Archive invalidation and weird texture issues.

Bigvaughn

Ok, in brief i've been modding since Morrowind however after coming back to New Vegas i've encountered some weird issues with textures. Neither the built in archive invalidation work on FOMM or Nexus mod manger, or rather they don't completely work. They allow MOST modded textures to work but a few do not and a few cause the pink/missing texture bug. After multiple bug testing I decided to download ArchiveInvalidation.txt File Generator and this fixes all of the issues mentioned previously, however it causes a new issue. Default texture no long appear, any mod that only slightly changes textures (Face mod but not body mod, or parts of armor replacers) causes black or pink textures. So i've been having to hunt down every hd texture pack i can to fix this. Does anyone know whats going on, how to make default textures peek through, or how to fix this because I hate having to stop playing to hunt down a texture mod.

So far I've had to find texture mods for; teeth, raider bodies, default npc heads, power armor textures, male upper body textures. It seems that any mod that only slightly changes something then allows the default game to take over the rest causes an issue.

I'd just like default textures to work along side mods, I never remembered ever having this issue.

PS: If this is a simple fix and I'm just being dumb please tell me the fix and point and laugh at me at the same time.

Back in the day, did you ever have to re-package a mod archive? Have you done so with any of the FNV texture mods? Because many of them are not packaged correctly and need that in order for any manager to install them correctly.

The only other (than failure to toggle "ArchiveInvalidation" aka "AI") reasons for mods to have these "missing element" error indications are that you failed to install all the necessary files (such as an ESM or BSA file), or they aren't in the correct location.

In the case of (for example) "Weapon Retexture Project" (WRP), the package has a "non-standard" folder structure. (Not an uncommon mistake by mod authors, so learn from this.) The game (to include most mod managers like NMM, MO, and FOMM) is expecting the top level folder of an archive package to be standardized, folder names such as "Textures" or "Meshes", or ESM/ESP/BSA files. It assumes they are being placed under the game "Data" folder. This example package starts with a "RLS" folder, which the game does not recognize, and so it places that as the "top level" under "Data". (Sometimes this is the author's name or initials, other times it's the mod name and version, but anything unexpected is treated the same way: as a new folder or file.) Most likely when the files are "installed" but aren't found correctly, something similar to this is your problem. Unpack the mod archive (WRP in this instance) to some other location and then either rebuild the archive so the top level folders are "Textures" and "Meshes" (in other words, without the "RLS" folder from WRP at all), and then install with your mod manager, or manually drag those two folders into the game "Data" folder.

The text file under the WRP "RLS" folder is a documentation file. If you want to keep similar in the package, just place it in the top level along with the "Meshes" and "Textures" folders. Personally, I rename such to "<mod_name>_ReadMe.txt" so I know which package they came from. (Many authors act as if their mod's text file is the only one that might possibly exist in the same location or use the same common name (i.e. "Readme.txt").)

The problem with addon AI mods is that they usually are not updated with the latest information (such as the order in which the "BSA" files including the "BSA redirection" file) are placed in the INI files (i.e. "SArchiveList=Fallout - Voices1.bsa, Fallout - AI!.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Textures2.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa"), and will conflict if you have (at any point) utilized a mod manager version. You want to only use one. Different implementation can use different versions of the AI file name as it is arbitrary for each.

-Dubious-

(At work currently) Ah I see what you're saying. Before posting here I spent at least an hour going through my textures folder moving things around and there is a lot of extra junk in there. Problem is most of it came from manual intall only mods so I'm having to go through my downloads folder to find what's what. There are some that came from fomods and are being pathed correctly but I suspect many are just loose bits that are gunking up my textures. I think I need to boot up the geck and check what's what. But I will be posting mod list and the rest of the info when I can.

Ok scratch everything, after digging in my texture folder I went back to using the built in FOMM/Nexus manager archive validation and lo and behold "Everything just works." Default textures are working alongside modded ones, but this is fallout we're talking about and the one single mod that refuses to comply is Type 3 body replacer. I keep getting the "black underwear glitch" I've reset invalidation, I've check the pathing, everything. When I load up everything in the geck the textures look fine but when in game female textures are splotchy and have the black underwear. Female raiders and a few rando female npcs are the only ones exempt from this.

I guess this thread can be marked as solved, this is now a trouble shoot regarding Type 3 body replacer.

TlDr: Built in archive invalidation just starts working properly after reactivating it a million times, Dimonized Type 3 hates me.

Thank you all for the help and recommendations and taking time out to reply to me, I feel as though you all aren't thanked enough after helping or providing advice.

Edited by Bigvaughn

Ok scratch everything, after digging in my texture folder I went back to using the built in FOMM/Nexus manager archive validation and lo and behold "Everything just works." Default textures are working alongside modded ones, but this is fallout we're talking about and the one single mod that refuses to comply is Type 3 body replacer. I keep getting the "black underwear glitch" I've reset invalidation, I've check the pathing, everything. When I load up everything in the geck the textures look fine but when in game female textures are splotchy and have the black underwear. Female raiders and a few rando female npcs are the only ones exempt from this.

I guess this thread can be marked as solved, this is now a trouble shoot regarding Type 3 body replacer.

TlDr: Built in archive invalidation just starts working properly after reactivating it a million times, Dimonized Type 3 hates me.

Thank you all for the help and recommendations and taking time out to reply to me, I feel as though you all aren't thanked enough after helping or providing advice.

Glad it ended up working out for you. :)

Computers are sometimes funny that way. At least you've made progress.

Re: Your "body replacer" problem. Please see the 'Issue: Body Replacer - Custom Body Types' and related 'Body Replacer -' entries under the 'Solutions to Graphics problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-