Skyrim game INI settings in- and outside profile folders?

Exalerion

I installed Vortex to see how it works technically, and I can't figure out how my Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files are managed.

I know there is a per-profile game settings option when you edit your Vortex game profile, which uses its own INIs files in the ...\Vortex\skyrim\profiles\*ID*\ folder. I assume that, when I have per-profile game settings enabled, these settings will be used INSTEAD of the ones in ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\?

My second question is: why are there also Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files located inside my ...\Vortex\skyrim\ folder (OUTSIDE the profile folders)??? Are these also used, and if so, when? Are these used when I DON'T have per-profile game settings enabled? Does that mean that my INI files in ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ are NEVER used anymore??

Then lastly, Vortex created these .ini.baked and .ini.base files for both Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini in my ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ folder. What's up with that?

I'm really confused about which INI files I need to keep editing in order for this to have an effect on the game lol..

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Exalerion

• 1 month later...

I installed Vortex to see how it works technically, and I can't figure out how my Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files are managed.

I know there is a per-profile game settings option when you edit your Vortex game profile, which uses its own INIs files in the ...\Vortex\skyrim\profiles\*ID*\ folder. I assume that, when I have per-profile game settings enabled, these settings will be used INSTEAD of the ones in ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\?

My second question is: why are there also Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files located inside my ...\Vortex\skyrim\ folder (OUTSIDE the profile folders)??? Are these also used, and if so, when? Are these used when I DON'T have per-profile game settings enabled? Does that mean that my INI files in ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ are NEVER used anymore??

Then lastly, Vortex created these .ini.baked and .ini.base files for both Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini in my ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ folder. What's up with that?

I'm really confused about which INI files I need to keep editing in order for this to have an effect on the game lol..

Thanks in advance!

Where do you have your Downloads Folder set, and where do you have your Mod Staging Folder set, because you shouldn't be getting ini files in either of those