Connecting steam games with Vortex

khardin10

First off I think you all are doing a great job with Vortex. I like the concept and what Vortex does with mods. (Stands up and claps) ....

BUTTTTT I have an issue with Vortex connecting to steam games. (Background) I did a fresh install of steam, fresh install of Vortex, new install of a few games that can be managed with Vortex (morrowin, oblivion, Fallout 3, and skyrim). I have not added any mods as of yet. I can open steam and launch each game with no problems. I then closed Steam and went to the desk top Icon for each game and they work with no problems and run the games. (Now the issue) I open Vortex and to games and select a game to manage. When I try to launch the games I get an application launch error 5:0000065434. and the games will not launch through Vortex.

I have tried a lot of different work arounds and suggested fixes and nothing works. I have no problems with connecting with Nexus or with downloading mods for these games. The set up of the mods and load order in Vortex is great and works like a champ.

My questions: 1. is there a way to have Vortex find the .exe or Launcher.exe of each game. (so far there is no way to force Vortex to launch a specific .exe (I can tell it to go and set up where is will save the mods for these games.

2. Can an option under tools do this? (i can set up MNSE, FOSE and others there but again no way to tell Vortex to launch these specific files.)

Any help with this would be great. Ohhh one last thing you might need to know. I have Steam set up on my C drive and the Steam Library set up on D drive. (more room for games on D drive)

Thanks again and keep up the great work your doing.

Kevin

First off I think you all are doing a great job with Vortex. I like the concept and what Vortex does with mods. (Stands up and claps) ....

BUTTTTT I have an issue with Vortex connecting to steam games. (Background) I did a fresh install of steam, fresh install of Vortex, new install of a few games that can be managed with Vortex (morrowin, oblivion, Fallout 3, and skyrim). I have not added any mods as of yet. I can open steam and launch each game with no problems. I then closed Steam and went to the desk top Icon for each game and they work with no problems and run the games. (Now the issue) I open Vortex and to games and select a game to manage. When I try to launch the games I get an application launch error 5:0000065434. and the games will not launch through Vortex.

I have tried a lot of different work arounds and suggested fixes and nothing works. I have no problems with connecting with Nexus or with downloading mods for these games. The set up of the mods and load order in Vortex is great and works like a champ.

My questions: 1. is there a way to have Vortex find the .exe or Launcher.exe of each game. (so far there is no way to force Vortex to launch a specific .exe (I can tell it to go and set up where is will save the mods for these games.

2. Can an option under tools do this? (i can set up MNSE, FOSE and others there but again no way to tell Vortex to launch these specific files.)

Any help with this would be great. Ohhh one last thing you might need to know. I have Steam set up on my C drive and the Steam Library set up on D drive. (more room for games on D drive)

Thanks again and keep up the great work your doing.

Kevin

Use your tools menu on the Vortex dashboard to link to the appropriate .exe files. Click the Knowledge Base link on the Vortex dashboard to find instructions on setting up and using tools. On my Fallout 3 dashboard I have the following tools: Fallout 3 (directly activates the game .exe), FOSE, GECK, LOOT (which I don't use because it's built into Vortex), and FO3Edit.

When setting up your games, make sure your mod staging folders are on your D drive where your games are located.

You need to have Vortex scan for your games so it can find them.
From your Description it sounds like you did things in this order

1. Installed Steam

2. Installed Vortex

3. Installed Games

If that's the case, then Vortex hasn't even scanned for games yet, because it should already know where the exes for your games are.

This is how you set up pother tools to load from the dashboard, your game should already be there, along with showing up in the Dashboard with a PLAY Button symbol on it

Vortex-dashboard-add-tool.jpg

When you go to the Dashboard, it should show your current game up in the top left corner with a PLAY BUTTON where you can launch the game

It should also have another PLAY BUTTON in the tools section where you can launch the game
Also, if you mouse over the Game Thumbnail in the Tool Section, a THIRD Play Button will appear where you can launch the game.
This should've been set up automatically for you when you scanned for the games.

Vortex-Dashboard-play.jpg

Yes. I had Vortex do a search and it came back with 4 games to manage. I went to two games and used the tool to go directly to the game .exe as well as the launcher .exe. One game came up with the game start menu but when I tried to play the game it came back with the error 5:0000065434. The other game just came up with the error and no start menu. I then tried to start the games from the desktop icons and they work fine. It is only trying to use Vortex to load and run the game do I get this error...

I could use NMM to launch the games with no problems. So I am confused as to why Vortex will not do this. As I said Vortex is a lot better then NMM at DLing mods and setting up the load order and as far as I can tell all the functions in Vortex are working.

Thanks for the help at least I know how to work with the tool now....

Kev

Update: well I have Fallout 3 up and running. Now to figure out how to get Morrowind and Oblivion to work. I still get the error 5:0000065434 went I try to run them from Vortex. They run fine any other way just not through Vortex. I think I will Install FNV and see how that one works.

Thanks again

Kev

Update: well I have Fallout 3 up and running. Now to figure out how to get Morrowind and Oblivion to work. I still get the error 5:0000065434 went I try to run them from Vortex. They run fine any other way just not through Vortex. I think I will Install FNV and see how that one works.

Thanks again

Kev

Good Luck!

I've got Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas up and running in Vortex, since I already have Morrowind and Oblivion running before I installed Vortex, I'll leave them "as-is" now until I manage to break one of them, then I'll switch to Vortex.

• 2 years later...

May someone explain how to add a game that doesn't show in vortex mod manager, but has Nexus mods. For example I have Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and there are Nexus mods for it, but doesn't show in vortex mod manager.

That game isn't supported by Vortex yet.

People can write their own extensions to add game support

Also, this thread is over two years old, why didn't you stat your own thread rather than necroing such an old thread?

You can see the list of games Vortex supports by opening Vortex and clicking the Extensions tab.

If your game is supported - it will be there.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse is not there.

You are welcome to write a new extension to support it. All your fellow players will appreciate it.