Running Wrye Bash exits after splash screen

LawrenceFB

I just tried to run WryeBash on Skyrim from Vortex and its install directory, in both cases I got a one line BashBugDump.log containing 'testing UAC'. I tried my copy for SkyrimSE, which does not use Vortex, and it works as expected. I have tried 'Run as Administrator' even though I did not need this for SkyrimSE.

I tried reinstalling WryeBash to no effect.

Has anyone got any suggestions or should I try a reinstall of Skyrim and redeploy the mods?

I originally imported from MO. I am running on Windows 10.

Edit: I just tried xEdit and it only shows the game esm/esp. I have installed Vortex into c:\Program Files and selected per-User. The game and the Vortex\skrim\mods directory are both in C:\Games which is a mount point to my games SSD.

Edited by lefbarnes

Sorry, no suggestions.

Just that I can run it without problems on my setup. Skyrim SE and FalloutNV. Vortex on C:, Vortex Base set to directories on D:. Launch Wrye Bash/xEdit through Vortex and all operate Ok.

I’m also having this issue. Wrye Bash was working fine before I installed Vortex. Now it just displays the splash screen and then exits. It does this whether I try to launch it from within Vortex or from it’s own executable with Vortex closed. I’ve tried removing and re-installing Wrye Bash and had no joy. I’ve tried running the Beta 2 and Beta 3 versions of Wrye Bash and can’t get it to work.

I just tried to run WryeBash on Skyrim from Vortex and its install directory, in both cases I got a one line BashBugDump.log containing 'testing UAC'. I tried my copy for SkyrimSE, which does not use Vortex, and it works as expected. I have tried 'Run as Administrator' even though I did not need this for SkyrimSE.

I tried reinstalling WryeBash to no effect.

Has anyone got any suggestions or should I try a reinstall of Skyrim and redeploy the mods?

I originally imported from MO. I am running on Windows 10.

Edit: I just tried xEdit and it only shows the game esm/esp. I have installed Vortex into c:\Program Files and selected per-User. The game and the Vortex\skrim\mods directory are both in C:\Games which is a mount point to my games SSD.

It's possible that your install location, C: \program files is the problem. That location is subject to UAC, which can screw permissions up. Have you tried installing Vortex to C:\Games, along with all your other stuff. You just need to download the installer that lets you pick your install location.

Are you guys running the STANDALONE version or the Python version?

I'm running Wrye Smash without a problem, but I'm running the standalone version 307.201712232300, with a manual install

Yes the latest WryeBash Standalone from Nexusmods. I am certain that Vortex made an error with at least one of the configuration files and while xEdit coped and in a later attempt reported an error and went read only, WryeBash crashed because it was unprepared for whatever was wrong.

I have no problems with Vortex making errors at this stage, it is to be expected. I hope I do not have to loose the four hours it took me to setup the STEP Extended Skyrim.

Heres something interesting, I was playing around last night trying to fix this problem. Again tried uninstalling and re-installing various releases of Wrye Bash. Tried using installer versions, stand-alone versions and even the python version and kept running into the same problem. I even tried the advice on Wryeâs Github to generate more info in the dump log but it doesnât add anything other then the UAC message when I tested it.

I have no UAC issues as my games are installed on a seperate drive to windows and Iâve had no issues with Wrye Bash before this week.

I then went into Vortex and went to my Profiles and for whatever reason decided to switch from my Modded Profile of Skyrim to the Vanilla/No Mods installed Default Profile. Tried launching Wrye Bash again and now it opens and runs fine. So I went back to Vortex and switched back to my modded Profile, tried launching Wrye and the splash screen/instant close issue is back.

So it seems like Wrye Bash has an issue with Profile system and being able to detect game settings/mods when using profiles with Vortex. Oddly I also have the same issue with Fallout 3 which I manage with Mod Organiser, so it seems the only way to get round this issue is to not use profiles.

I have seen on the Wrye Bash Mod Page they have updated a line to say they donât offer support to people using Vortex, Nexus Mod Manager or Mod Organiser so it would seem its an issue they have with Mod Managers that utilise Profiles and virtual mod installation.

