⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

How do you get Vortex to work with OBSE?

agamer
Go to solution Solved by HadToRegister,

My Steam games are on my E drive. There is also a stand alone folder on my E drive that is E:\Vortex Mods\oblivion. That's where Vortex is deploying the oblivion mods to. Since OBSE is a manual download, I installed it manually, then I dropped the OBSE executable into the drop file of the Vortex mods section.

I tried starting Oblivion with the OBSE executable, then I tried starting the game in Steam, then I tried the two executables in the Steam\Oblivion main game folder, then I tried starting the game through Vortex and the mods just aren't loading.

For instance, I downloaded some facial mods which required the mod Blockhead. The mod blockhead is designed so that if the mod didn't load, the npc's face has blockhead written all over it, in game. Blockhead is also an OBSE plugin. So basically, OBSE and other mods aren't loading with Vortex.

I've watched some video tutorials, done some troubleshooting and nothing has worked so far. I'm fairly new to Vortex. Please help.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to add: Blockhead is supposed to create an ini file once you start the game, if it was installed correctly. Well, there is no ini file anywhere that's been created for this mod.

Edited by agamer

In my Oblivion setup with Vortex I couldn't start OBSE too.

I tried with the normal OblivionLauncher, then it worked. So i added a new tool at the dashboard which is linked to the normal launher and i made it primary.

If you have the steam version OBSE should start automatically. If you have the hard copy version or maybe from GOG you need to start the OBSE loader.exe.

• Solution

My Steam games are on my E drive. There is also a stand alone folder on my E drive that is E:\Vortex Mods\oblivion. That's where Vortex is deploying the oblivion mods to. Since OBSE is a manual download, I installed it manually, then I dropped the OBSE executable into the drop file of the Vortex mods section.

I tried starting Oblivion with the OBSE executable, then I tried starting the game in Steam, then I tried the two executables in the Steam\Oblivion main game folder, then I tried starting the game through Vortex and the mods just aren't loading.

For instance, I downloaded some facial mods which required the mod Blockhead. The mod blockhead is designed so that if the mod didn't load, the npc's face has blockhead written all over it, in game. Blockhead is also an OBSE plugin. So basically, OBSE and other mods aren't loading with Vortex.

I've watched some video tutorials, done some troubleshooting and nothing has worked so far. I'm fairly new to Vortex. Please help.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to add: Blockhead is supposed to create an ini file once you start the game, if it was installed correctly. Well, there is no ini file anywhere that's been created for this mod.

First off, the majority of Oblivion mods aren't packed correctly for ANY mod manager, because at the time the only true mod manager that existed was OBMM, so most Oblivion mods are zipped up randomly, so attempting to install them with ANY modern mod manager will result in files going everywhere, or in the wrong place etc.

I wrote an article about it here Vortex and Oblivion, an experiment

Next, NO, that is not what you do with OBSE.

You need to open the OBSE zip fille, and drag all of the EXE and DLL files to to Oblivion root directory, (The same directory that has the Oblivion.exe and Oblivion_Launcher.exe

Then you need to open the DATA\SCRIPTS folder in the Oblivion ZIP file and drag all of the PEX files to Oblivion\Data\Scripts\ folder

OBSE install
[ Installation ]
1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Oblivion directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\Oblivion\. If you see files named Oblivion and OblivionLauncher, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for programmers, most users can ignore it.
2. Copy the .pex files in Data\Scripts\ into the Data\Scripts\ folder of your installation. The .pex files are needed by all users of OBSE.

THEN, on your Dashboard select ADD TOOL, navigate to the OBSE_Launcher.EXE in your Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion folder and select it, click APPLY
Then click the 3 vertical dots on the entry in the Dashboard and select MAKE PRIMARY

OBSE will now automatically start when you click any of the 'Play" buttons for Oblivion in Vortex.

Vortex-dashboard-add-tool.jpg
This is showing PATH setup for SKSE64, but will be similar with OBSE as well
Vortex-SKSE-Tool.jpg
MAKE PRIMARY
Vortex-SKSE64-Make-Primary.jpg
Once make primary is set, a banner shows
Vortex-SKSE64-primary.jpg

When I try to start the game using Vortex, this pop-up message appears; You are trying to use a Steam version of Oblivion. Steam users should launch the game through Steam, not by running obse_loader.exe. If OBSE fails to load, go to Steam>Settings> In Game and check the box marked "Enable Steam community in game. Please see the instructions in obse_readme.txt for more information. :(

When I try to start the game using Vortex, this pop-up message appears; You are trying to use a Steam version of Oblivion. Steam users should launch the game through Steam, not by running obse_loader.exe. If OBSE fails to load, go to Steam>Settings> In Game and check the box marked "Enable Steam community in game. Please see the instructions in obse_readme.txt for more information. :sad:

Oh right, I forgot about that.

That's why I installed my GOG version of Oblivion :D

OK, yea, try starting it from steam and see if OBSE launches, it should, because OBSE should detect the game launch from Steam IIRC