Top Posters In This Topic

hi you can get Vortex to run as a non steam + proton
Download the Vortex installer ->
click add Game ->
click add a non-steam game... ->
browse to the install file ->
click Add Selected Programs ->
find the Vortex installer in the steam list and the click properties ->
on the Shortcuts tab change the name from Vortex-Version-Number.exe to Vortex ->

on the Compatibility tab check the box next to Force the use of a specific steam play compatibility tool ->

start the installer and install like normal Click Play ->
you will need to find the prefix folder that was created when you installed Vortex you may find this folder in /home/UserName/.steam/root/steamapps/compatdata change the folder view to List and arrange by date or search for Vortex when you have found the folder make a note of the name of the folder for example "2684186698" ->
click properties for Vortex on the Shortcuts tab click browse and navigate to
/home/UserName/.steam/root/steamapps/compatdata/prefix folder/pfx/drive_c/Program Files/Black Tree Gaming Ltd/Vortex and select Vortex.exe click open ->

now if there was no errors you can now start vortex form steam

when you have installed the mods do not start the game from Vortex start the game from steam

Note when you start Vortex you will get an errors .net framework is broken to fix this errors you will need to use winetricks
WINEPREFIX="/home/UserName/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/prefix folder/pfx" winetricks --force dotnet46 fore example
WINEPREFIX="/home/userName/.steam/root/steamapps/compatdata/2684186698/pfx" winetricks --force dotnet46 fore example
this will install .net framework 6.4

you will need to install the Builtin Mod Browser Extensions to install mods

installing a web browser in the same prefix and adding the browser as a new tool on the vortex dashboard the setting to register to handle downloads links is not working

i will update this post with more information and fixes

Edited by madwolf2006

madwolf2006 your instructions fall apart at 'start the installer and install like normal ->' 'failed to launch Vortex ....exe' Steam doesn't recognize the game because it is a non-Steam game or mod. Steam will still manage launching the game. Archive manager also doesn't know what to do with it if I were to try to install it "as normal" . this seems like a reasonable work around but isn't working under these conditions.

These last few days I attempted to use Vortex for modding my SkyrimSE instance by running Vortex in a Windows Virtualbox VM and sharing the relevant folders from the host to the VM.

Sadly, move deployment turned out to be highly unreliable since it seemingly arbitrarily decided to refuse installing some mod files but not others and making the deploy and purge mods buttons useless.

Vortex also complained about not being able to watch the files, so I presume that whatever code does the filesystem interactions for Vortex only has limited support for the shared folders presented to windows as network shares.

If move deployment could be made to reliably work with network drives/shares(?) then this VM strategy could be a good workaround.

madwolf2006 your instructions fall apart at 'start the installer and install like normal ->' 'failed to launch Vortex ....exe' Steam doesn't recognize the game because it is a non-Steam game or mod. Steam will still manage launching the game. Archive manager also doesn't know what to do with it if I were to try to install it "as normal" . this seems like a reasonable work around but isn't working under these conditions.

hi

on the Compatibility tab did you check the box next to Force the use of a specific steam play compatibility tool and are you using a version of proton i am using proton experimental i will add screenshots to make the guide simpler to understand

Edited by madwolf2006

Hi,

maybe someone is interested in the new/rewritten Vortex implementation of my steamtinkerlaunch.

As announced here on reddit, the feature currently is only in git and will be part of a new release by the end of October

(if you're interested and find bugs or even want to contribute please use the open Vortex issue or create a new one).

Features (copy/paste from the wiki above):

- download of the latest version
- installation into an own Wineprefix/Compatdata
using an automatically picked/downloaded DotNet Wine/Proton version
- the Wineprefix/Compatdata path can be configured in the Global Menu
- find all supported installed games from Steam
- by autogenerating an own `libraryfolders.vdf` pointing to all real Steam Library Paths
- by creating registry entries pointing to to game dirs (if required - most Bethesda games)
- create and update symlinks for all found game config directories of all found games in the steamuser directory
- automatically add all found games into the Vortex settings and apply their download and staging folders
- create and update the nxm-protocol mime type for directly opening nxm with Vortex (renaming that from Mod-Organizer 2 when found)

Quickstart:

- Drag a supported game into a (self created) "Vortex" Steam Category & start the game (using stl of course)
- Command Line: `stl vortex start` or `stl vortex s`

Either way have fun!