Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

I looked for data Auri, I did. Found nothing. Like all I could find was a small section on the Forgotten Realms wiki and it revealed nothing. And if you read the entry in Half Orc and Half Elf in 3.5 they mention a lack of love for them both. Half-orc moreso. Look I know I had to flurb my way past that but the truth has already been said here. Sparrow had no IC reason to be there unless he was going to use the gala as a way to case the place. Makes sense if you are a thief. And since everyone was occupied with the Gala, he could have moved in and snagged a few items while he slipped through to the main event. Its simple, un complicated. a 2 or 3 post thing and he would have been RPing with the rest of you no problem and made up for the gold he lost.

But, Josh went off the guidelines. I understand through group consent so I am not picking on him. I never got a message telling me the intent, he just dropped a Godmod and let me walk right into it. Never gave me the chance to get away, or try to escape. This is what I am saying here. Communication is essential.

And I left the ToF group not because it was boring but because I had been removed from the RP and I figured it made no sense to still be in the ToF group. It was after the whole Lokii incident. When I came back, I never got invited again so I figured you either dissolved it or weren't using it anymore. But Josh said you were having group discussions so I figure you are still using it. Like I said, I have no problem with Sparrow, It was a logical conclusion, you always run the risk of capture. But, I had no data on Furthinghome, I couldn't find anything. It literally was this small article on Forgotten Realms Wiki and it gave me practically nothing. And since you all hadn't established anything with them, I figured they would show in my encounter. Sparrow never had a bad run in with the guards. He just saw Furthingharrow and figured it was because of the nobility. A slums only really forms when the township does not care or cannot afford to support them. That and Sparrow was a jackass, he had a huge chip on his shoulder for authority and he was taking it out on them by stealing in the name of the poor. It was never about the poor, it was about getting one back at the rich.

All I am saying is I would greatly appreciate some kind of hard knowledge of what I can and cannot do. Or what can be done with permission. I do not want to trip up these little Rule Mines by accident and end up screwing up again. Most my toons stick pretty close, look at Markas, or Kellak. Never had a problem with either of them, or if you did you never voiced it. See, this is the thing. It never gets brought up to me. The door is open, if you have a problem or have a correction you think I should take tell me and it will be addressed. But don't let it set, then fester and then sling it against me when s*** like this happens. It's totally unfair when you could have simply remarked on it and it would have been handled.

This all goes back to that, Communication. So please, work with me.

Macman, I have trouble believing that NOTHING could be found about the world lore. I did a basic google search on "elves in faerun" and the Forgotten Realms Wiki (which is listed in the second post of this thread by Naktis as being a good source of information) was the very first hit on the results, so it is not that difficult to find even basic information. Branching out from that search alone should have been simple enough. Along with this, I personally have mentioned to you that if you had any questions, please feel free to contact me with any questions. Yet you made no mention whatsoever that you were having problems with the lore or were uncertain about particular topics and/or ideas. When all else fails, why not ask your fellow RPers, some of whom have been writing in this very setting for quite literally years, and could have answers you need?

I am more than happy to help (ask any of the others; I almost spit out too much info, lol), but sometimes I have to be asked. I've been asked by nearly every member of ToF for the past 2-3 years about stuff, and I have no problem at all with lending advice or knowledge. As the song "Lean On Me" goes, "I'll share your load, if you just call me." Communication goes both ways, meaning you should have mentioned something as well in the face of difficulty. It's that simple. Situations like this simply became too commonplace for some folks' liking and patience. Besides, there was time to ask someone what was possibly going on/ being planned before it got to this point.

Communication is key, yes, but again, it goes both ways.

Just wanted to throw my two-bits in, here. And again, (this goes for everyone else, too), if there are questions related to the setting, both crunch-wise and fluff-wise, my door (aka: mailbox) is open. :smile:

Edited by GrueMaster

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Grue, I didn't remember that offer and now I will. Expect many messages lol. I am not familiar with Forgotten Realms, I often played Pathfinder and when it was 3.5 I always had the same group and our DM used his own custom universe. So I am up to date on table top rules, just not lore because we never really had to jump into the Faerun books or the Greyhawk ones etc.