Edited by duckyduckyquackquack

I've actually been lucky enough today to get Wrye Bash to produce a BashBugDump.log file with something a bit more useful in it then the normal 'testing UAC' line. Hopefully this information might be useful to allow someone to diagnose the problem and then produce a solution or fix:

Wrye Bash starting
Using Wrye Bash Version 307.201712232300 (Standalone)
OS info: Windows-10-10.0.16299
Python version: 2.7.12
wxPython version: 2.8.12.1 (msw-unicode)
Using scandir 1.5
input encoding: None; output encoding: None; locale: ('en_GB', 'cp1252')
filesystem encoding: mbcs
bash.pyo 304 main: Searching for game to manage:
bush.pyo 76 _supportedGames: Detected the following supported games via Windows Registry:
bush.pyo 78 _supportedGames: Oblivion: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Oblivion
bush.pyo 78 _supportedGames: Skyrim: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim
bush.pyo 78 _supportedGames: Skyrim Special Edition: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition
bush.pyo 78 _supportedGames: Fallout4: E:\Games\steamapps\common\Fallout 4
bush.pyo 136 _detectGames: Detecting games via the -o argument, bash.ini and relative path:
bush.pyo 142 _detectGames: Set game mode to Skyrim found in parent directory of Mopy: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim
bush.pyo 156 __setGame: Using Skyrim game: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim
testing UAC
mods_metadata.pyo 227 __init__: Using LOOT API version: 0.10.1
load_order.pyo 251 _update_cache: Error updating load_order cache
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw", line 89, in <module>
File "bash\bash.pyo", line 411, in main
File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 3991, in Init
File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 4030, in InitData
File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1986, in refresh
File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1757, in _modinfos_cache_wrapper
File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1842, in refreshLoadOrder
File "bash\load_order.pyo", line 290, in get_lo
File "bash\load_order.pyo", line 247, in _update_cache
File "bash\games.pyo", line 227, in get_load_order
File "bash\games.pyo", line 246, in _cached_or_fetch
File "bash\games.pyo", line 676, in _fetch_load_order
KeyError: bolt.Path(u'Skyrim.esm')

I've actually been lucky enough today to get Wrye Bash to produce a BashBugDump.log file with something a bit more useful in it then the normal 'testing UAC' line. Hopefully this information might be useful to allow someone to diagnose the problem and then produce a solution or fix:

Wrye Bash starting
Using Wrye Bash Version 307.201712232300 (Standalone)
OS info: Windows-10-10.0.16299
Python version: 2.7.12
wxPython version: 2.8.12.1 (msw-unicode)
Using scandir 1.5
input encoding: None; output encoding: None; locale: ('en_GB', 'cp1252')
filesystem encoding: mbcs
bash.pyo 304 main: Searching for game to manage:
bush.pyo 76 _supportedGames: Detected the following supported games via Windows Registry:
bush.pyo 78 _supportedGames: Oblivion: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Oblivion
bush.pyo 78 _supportedGames: Skyrim: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim
bush.pyo 78 _supportedGames: Skyrim Special Edition: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition
bush.pyo 78 _supportedGames: Fallout4: E:\Games\steamapps\common\Fallout 4
bush.pyo 136 _detectGames: Detecting games via the -o argument, bash.ini and relative path:
bush.pyo 142 _detectGames: Set game mode to Skyrim found in parent directory of Mopy: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim
bush.pyo 156 __setGame: Using Skyrim game: G:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim
testing UAC
mods_metadata.pyo 227 __init__: Using LOOT API version: 0.10.1
load_order.pyo 251 _update_cache: Error updating load_order cache
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw", line 89, in <module>
File "bash\bash.pyo", line 411, in main
File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 3991, in Init
File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 4030, in InitData
File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1986, in refresh
File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1757, in _modinfos_cache_wrapper
File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 1842, in refreshLoadOrder
File "bash\load_order.pyo", line 290, in get_lo
File "bash\load_order.pyo", line 247, in _update_cache
File "bash\games.pyo", line 227, in get_load_order
File "bash\games.pyo", line 246, in _cached_or_fetch
File "bash\games.pyo", line 676, in _fetch_load_order
KeyError: bolt.Path(u'Skyrim.esm')

Can you tell me what you did, so I can generate the same detail to attach to my feedback. Thanks for your hard work.