Vortex Not launching Skyrim after Update

Manlypink69

I'm having the exact same issue. I launch Skyrim through the SKSE plugin through vortex and after the last update it no longer launches at all.

Check to see if your SKSE_Loader.exe, Skyrim.exe and SKyrimLauncher.exe are set to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

If they are, uncheck the box to run them as administrator.

The problem seems to be stemming from people running EVERYTHING especially Games, as Administrator for no reason

after you do that, see if they launch from Vortex.

This doesn't work with FOSE on Fallout 3. I'm having a similar issue where Vortex has the correct path for FOSE and simply decided it can no longer use it. It will initially run, prompting a UAC notification as it did before, but once I click yes it just decides to not run FOSE instead of doing it like I assume it was seeking to. Turning off admin privileges for FOSE gets an error from FOSE, where it seems to think I'm running Vista instead of Windows 10 but regardless says it can't run properly because of UAC and that I must enable run as admin.

Are you running Vortex as admin?

If so, don't.

Because you shouldn't be getting a UAC notification for anything

Make sure you're not running STEAM as Admin either.

I'm having the exact same issue. I launch Skyrim through the SKSE plugin through vortex and after the last update it no longer launches at all.

Check to see if your SKSE_Loader.exe, Skyrim.exe and SKyrimLauncher.exe are set to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

If they are, uncheck the box to run them as administrator.

The problem seems to be stemming from people running EVERYTHING especially Games, as Administrator for no reason

after you do that, see if they launch from Vortex.

This doesn't work with FOSE on Fallout 3. I'm having a similar issue where Vortex has the correct path for FOSE and simply decided it can no longer use it. It will initially run, prompting a UAC notification as it did before, but once I click yes it just decides to not run FOSE instead of doing it like I assume it was seeking to. Turning off admin privileges for FOSE gets an error from FOSE, where it seems to think I'm running Vista instead of Windows 10 but regardless says it can't run properly because of UAC and that I must enable run as admin.

Are you running Vortex as admin?

If so, don't.

Because you shouldn't be getting a UAC notification for anything

Make sure you're not running STEAM as Admin either.

Thank you for the response. I am running neither as admin. When I try to start the game via fose loader in vortex it asks me if I want to allow vortex to make changes oddly enough instead of fose. The popup refers to the correct program if I go to fose loader directly. But that didn't seem to matter until after a recent update when vortex no longer wants to use the fose loader. For fallout 3 the script extender seems to be different, it demands admin privileges to work, ergo Vortex getting tetchy about anything using admin privileges clashes with this older but still essential tool, if the error box I get from fose trying to run without admin privileges is anything to go by.

Thank you for the response. I am running neither as admin. When I try to start the game via fose loader in vortex it asks me if I want to allow vortex to make changes oddly enough instead of fose. The popup refers to the correct program if I go to fose loader directly. But that didn't seem to matter until after a recent update when vortex no longer wants to use the fose loader. For fallout 3 the script extender seems to be different, it demands admin privileges to work, ergo Vortex getting tetchy about anything using admin privileges clashes with this older but still essential tool, if the error box I get from fose trying to run without admin privileges is anything to go by.

Hmmm, yea, I just checked my GOG install of Fallout 3, and I too, have FOSE set to run as admin.

Hmmm, yea, I just checked my GOG install of Fallout 3, and I too, have FOSE set to run as admin.

I have the steam version of Fallout 3. Does vortex cooperate for you? Note that the main link to run the game using the normal .exe works fine for me, but using the FOSE loader option fails. I get the prompt as if vortex has started running it, but either when the prompt occurs or after I click yes it just stops. I know just going to the FOSE loader directly works fine, but it was rather convenient that Vortex had multiple ways to start Fallout 3 from dashboard all set up, and if they are all supposed to be working still this might need looking into for certain exceptions like FOSE for Fallout 3 that demand to be run as admin. At least when there are no major issues to be dealt with first. This is certainly a minor bug, assuming others can replicate the issue.

For whatever it's worth, I have no trouble using Vortex 0.18.9 to launch Fallout 3 via FOSE. I have the Steam version of Fallout 3, and FOSE is not set to run as administrator.

What version of FOSE and what windows edition are you using? I'm on windows 10 using no compatibility settings for FOSE besides run as admin.

For whatever it's worth, I have no trouble using Vortex 0.18.9 to launch Fallout 3 via FOSE. I have the Steam version of Fallout 3, and FOSE is not set to run as administrator.

What version of FOSE and what windows edition are you using? I'm on windows 10 using no compatibility settings for FOSE besides run as admin.

FOSE v1_2_beta2 (with no compatibility settings). Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v.1809.

I have FOSE v1.2.2 as well. Hmm...do you have your game on a separate drive from windows? My OS and programs drive is a rather small SSD so all my games are on two other hard drives.

I have FOSE v1.2.2 as well. Hmm...do you have your game on a separate drive from windows? My OS and programs drive is a rather small SSD so all my games are on two other hard drives.

All things Vortex and Steam (except for saves) are on my system drive C:/ ( a 1 TB SSD). It's less confusing for me if I use the Vortex default settings.

I have the steam version of Fallout 3. Does vortex cooperate for you? Note that the main link to run the game using the normal .exe works fine for me, but using the FOSE loader option fails. I get the prompt as if vortex has started running it, but either when the prompt occurs or after I click yes it just stops. I know just going to the FOSE loader directly works fine, but it was rather convenient that Vortex had multiple ways to start Fallout 3 from dashboard all set up, and if they are all supposed to be working still this might need looking into for certain exceptions like FOSE for Fallout 3 that demand to be run as admin. At least when there are no major issues to be dealt with first. This is certainly a minor bug, assuming others can replicate the issue.

Yes, FOSE and Fallout 3 run fine for me