But to be fair, I have always gotten the sense, especially over the last while that ya'll really didn't want me to communicate with you. Look... I am used to having issues with people on the internet, I am not good at it. I can write a story, but I can't talk to people. Not like I can in person. And I fear coming to you because I might trip yall up and end up getting tossed out. Like seriously, I get this cold reaction from all of you and it really makes me feel like you are just waiting for me to screw up so you can be rid of me.

I am not sure if that is the truth or just paranoia, trust me I hope that it is the latter I really do. But the largest reason I never come to you, is because I do not know what will happen when I do. I open the Roleplaying tab I have and go "What did I do wrong today?" It is literally like that for me. I want to be included, but I have been getting seriously mixed signals.

Edited by Macman253

Honestly, your best character(s) was Markas, with his hound, Fang. If you can get back into the groove you had with those two, I think it'd be fine. Whatever characterization or RP style you had going with them really worked. Might I suggest going back to them?

Also, do ask Grue about Realmslore. He really is the group resource on a lot of things, especially things that the wiki doesn't elaborate on.

Lastly, just like you have an "open door policy" concerning PMs, so do I. If there's anyone you should contact when you have questions about the RP in general, it should be me; you should never be afraid to talk to me when you need to.

And to add onto what Auri said about Markas, he worked the best because you kept him engaged with the group, he didn't go off starting fights or having his own solo adventures. He stayed and interacted with the group, avoiding the thing that has always gotten you in trouble.

D&D 101, never split the party and all that. And that's really all there is to it, interact with the party, share your plans with us, and if you can't think of something to post just say so and you'll get a bunch of ideas thrown your way without any trouble.

Trust me, we'd all rather toss ideas and the like your way than anything else. nobody likes the drama llama visiting and we'll do all that we can to keep it at bay. That's what this thread is meant for, sharing ideas for the RP and discussing how to make it better for everyone involved.

I have wanted to return to Markas since I before I made Kellak, he was my absolute favorite. It was everything about him. He was social enough to engage, I could still bounce off Fang (my unofficial second character) and he was plucky enough it made it fun to RP. He is a wanderer and I think enough time has passed for him to *cough* 'stumble' upon the gang after getting lost in the desert.

Markas has a tendency to follow his feet, so he can sorta get away with coming in and out. From here on out, consider him my preferred character, I would very much like to return to RPing him. If you all are okay with me pseudo resurrecting him.

I have wanted to return to Markas since I before I made Kellak, he was my absolute favorite. It was everything about him. He was social enough to engage, I could still bounce off Fang (my unofficial second character) and he was plucky enough it made it fun to RP. He is a wanderer and I think enough time has passed for him to *cough* 'stumble' upon the gang after getting lost in the desert.

Markas has a tendency to follow his feet, so he can sorta get away with coming in and out. From here on out, consider him my preferred character, I would very much like to return to RPing him. If you all are okay with me pseudo resurrecting him.

I'm fine with it. Might want to go back over his sheet though and update anything that you think needs changing.

Markas, dug him out of the hallowed pages of this forum lol. I mostly did some editing, fixing words etc. Only thing I really changed is the bow, Markas acquired a hand crossbow to replace his short bow.

Name: Markas Goblinsfoe

Race: Lightfoot Halfling

Class: Ranger/Rogue/Halfling Outrider

Alignment: CG

Deity: Tymora

Place of Origin: Faerun (Nomadic halfling clan)

Appearance: Markas is about four feet tall, he has green eyes lightly tanned skin with shaggy dark brown hair that appears to not have been cut for several months. He wears it in a ponytail to keep it out of his face. He has a small scar on his chin and a few others on his body from his wanderings. He is lithe and muscular from his travels and he has a pawprint tattoo on his neck.

Fang, Markas' mount and companion is a large black Mastiff with a white spot on his chest and long droopy jowls and ears. He constantly slobbers, he wears a thick leather collar with small studs in the leather. His saddle is custom made to fit Markas and it has saddlebags containing the bedroll, tent and other camping materials along with clothing and other odds and ends.

Armor/Clothing: Wears a studded leather jerkin with a blue and green kilt that he has converted into a makeshift poncho. He wears leather greaves and tall riding boots with metal plates fastened to the shins to protect them when he is riding. He has metal bracers to protect his forearms and a longsleeved undershirt made of cotton. His shirt has various cloth patches that were hastily sewn on to repair rips and tears.

