you're making outlandish claims to boot about a "kabal".

If Dark0ne or SirSalami tells me that it is ok to name drop people and if that is required of me to defend myself then i will.

But i am not here to start a war of stir up a hornets nest. i simply just want to do a bit of fallout modding while i wait for Bannerlords to release.

If Dark0ne or SirSalami tells me that it is ok to name drop people and if that is required of me to defend myself then i will.

But i am not here to start a war of stir up a hornets nest. i simply just want to do a bit of fallout modding while i wait for Bannerlords to release.

First, you've already spoken out against the person in question. Secondly, Dark0ne / SirSalami isn't the person you need to talk to in order to "name drop" anyone - it is the person you're conversing with in PM that would need to give their OK.

And if you're not here to stir up a hornet's nest, you're doing a poor job of it. I mean, you've already insinuated that there is a secret mod author "kabal" and that people in the "kabal" are trying to undermine new mod authors. :tongue:

Edited by Reneer

There is no kabal. And if another member is harassing you then you need to make that known to Robin and SirSalami.

And the reason Reneer is pushing this is that you asked and have defended a position, you wanted to debate it and he is a mod author and has been around here, well I don't want to "date" someone but I've been here over nine years and Reneer's mods were some of the first I used back in Oblivion. Reneer has been a long time supporter of his fellow modders and to put it bluntly, he knows $hit.

Reneer, I believe he does need an answer about scripts from the powers that be. Though asking permission from the mod author, nice and polite might solve the mess sooner rather than later. However if the conversation has, as I think it may have, already tanked then that option may be closed at present.

Again I hope you have reached out to SirSmokedTurkey SirSalami (sorry it's a bit of a joke of mine to try to make up his name with alternate lunch meats) and Robin. They can answer your question and address the conversation you had with the mystery person. No muss, little fuss and bing bang boom you will know. In the meanwhile keep working on your mods. You can do whatever the heck you want in your own game.

First, you've already spoken out against the person in question. Secondly, Dark0ne / SirSalami isn't the person you need to talk to in order to "name drop" anyone - it is the person you're conversing with in PM that would need to give their OK.

And if you're not here to stir up a hornet's nest, you're doing a poor job of it. :tongue:

oh so there is a hornet´s nest here? that was what i was trying to verify.

well then something is wrong in the vicinity.

... and this is where I drop out. Have fun with your illusory crusade.

Lisnpuppy, thank you for the kind words. It means a lot. :smile:

Edited by Reneer

... and this is where I drop out. Have fun with your illusory crusade.

Lisnpuppy, thank you for the kind words. It means a lot. :smile:

fck it im off too..back home to moddb.

you sort your own crusades out.

EDIT: well s#*! that was a mistake to post my email here. now i got to change it.

PS. just saw this video that someone linked me

and that there is no Kabals going on here is such BS. apparently it even has a name AKA "the modders forum"

Please delete my account. i do not wan´t anything to do with this site anymore.

Edited by jojje5