[ERROR] Deployment failed

Lorkarion

Adding on - I think I found the problem for my particular situation.

After some point of installing mods, I think Vortex becomes out of sync -- it reported I had a total of 240 something plugins active. When I got messages of "load game with missing mod?" I tried uninstalling in vortex which lead to the failed to deploy and failed to uninstall errors.

So I decided to open up NMM and see - and it placed me at 257 or active plugins -- which leads me to think somehow vortex forgot how to count lol.

Anyways, after transferring the mods over to NMM and reinstalling all mods, excluding a few to make sure I didn't hit 255.

Loaded up a game and so far things seems fine - but I've yet to go around and make sure all things are functioning.

tldr;

I don't think Vortex keeps track of mods and plugins after a certain point. - and Mind you, after I did my first wipe, I made sure to nuke the game files, start over and installed all the mods -- which is where it left at being in the 240s for enabled plugins. I'd saw one more mod that I liked and installed it. Stating this as a way to say I was not installing/uninstalling a ton of mods in the middle of a save game.

@InkedVinny: Which version of Vortex are you running? This is not the same error as this topic is about, your problem is hopefully fixed in version 0.15.0 and newer.

i just found out about vortex last night, i downloaded the latest version

That didn't really answer the question.

Click the three dots in the upper right of Vortex and select About. The dialog that opens will display the exact version and it should read "VORTEX 0.15.1 TESTING" if you are on the most recent update.

i do have the latest version, the 0.15.1, but still the same error with Failed to deploy mods

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but this is terrible right now. I'm getting this prob and it's July. It can't even get basic file management right. lol. Already giving me errors after only installing 10 or so mods. And the root of the issue I can already tell is this software is "overthinking" and overdoing things far too much. You don't need a hundred dummy files in every directory, with fancy means of "deployment" AND screwing up my Skyrim INI folders to boot. It wants to tie itself to the game's folders too much and is overly involved and complicated on what should be a straightforward process. Which I think just creates more possibility for error. For all of NMM's slowness and faults and lack of control, it worked and knew it's target audience. Nor did it spread into the game directories with it's own configs. Simple installs to /Data. Nothing more, nothing less.

/rantoff

Sorry. I'm pissed, because I woke up this early part of the morning, stoked to finally play Skyrim.. and decided I'll give the new Nexus thing a shot since this is apparently the way things will work from now on.. might as well get used to it. Only to find it sucks and is already ruining things.

BTW, I can already tell that those dummy files alone would be a nightmare.. if I wanted to make BSA out of "loose mods". How the hell am I going to drag and drop things easily when I have all of those "_delete if empty" files spread everywhere? When once I could have dragged and dropped, now I have to type extensions in the search box for every type of file just so I avoid those "delete if empty" files.

I'm pretty sure you just don't understand how the tool is working and/or your setup and options is wrong.

I can tell you, that modding with Vortex works almost flawless and smooth. If you understand how it's working. Even if you're an advanced modder and create mods and patches yourself and understand how Bethesda's engines are ticking.

But maybe you can elaborate a bit about your actual problems, then we might be able to tell you, where you're going wrong. Like this, a rant doesn't help, because we can't see your problems at all.

BTW, I wouldn't create a bsa out of the actual game installation directory (i.e. data, where the "_delete if empty" files are) but out of the actual mod directories. Which, in case you don't know where they are, are easily found by right clicking an installed mod and "Open in File Manager".

I'm pretty sure you just don't understand how the tool is working and/or your setup and options is wrong.

I can tell you, that modding with Vortex works almost flawless and smooth. If you understand how it's working. Even if you're an advanced modder and create mods and patches yourself and understand how Bethesda's engines are ticking.

But maybe you can elaborate a bit about your actual problems, then we might be able to tell you, where you're going wrong. Like this, a rant doesn't help, because we can't see your problems at all.

BTW, I wouldn't create a bsa out of the actual game installation directory (i.e. data, where the "_delete if empty" files are) but out of the actual mod directories. Which, in case you don't know where they are, are easily found by right clicking an installed mod and "Open in File Manager".

It doesn't work flawlessly. All I did was Google the error, got instant results, and was brought to this thread... where I saw people talking about it for 3 pages. That you yourself are posting on now. To ignore it is strange. We're here talking right now.

As for BSAs, I'd do it that way too, but many mods use a fomod for customized options and then go into the Data directory themselves. I'm not the one installing the mods. The fomod is. And there's no way you or I would customize some things manually. Are you going to open up SMIM and take every mesh and texture piecemeal to get what you want? I could be persuaded to do that with maybe a 100 files. But not the thousands a mod like that has.