Weapon: Hand Crossbow, Shortsword and dagger in his boot along with a buckler (for him it's a shield) along with a short spear which he keeps along with his quiver on Fang's saddle.

Magical Equipment: With the exception of his Tymoran coin which brings him good luck he possesses a Cloak Of Resistance made from an old adventurers prized Kilt which Markas fashioned into a poncho-like cloak. He has also mounted a bag of holding which he uses as saddlebags and an efficient quiver in which he keeps his crossbow, spear and arrows.

Personality: Markas is at heart a child. He is young and brash, taken to riding into the enemy on the back of his Mastiff slashing with his sword or flanking and raining arrows into the enemy. He enjoys drinking and eating and carousing as much as any other halfling and boasts that he knows hundreds of drinking songs. He is well traveled and speaks several languages beyond Common, including Dwarvish, Orcish and even Sylvan. Markas has a tale for every scar (most often embellished into complete fabrication) and is a competent storyteller. Due to his wanderlust he often travels with trade caravans and pilgrims and it has given him a cheerful demeanor. He is a devotee of Tymora and his lucky gold coin is mounted on Fang's collar, something many Outriders did. He has an intense love of 'The Road' and often speaks of it like it were a woman, often remarking on it with nicknames like 'Bonny Lass' or 'Beautiful' but that does not stop him from whistling or winking at Halfling women he encounters. Markas prides himself on his cooking, he often forages for his own meals and takes vast pride in his own independence.

Dislikes: Authority, being tied down, being in one place for too long, Followers Of Beshaba, Goblins and Bandits.

Fears: Losing his mount and best friend, Imprisonment and The Undead.

Attitude Towards Strangers: Friendly, unless they look suspect in case of which he is friendly but cautious. Otherwise he is usually very open, often engaging in conversation with them.

Attitude Towards Friends: Markas is very loyal to his friends, coming to their aid in battle and siding with them in arguments or disputes.

Opinion Of The World: "Life is a journey, you never know where you are destined until you reach it. It's best to enjoy every mile and adventure along the way."

History: Markas was born into a nomadic Lightfoot Halfling clan that traveled about Faerun. At a young age he dreamed of becoming an Outrider, the dog-mounted warriors and scouts of the clan. His father was one such Outrider and their Captain. He gave Fang, a Mastiff to Markas when he was of age to begin his training. Markas and Fang were inseparable during his youth, and when Fang had been properly trained and was large enough he and Markas quickly became one of the best warriors in the clan. Markas earned the name Goblinsfoe during an ambush in which he rallied the strewn out Outriders and lead a counterattack that broke the Goblin ranks and sent them fleeing. He left the clan not long after when he met a band of mercenaries. They spoke of their tales and the battles they fought. This made Markas and his victory over the Goblins seem small in comparison and asked to join them. They readily accepted and he parted ways with his clan and joined the Black Ravens mercenary company. It was the best time of his life and for five years he fought alongside them until the Black Ravens were betrayed and slaughtered in an ambush. Grimgor, the Half-Orc had sold them out to a group of bandits, Markas and Fang survived, but barely.

They were discovered by a group of adventurers after the battle, they had witnessed the fight and took Markas and Fang to Temple Of Tymora where they were healed. When Markas came to he discovered that his saviors had vanished and he was left in the care of the priests. During his recovery he got close to the priests, many of them ex-adventurers and wanderers, they spoke of their lives and in the few months he stayed with them he came to love the wanderer way of life, a Human named Hurbald gave him his lucky Tymoran coin as a parting gift. It took another three months but Markas tracked down the outlaw Grimgor and in the dead of night he crept into the Half-Orc's camp, tied a rope around his feet and drug him back to the village to claim the bounty on the bandits head. Rid of the murdering Orc he took to wandering, encountering a variety of people and places and adventures, joining several trade caravans and pilgrims he plied his skills wherever he could but would move on shortly afterwards.

Edited by Macman253

Sorry I haven't posted. Mack is leaving for college Sunday and one of my doggie's passed away last Saturday. I will try to get something up soon and get Sin out of jail.

I don't suppose anyone could perhaps miss her presence? lol

• 3 weeks later...