Looking for some advice on my first PC...

TheFirebird

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for all your help! If anyone out there is in the same boat as me and looking for information about buying or building a PC, try this site: logicalincrements.com - I found them through a random online comment on an article, and the site is really helpful. They even have guides for building for certain games too.

I have a Bare Minimum Rig, I'm going for a upgrade soon, but if it was me I would go for a

i7 "6 Core" Processor make sure it is 6 cores they come in 2, 4, and 6 core versions 4 cores or equivalent is a Minimum..

For Video get a 4gb or more card Nvidia or Radeon, currently I have a 2gb but it barely plays FO4 on Low Quality.

For Ram 16gb minimum 32gb recommended

Hard Drive get 1.5tb minimum or 2.5tb recommended F04 with all dlc's is a 35gb game always go for .5 hard drives if you got a 1tb you will only get 900gb's of usable space, same goes with 2tb you'll get like 1.8tbs usable not 2tbs but with a 1.5tb you'll get like 1.3tb usable and with a 2.5 you'll get slightly over 2tb's not below it..

My current system is

i2 Core 2 Quad ''That is a 2.8ghz 4 core equivalent Processor" But only has 2 cores.

Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2gb Video Card "Plays F04 well enough on Low Quality if you don't care about Hires Graphics"

8gb Ram

1.5tb hard drive

My current system works okay as a low end Machine, except it has some trouble with the FO4 Creation Kit.

I have a Bare Minimum Rig, I'm going for a upgrade soon, but if it was me I would go for a

i7 "6 Core" Processor make sure it is 6 cores they come in 2, 4, and 6 core versions 4 cores or equivalent is a Minimum..

For Video get a 4gb or more card Nvidia or Radeon, currently I have a 2gb but it barely plays FO4 on Low Quality.

Hard Drive get 1.5tb minimum or 2.5tb recommended F04 with all dlc's is a 35gb game always go for .5 hard drives if you got a 1tb you will only get 900gb's of usable space, same goes with 2tb you'll get like 1.8tbs usable not 2tbs but with a 1.5tb you'll get like 1.3tb usable and with a 2.5 you'll get slightly over 2tb's not below it..

My current system is

i2 Core 2 Quad ''That is a 2.8ghz 4 core equivalent Processor" But only has 2 cores.

Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2gb Video Card "Plays F04 well enough on Low Quality if you don't care about Hires Graphics"

8gb Ram

1.5tb hard drive

My current system works okay as a low end Machine, except it has some trouble with the FO4 Creation Kit.

What is an i2 Core 2 Quad?

At what resolution can a gt710 run fallout 4?

My current system is

8gb Ram

1.5tb hard drive

What is an i2 Core 2 Quad?

At what resolution can a gt710 run fallout 4?

I wouldn't even expect the game to run on a gt 710. It doesn't even meet minimum specs....

I can give you one important advice: Never stick to a specific brand. Always try to get the best price-performance ratio.
At the current time you could also get a Ryzen Processor instead of an Intel processor especially when you install DDR4 RAM.

It all obviously depends on your budget.

Back then I you could get a Xeon E3-1230v3 which is as good as the i7-4770 for less money than the i7-4770.

My budget back then in 2013 was not higher than 900 Euros and I didn't cared much about specific brands. Firstly I had an Radeon Card from AMD (R9 280) but the Factory OIverclock was too high and I had artefacts. I gave it back two times (two times the same issue) and bought a GTX770 for "cheap".
The card has it's best years behind technically especially given that the fans broke and I had to install new 120mm fans.

At the current time I would not buy a graphics card because of the high prices due mining cryptocurrencies.

I hope that this response is somewhat useful.

At the current time I would not buy a graphics card because of the high prices due to intentional market manipulation.

IMO posterity demanded the above correction. The current orchestrated efforts to destroy the internet and personal computing as a hobby are by no means limited to PC video controllers. Not coincidentally, these drastic supply shortages are limited to video cards capable of newest/next generation VR.

Edited by TheMastersSon

Hi guys!

Thanks for all your input so far, it's been helpful.

I think I've got most things sussed now, but I'm struggling to decide between the i5-8600k and i7-8700k. I'm mostly going to be gaming (mostly Skyrim), but I will be using a fair amount of mods, and ones with pretty graphics at that. I can't decide if it's worth it to spend the extra on the i7-8700k or not. Some places say yes, some say no, so it's hard to decide. If it helps to know, I'd also like to do my own modding in future, and I'm hoping to both make and run this kind of thing: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14158 as well as lighting and environmental overhauls.

I don't know if I'd need something more multi-threaded for rendering purposes, or what, I'm still kinda new to this whole thing.

The rest of the set up I'm looking at is this:

Seasonic M12II-EVO 620W (80+Bronze, ATX 12V) PSU/Power Supply

Be Quiet BK018 Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler

Phanteks Enthoo Pro – PC Case – grand-tour Case (Black)

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

Crucial CT8G4DFS824A 8 GB (DDR4, 2400 MT/s, PC4-19200, SR x8, DIMM 288-Pin) Memory

ASUS Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Prime A D4 ATX Motherboard - Black

Seagate Barracuda 7200 Desktop 1 TB Hard Drive

As for the GPU, since the prices are so horrible, I was planning on getting the NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti for now, and then upgrading it later on.

So what does anyone think? Does it sound ok/relatively balanced (apart from maybe the graphics card)? WIll the i5-8600k be good enough for my needs, or should I spend more for the i7-8700k?