Vortex is an unmitigated disaster

LeadvilleMatt

Guest deleted34304850

people are lazy. can't be bothered to read, or watch videos, or even search the forums for answers to their question that has been asked dozens of times.

also, the old saying of a bad workman always blames his tools. its never the fault of the person claiming vortex is so bad, never, not once, not ever. it's always the fault of vortex.

its a commonality that can be seen through all these posts from people who have made a handful of posts, and are slamming the program with little or no actual feedback on what their problems are.

sad really, but that's users for you.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to add the games and profiles Vortex manages for me:

Sims 4 - one profile, lots of mods

Fallout 3 - one profile

Fallout 4 - One profile, about 100 mods

Fallout New Vegas - two profiles

Fallout New Vegas TTW - one profile - really another Fallout NV profile

Fallout New Vegas New California - two profiles - really more Fallout NV profiles

Kerbal Space Program - one profile

No Man's Shy - One profile

Skyrim - ten profiles, averaging 150 mods each

Skyrim Special Edition - Nine profiles, averaging 70 mods each

The Witcher 3 - one profile

I abandoned all other mod managers a long time ago (about Alpha time).

Vortex is not perfect - yet - but it comes close enough for me.

I just want to add the games and profiles Vortex manages for me:

Sims 4 - one profile, lots of mods

Fallout 3 - one profile

Fallout 4 - One profile, about 100 mods

Fallout New Vegas - two profiles

Fallout New Vegas TTW - one profile - really another Fallout NV profile

Fallout New Vegas New California - two profiles - really more Fallout NV profiles

Kerbal Space Program - one profile

No Man's Shy - One profile

Skyrim - ten profiles, averaging 150 mods each

Skyrim Special Edition - Nine profiles, averaging 70 mods each

The Witcher 3 - one profile

I abandoned all other mod managers a long time ago (about Alpha time).

Vortex is not perfect - yet - but it comes close enough for me.

Impressive work for a mod manager that's "an unmitigated disaster!" :smile:

people are lazy. can't be bothered to read, or watch videos, or even search the forums for answers to their question that has been asked dozens of times.

also, the old saying of a bad workman always blames his tools. its never the fault of the person claiming vortex is so bad, never, not once, not ever. it's always the fault of vortex.

its a commonality that can be seen through all these posts from people who have made a handful of posts, and are slamming the program with little or no actual feedback on what their problems are.

sad really, but that's users for you.

Humility is not that easy to find in a human being so for somebody lacking it, it will be very difficult to accept responsibility for their actions and recognize publicly that they were wrong, therefore, blaming others is their shield to cover up their truly nature.

Changing over will be unpleasant, but I can already tell its going to be worth it. Offer feedback instead of complaining, or perhaps stick with the old tool for a year or so until its more ironed out. I'm exited to be getting started with Vortex.

that topic has been beaten to death.

if you want to override the loot api use groups or specific load before/load after rules and hey presto - you can manipulate your load order any way you like. i do this with a couple of mods that i want in a particular point in my load order - its easy.

Being beaten to death does not make it an invalid topic. Setting rules alone is sometimes just not quite good enough. I realize that some of my problems may just be my not quite understanding how this system works. Don't get me wrong, I actually like this mod manager. I like how it lets me know exactly which mods are in conflict. I don't particularly mind setting the rules. What I do mind is the process of trying to find out HOW to set the rules for your particular set-up in the first place. There are conflicts that LOOT sorting alone will not catch. For example what if it is not a case of one file directly overwriting another file of the same name? What if it is a single rule within a file that overwrites a rule in a theoretically unrelated file. It has been my experience that some body mods make changes both male and female bodies when it is only related to male or female body type but not both. This in and of itself is not beyond being able to correct through the use of rules but you still need to find this conflict. Not too long ago I had to spend the equivalent of a full day trying to locate such an error in a very long list of mods. (Please don't ask me what the mods were. I don't remember right off the top of my head and can't go through the mod list right this second just to find them. The game was Skyrim.)

Even the LOOT page says that it doesn't always give the best load order

that topic has been beaten to death.

if you want to override the loot api use groups or specific load before/load after rules and hey presto - you can manipulate your load order any way you like. i do this with a couple of mods that i want in a particular point in my load order - its easy.

Being beaten to death does not make it an invalid topic. Setting rules alone is sometimes just not quite good enough. I realize that some of my problems may just be my not quite understanding how this system works. Don't get me wrong, I actually like this mod manager. I like how it lets me know exactly which mods are in conflict. I don't particularly mind setting the rules. What I do mind is the process of trying to find out HOW to set the rules for your particular set-up in the first place. There are conflicts that LOOT sorting alone will not catch. For example what if it is not a case of one file directly overwriting another file of the same name? What if it is a single rule within a file that overwrites a rule in a theoretically unrelated file. It has been my experience that some body mods make changes both male and female bodies when it is only related to male or female body type but not both. This in and of itself is not beyond being able to correct through the use of rules but you still need to find this conflict. Not too long ago I had to spend the equivalent of a full day trying to locate such an error in a very long list of mods. (Please don't ask me what the mods were. I don't remember right off the top of my head and can't go through the mod list right this second just to find them. The game was Skyrim.)

Even the LOOT page says that it doesn't always give the best load order

Overwriting is something else than the load order. Overwriting a file is dealt with the Install Order, not the Load Order.

Read this for the details about these: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/About_Load_Orders

To manipulate the install order, you have two ways, which are both described in detail here: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Managing_File_Conflicts

In case I misunderstood you and you're actually not talking about overwritten files but records (in the .esp file), then that's a different issue. There's no way to pick from individual changes made by different plugins, you have to decide which to overwrite which - it has always been like this, idependently from the mod manager. To resolve such a problem, you'll always have to use xEdit to create a patch yourself. But that's really advanced and I'm pretty sure that's not your problem.

As stated above I am perfectly happy to admit it may be a lack of understanding on my part. I am pretty sure that I've read those pages back in March or April when Vortex was in alpha and therefore not quite feature complete.

I will verify when I am able to replace my PC--lightning strike blew out four computers, five monitors, one tv and their associated surge protectors and backup power supplies. I am only holding on to my sanity by using a crappy little tablet that I was only using for my ebooks.

All it did to me was to ruin my savegames by messing up my mods xD

I didn't even install anything new, just imported the NMM mods and now even the NMM can't run them. Not sure what vortex did, but it sure did make a mess of everything. Impressive seeing as to how I never even used it to change or install any of my mods yet xD

As have been said countless times: It's not adised to try to convert a complex mod config from NMM to Vortex. NMM didn't log properly what it was doing, so such a process will likely fail.

Still, since Vortex can read all plugins from save games, it's really not that hard to restore a working config with a bit of work and knowledge.