You'll need to get a new app to open this nxm error

UberPlaysSkyrim

I've downloaded the mod manager, watched the video, and installed my hardlink paths. Open up nexus and try to download a mod and immediately get a windows alert saying: "You'll need to get a new app to open this nxm", then giving me the option of choosing the app store, selecting always use this app, or clicking away from the alert. I am unable to download any mods through Vortex and would like some help. Vortex is open and logged in. i'm running windows ten and both it and vortex should be the latest update.

Edited by UberPlaysSkyrim

Thank you, I attempted googling the error message several times and never found any results so I posted here. I apologize for it being a repeat.

Edit: I have checked the beginning pages of the vortex support forums and fail see this issue posted anywhere.

Edited by UberPlaysSkyrim

Thank you, I attempted googling the error message several times and never found any results so I posted here. I apologize for it being a repeat.

Edit: I have checked the beginning pages of the vortex support forums and fail see this issue posted anywhere.

That's because most of those threads are titled "Halp! can't download!!!"

• 4 weeks later...

This is the thing. Nowhere in any tutorial, step-by-step or anything does it mention the step to rectify the .35 file issue. Nobody mentions this because they all assume everybody knows everything about this when, like me, some people don't. Stop pretending we know how to get past the .35 file and someone PLEASE for the love of christ provide some explanation to this except for Settings--> Downloads --> Mod Manager.

There is no settings button aside from the account settings and nowhere there is there a button called "download". There's download history and the oh-so-fancy Vortex button but that will take myself and anyone with this problem back to square one and nobody who knows how to rectify this issue won't throw it into the Vortex FAQ for any reason.

I'm on the nexus right now and nowhere at any point does it tell you how to stop the .35 file conundrum. Just download and sail awaaayy! It's said.

Even in the beginner's tutorial, there's no mention of it.

What a load of nonsense from a pack of entitled elitist little know-it-alls.

You want to see this question relinquished from the repetitive humdrum basic 101 stuff that sloths could deduce months after their death, then somebody with the powers that be should throw it into the FAQ with "Vortex appears as .35 file before installation ever occurs, the c*** of a thing" or somesuch.

We, as aspiring modders, wish to be a part of this community, when the community expects new members to have manually written a copy of Skyrim in at least Javascript, Ravioli and CSS in the RED engine before acceptance. Even then, there's a paddling ritual.

I, as with any of us filthy, probably destitute and a little neckbeardy, discriminated newbies NEED to know these things if we want to continue without hassling the Gods of Modding for ridiculous requests.

"What a load of nonsense from a pack of entitled elitist little know-it-alls"

Do we know you by a different name perchance? This sure sounds familiar.

Good second post though.

I may have acted a little rashly when I said that. I was annoyed at having an issue that had no applicable solution and it was wrong of me to take it out on the people who I had asked for assistance. I'm sorry. I do indeed go by another name elsewhere though I don't recall ever saying those words specifucally anywhere else.

In any case, I was informed through my own post that the issue is really quite simple. Rename the file from filename.35 to filename.exe (eg: everonesalemon.35 to everyonesalemon.exe) so Windows recognises the installer for what it truly is. Should start calling my PC the Mystery Machine, amirite?

For anyone with the same issue, I'll pass this on as a potential solution so it can snowball somewhere else.

Again, sorry. And thank you, Nexus Community.

"What a load of nonsense from a pack of entitled elitist little know-it-alls"

Do we know you by a different name perchance? This sure sounds familiar.

Good second post though.

I may have acted a little rashly when I said that. I was annoyed at having an issue that had no applicable solution and it was wrong of me to take it out on the people who I had asked for assistance. I'm sorry. I do indeed go by another name elsewhere though I don't recall ever saying those words specifucally anywhere else.

In any case, I was informed through my own post that the issue is really quite simple. Rename the file from filename.35 to filename.exe (eg: everonesalemon.35 to everyonesalemon.exe) so Windows recognises the installer for what it truly is. Should start calling my PC the Mystery Machine, amirite?

For anyone with the same issue, I'll pass this on as a potential solution so it can snowball somewhere else.

Again, sorry. And thank you, Nexus Community.

I was reading your .35 reference as a mis-typed .nxm reference. It is not a file type I have ever heard of.

Can you provide any more information about .35 files? I have never heard of a case where it was appropriate just to rename anything to .exe.

The issue that the download of Vortex ends up with the wrong file extension is still a mystery. That shouldn't happen, and for the vast majority it doesn't.

It would help to get to know some details about the system of the affected people, to find a common denominator. Like the browser, the virus scanner etc. I'd suspect the virus scanner, it sounds like it doesn't like the executable and just renames it so it can't be executed.

So please tell us something about your system!