Is the Vortex download manager broken?

Rift164

I just got Skyrim VR in the last few days, and I wanted to add some mods to it, so I tried the Nexus Mod Manager v0.65.0 and it would never let me log in, so I decided to try the Vortex Mod Manager, I downloaded the newest version made 16, AUG, 2018 and after I installed, it it let me log in without problems, I start following this guide over at Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/8po7f5/abxy_mod_listguide_remastered_and_in_depth/

I added a "lot" of downloads to Vortex, and I spent a "long" time choosing and adding the downloads I wanted from mod guide, and they were downloading, I left the downloads to download over night, this morning I find that they had stopped downloading, so I try to "Resume" however every time I do hit "Resume" I get an red "error" that says "Failed to download" and when I click on "More" it says "Sorry, this download is missing info necessary to resume. Please try restarting it" however it also seems to remove the file from the list of downloads in Vortex Mod Manager.

I have about 80 downloads left to download in Vortex Mod Manager, and every time I try to resume a download the download get removed, is there any way to fix this?

No, the download links nexus generates when you start a download are only valid for a limited time and only within that time can the download be started or resumed. This is not something you can fix or I can fix on Vortex. It wouldn't be different with any other download manager btw.

No, the download links nexus generates when you start a download are only valid for a limited time and only within that time can the download be started or resumed. This is not something you can fix or I can fix on Vortex. It wouldn't be different with any other download manager btw.

How unfortunate, I spent a few hours adding links that I expected to download, I wish someone would have told me about the limited time download links.

Another question, one of my downloads was stuck half done, so does that mean that if you have slow internet that there is no way to download some of the larger files because the download link will expire before you can download them?

Edited by Rift164

How unfortunate, I spent a few hours adding links that I expected to download, I wish someone would have told me about the limited time download links.

Another question, one of my downloads was stuck half done, so does that mean that if you have slow internet that there is no way to download some of the larger files because the download link will expire before you can download them?

I think the trick would be, if you are going to grab large files, just do one at a time. Also, make sure that your computer is set to NOT go to sleep, or hibernate. So far as windows is concerned, if you aren't sitting there play solitaire, or whatever, after whatever amount of time is set, it will put the computer to sleep, and your downloads will pause. If the time allotted by the link then expires, you won't be able to resume the download, and will have to start all over again.

I think the trick would be, if you are going to grab large files, just do one at a time. Also, make sure that your computer is set to NOT go to sleep, or hibernate. So far as windows is concerned, if you aren't sitting there play solitaire, or whatever, after whatever amount of time is set, it will put the computer to sleep, and your downloads will pause. If the time allotted by the link then expires, you won't be able to resume the download, and will have to start all over again.

I was going to download some more mods but noticed that none of the mods that had downloaded were still there, I never installed the mods, just downloaded them, but now they are all gone, nothing in the "downloads" folder at all.

I never let any of my computers sleep or hibernate, I decided never to use sleep or hibernate way back in the Windows 95/98 days because it kept messing things up.

I would make one suggestion you might consider. Over the past few years I've used FMM, MO2 and now Vortex. They are all good and have their own strengths, but downloading is not one of them. Using each one I initially lost or misplaced various files, sometimes in pretty large numbers!

Now I never download a file through any of the managers. There is a large download directory divided into SSE and FO4 sub-directories on my D drive. I always go to the Nexus site and do manual downloads. Regardless of which manager I want to use, it is simple to just install from file whenever I want; and I haven't had any issues this way. Additionally, I have an external portable drive that contains the daily or weekly backups from the various directories. Right now there is about 450 GB of stuff in the download directory that is always available for games, but if Windows/Games/Managers causes problems the recovery operation is easy.

This environment can be volatile at the times least desirable. This way I know it isn't caused by the manager.

LOL