I wouldn't even do that if authors prepackaged their mod options this way already btw. That's what I prefer, but I understand it's a waste of time for them. Easier to just make a fomod and let others deal with it. I can't complain. As for my part, I make these just to have those custom options convenient for management and later use. Lately, I'm also ESL'ing things, which makes having BSA's to accompany them all the more neat as well.

I don't care about any help btw. I already uninstalled it. The point of the rant is just that. To rant and say I got the same issue. It already lost me there. I can use other things. I'm only mad because I woke up ready to get to installing the game and this screwed up fairly quickly. First, it started strangely disabling some mods.. then it start showing the error that the OP was talking about when trying to install new ones. I have better things to do than trying to fix it. Like using NMM and playing the game. :)

If Vortex complains about locked files, then there is some tool locking those files. Maybe you still got a tool like xEdit or the CK opened while you try to (de)activate a mod? I write this out of personal experience, because that's what happened to me a couple of times.

If you don't know which programs locks a file, you might want to use this tool:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/handle

or

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer if you want to have a UI.

Maybe older versions of Vortex could cause this without another tool locking a file. I think it sometimes tried to process mods in parallel threads if the user (de)activated multiple mods at the same time. That could cause that, if those mods were affecting the same files. But I've never seen that behavior with the current versions of Vortex (0.15.x).

About BSA: The mod installation directories, Vortex is creating and storing, are actually the result of what their FOMOD installer is creating. So if FOMOD moves and deletes certain loose files, the actual layout of those files is always represented in the mod installation directory. That's why these are the perfect source for creating a bsa.

If Vortex complains about locked files, then there is some tool locking those files. Maybe you still got a tool like xEdit or the CK opened while you try to (de)activate a mod? I write this out of personal experience, because that's what happened to me a couple of times.

If you don't know which programs locks a file, you might want to use this tool:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/handle

or

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer if you want to have a UI.

Maybe older versions of Vortex could cause this without another tool locking a file. I think it sometimes tried to process mods in parallel threads if the user (de)activated multiple mods at the same time. That could cause that, if those mods were affecting the same files. But I've never seen that behavior with the current versions of Vortex (0.15.x).

About BSA: The mod installation directories, Vortex is creating and storing, are actually the result of what their FOMOD installer is creating. So if FOMOD moves and deletes certain loose files, the actual layout of those files is always represented in the mod installation directory. That's why these are the perfect source for creating a bsa.

Thanks for that. I'll keep it in mind for the future. Don't take my ranting as permanent...Maybe one day I'll try this again (maybe I won't even have a choice). :)

Sorry, but this is terrible right now. I'm getting this prob and it's July. It can't even get basic file management right. lol. Already giving me errors after only installing 10 or so mods. And the root of the issue I can already tell is this software is "overthinking" and overdoing things far too much. You don't need a hundred dummy files in every directory, with fancy means of "deployment" AND screwing up my Skyrim INI folders to boot. It wants to tie itself to the game's folders too much and is overly involved and complicated on what should be a straightforward process. Which I think just creates more possibility for error. For all of NMM's slowness and faults and lack of control, it worked and knew it's target audience. Nor did it spread into the game directories with it's own configs. Simple installs to /Data. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just for the record: Modding isn't as straight forward as putting files into data. For example NMM also has to change ini settings, it just changed the file directly. Vortex maintains copies of the inis so it can distinguish the changes it made automatically from changes you made manually so it can remove itself cleanly.

When Vortex "purges" it removes only the changes it made itself, When NMM purges it just removes everything that isn't on a whitelist (original game files)

I would argue that thereby Vortex is way less intrusive. But yes, it has to go to some length to keep everything it did reversible and that opens up new potential errors.

But that's why we're having an alpha and why we need people to properly report errors and help investigate them. You approached this like a customer buying a finished product: You expected everything to work from the get go, when something didn't work you immediately got upset and instead of helping investigate the issue you went directly to ranting and uninstalling.

No offense but you obviously didn't read or understand the announcement post or simply didn't care. You are not the target audience of this alpha.

Besides:

We're here talking right now.

I don't care about any help btw. I already uninstalled it.

brilliant, really.

• 1 month later...

First forum post and minor threadsurrection to say I'm having the same issue. Vortex version 15.7. I played Skyrim VR all day with no problems. Then tried to install some animations tonight and got the deployment error message right after installation before I ran FNIS. Un-installed that mod and still have the same problems.

• 2 months later...