Disable mods not working correctly

PrismaticSkies

When I disable mods and their plugins and start a new save they aren't removed, with some still working and others causing black face bugs. And whenever I try to enable a new vanilla profile (all mods and plugins disabled) for testing purposes, I get an error message that the plugin list has failed to update:

enoent: no such file or directory, stat 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\vortex.deployment.json'Error at Object.chmodAsync [as isDirectoryAsync] (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\webpack:\src\util\fs.ts:182:3) at isDirectoryAsync (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins\gamebryo-plugin-management\webpack:\gamebryo-plugin-management\src\index.ts:54:13) at isFile (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins\gamebryo-plugin-management\webpack:\gamebryo-plugin-management\src\index.ts:121:31) at tryCatcher (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\util.js:16:23) at MappingPromiseArray._promiseFulfilled (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\map.js:61:38) at MappingPromiseArray.PromiseArray._iterate (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise_array.js:114:31) at MappingPromiseArray.init (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\promise_array.js:78:10) at MappingPromiseArray._asyncInit (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\map.js:30:10) at Async._drainQueue (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:138:12) at Async._drainQueues (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:143:10) at Async.drainQueues (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bluebird\js\release\async.js:17:14) at <anonymous>

Currently the only way to actually disable mods is to uninstall them, which is an absolute pain.

Ignore the strange way I worded this, I rewrote it to the point of being word salad and I can't be bothered to fix it lol

Edited by PrismaticSkies

You do not have to "disable" plugins if you "disable" a mod. Disabling a mod does not means they will be "removed" from Vortex. Disable means, that mod will not apply whatever it does in your game. If you want that mod to be completely removed from your load order / game, there is a tab on the right side of every single mod with the option to remove the mod.

After you click on the "remove" tab, another screen will pop up asking you if you want to delete that mod from archive. If you do not want that mod anymore, then I would suggest to check both and hit OK. NOTE : remember that removing / deleting a mod mid game will cause troubles to your game and that will not be Vortex's fault but yours.

In relation to some of them causing black face bugs, are you blaming Vortex for this ? If you are, then my friend you are absolutely wrong. If you are not, what that has to do with your subject post ?

"" Currently the only way to actually disable mods is to uninstall them, which is an absolute pain. """ >> Which is not true. I already explained above what to do and it is not a pain at all. But to give you the benefit of the doubt, if you are following my instructions and you are not getting things right, go ahead and post the problem in Vortex feedback. Click on the 3 vertical dots located in the right top corner and choose feedback. Enter your information in there and the dev team will look into the issue.

I worded my original post horribly, what I was trying to say is that even when all the mods have been disabled some of them are still applying to my game. I'm not trying to remove them, just get them to stop working. And I even tried uninstalling one of them, and... my original statement was actually wrong, it still applied to my game somehow. The plugins are not being removed when the mods are fully uninstalled either. I've been testing this on new games too, so there'd be nothing leftover in the save itself. The black face thing was just an example of what one of the mods was doing, it was kinda bad, a better example would be that Skyrim Flora Overhaul (the one I fully uninstalled, archive and all) is still completely working

I used Nexus previously, but I uninstalled it and deleted its mod files, so other than that I have no clue what could be causing this. And I even reinstalled Skyrim SE to make sure nothing got left in its files, still have the issue

Hmm, I didn't, should I try reinstalling NMM and see if there's any mods left I need to delete?

And I have been disabling things through the mod tab, all my mods are currently disabled

Reinstalling NMM won't help, because it won't know what loose files are left over in the directories (if any), because it doesn't have the installation information for those mods anymore

Ah. I'm at a loss for how else to fix this then, unless a reinstall of Vortex might help (assuming it doesn't delete my mods, I don't really want to reinstall them all again)

Edit: Not super important but just a thing, I looked in the Skyrim SE data folder, and the Skyrim Flora Overhaul esp is still there, which I kinda guessed since it's still visible in Vortex as well even though the mod itself was uninstalled

Edited by PrismaticSkies

Ah. I'm at a loss for how else to fix this then, unless a reinstall of Vortex might help (assuming it doesn't delete my mods, I don't really want to reinstall them all again)

Edit: Not super important but just a thing, I looked in the Skyrim SE data folder, and the Skyrim Flora Overhaul esp is still there, which I kinda guessed since it's still visible in Vortex as well even though the mod itself was uninstalled

Well, if you reinstall your mods with Vortex, Vortex will keep track of the files it writes, so then, it will be able to uninstall any loose files you had left over with your NMM install (if you install all of the same mods)

I reinstalled Vortex, still have the issue. I genuinely have no idea how to fix this, something's just not working properly. And I've already tried reinstalling most of my mods I think

Edit: Maybe if I could get the data folder to reinstall somehow? Sounds like that could go badly though

Edited by PrismaticSkies

Hi,

The error message you are receiving leads me to believe that you are still on 0.16.8, as this is an issue that has been fixed in the current 0.16.9 build.

That being said, just to be clear: disabling a mod's plugin does not necessarily remove that mod's impact on your game. Only if the mod consists of only a plugin, or a plugin and a bsa (because disabling the plugin makes the bsa unable to load). If the mod has "loose files" these will still be deployed in your data folder (stuff like textures and meshes, facegeom data).

To remove the loose files from the mod you need to disable the mod in the mods tab (not just the plugin in the plugins tab), and redeploy if you do not have automatic deployment activated.

Note that that only works for mods/files managed by Vortex. if you have tinkered with your data folder manually, loose files might still remain in there affecting your game.