Vortex and Oblivion, an Experiment

HadToRegister

So I decided to try using Vortex to handle an Oblivion install.
It started out fun enough, but did get kind of tedious in parts, however, I learned a lot of important things, and ended up with a working setup, and learned a few tricks along the way.
I started out naively enough, by downloading mods and just clicking on INSTALL, completely forgetting that older mods didn't have a "Standard" for setting up the archives yet, so of course I ended up with Folders inside my Data folder, named after the mods in question, with their ESP, ESM and BSAs inside those folders inside the Data folder.
Because of this I quickly learned, to use the "Preview File Contents" on each mod's Download Page, to see if the mod was zipped up properly to where I could click on "Download with Mod Manager" and install it, or if I'd have to Download Manually and repackage the mod.
In order to download manually so I could extract, and then repackage a mod properly so Vortex could install it, I made a "WORK" folder inside my Vortex\Downloads\Oblivion folder, where I downloaded all the improperly zipped up mods, and also mods that had several patches, so I could just combine the patches into one installable mod, rather than installing patch 1, patch 2 patch 3 etc.
Another thing I did with the mods that I unzipped and repackaged, is I made a "docs" folder for each one (in hindsight, I'm REALLY glad I did), so now I have all the txt, rtf, jpg, etc files in one convenient folder inside DATA.
OMODs I found, could be converted to an archive easily enough by using OBMM, and converting the OMOD to an archive, that I could either repackage (if needed), or just handed off to Vortex to install.
WryeBash, turned out to be quite a useful tool for converting BAIN files, into a mod that I could zip up and use with Vortex instead.
BAIN files, for something complex like Robert's Body, or Francesco's, HGEC and Animated Window Lighting System.
I know I know, why not just install the BAIN files with WryeBash?
Because I was going for a 100% Vortex install so Vortex would manage ALL THE FILES!
So, the way I used WryeBash, was to go through the Bain install Wizard, then when I got all of the options selected, instead of checking the INSTALL THIS PACKAGE box, I checked the "APPLY THESE SELECTIONS" box, which allowed me to close the BAIN Installer and then see the actual path, folder, and file layout of the mod in WryeBash, so I could grab the appropriate Folders and Files, and package my own mod with the selections I had chosen.
Wrye-Bash-Files-and-Folders.jpg
See? it shows you the paths, folders, and files you need.
This was pretty tedious, but doing it this way ensured that Vortex would be managing everything.
WryeBash was also used in conjunction with Vortex to create the Bashed Patch.
------------------------------LOAD BEFORE, LOAD AFTER AWESOMENESS----------------------------------
Now, here's an example of the awesomeness of the "LOAD BEFORE" and "LOAD AFTER" BSA/MOD management of Vortex, this definitely highlights the power of it.
As you all know, the installation instructions on many texture/body mods, always instruct you to "Be sure to install X Mod FIRST, because you want Y Mod to overwrite the textures from Mod X" etc.
Here's a great example of this pertaining to "Oblivion Character Overhaul, Robert's Body, Blockhead, etc.

HGEC textures for OCOv2. Install order: 1. Body replacer, OBSE and Blockhead - 2. OCOv2 base - 3. Replacer compatibility textures. NMM recommended. Choose 'don't upgrade' on installation.
Robert's Female textures for OCOv2. Install order: 1. Body replacer, OBSE and Blockhead - 2. OCOv2 base - 3. Replacer compatibility textures. NMM recommended. Choose 'don't upgrade' on installation.
Robert's Male textures for OCOv2. Install order: 1. Body replacer, OBSE and Blockhead - 2. OCOv2 base - 3. Replacer compatibility textures. NMM recommended. Choose 'don't upgrade' on installation.
Install order is:
- OBSE
- Blockhead
- Robert's Male Body replacer (delete the .esp file here; conflicts with OCO V2)
- OCO V2
- OCO V2 body replacers patches (Roberts Male Body replacer texture compatibility addon)
- CCC (This includes the files CCC 1.8 - Eyes, CCC 1.8 - Hair Meshes 1, CCC 1.8 - Hair Meshes 2, CCC 1.8 - Hair Meshes 3, CCC 1.8 - Hair Textures. You do not need the plugins file. Readme is optional)
- This mod. (Replace the .esp file from OCO V2 with this one).
- Rebuild bashed patch (Wrye bash users only)
You also need archive invalidation (BSA Redirection) enabled:
Now, Pre-Vortex, if you didn't install those mods, IN THAT SPECIFIC ORDER, they wouldn't work, and you'd have missing textures, or the textures wouldn't match the body etc.
Since I was very early in on starting my "Modding Oblivion with Vortex" experiment, I decided to install the mods mentioned in the quote, in a random order, just to prove to myself that the LOAD BEFORE, LOAD AFTER feature in Vortex was as powerful as I thought it was.
So that's what I did.
I installed OCOV2 first, then CCC, Blockhead, Robert's, then the Compatibility Texture, while ignoring Vortex screaming at me that there were FILE CONFLICTS.
Then, I clicked on the File Conflict Warnings once I was done installing all the mods mentioned above, and started solving the conflicts.
It was a simple task to replicate the above INSTALL ORDER, mentioned in the quotes, by just making sure I had Roberts Body Replacer LOAD BEFORE OCOV2, and made sure that the COMPATIBILITY Patch, LOADED AFTER OCOV2, thus easily doing the SAME THING with just a few clicks, that I would've done by installing everything in the exact order as mentioned in the quotes.
This experiment really drove home the flexibility and power of the LOAD BEFORE, LOAD AFTER feature.
--------------------------------------PURGE AND REDEPLOY SURPRISE----------------------------------
Here's yet another interesting experience, as I was downloading, converting, repackaging Oblivion mods to work with Vortex, and installing more and more mods, I ran across a mod that wouldn't work unless you had Steam set to run as Administrator.
My project came to a screeching halt, because I know if I set Steam to run as Admin, then I would end up having to ELEVATE everything whenever I installed a mod from Vortex.
So, I remember I also own Oblivion on GOG (which is already patched for 4gb etc), so I installed the GOG version of Oblivion.
And here was another "HOLY CRAP!!" moment for me.
I thought "Damn, now I have to uninstall everything from the Steam install, and install it all over again in the GOG install.
Just for Giggles, I PURGED all the mods, then went into GAMES----->MANAGED----->OBLIVION------"SHOW DETAILS, and changed the path of Oblivion from D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\ to D:\Games\GOG Games\Oblivion\, then I REDEPLOYED.
I was pretty dumbfounded/gobsmacked at the point to find my new GOG Oblivion installation now had all of the mods neatly restored to my GOG installation, as if it was my STEAM installation.
This was a shocking surprise and I had no idea that it would actually work, and it did!
--------------------------------------LOOT and HOW TO Guides--------------------------------------
I have found that LOOT is doing a decent job of sorting the load order for the most part, although I did have to go in the LOOT Discord and let them know about a rule between L.A.M.E. (Less annoying magic experience) and Supreme Magicka, that wasn't allowing Supreme Magicka to LOAD AFTER bgMagicEV (L.A.M.E. mod) (Both Magicka mods work so well together, that if you load SM BEFORE LAME, then you get the SM Spells, but with LAME's Power and duration, if you load LAME before SM, then you get LAME's Spells with SM's power and duration)
They quickly added a condition to the rule within about a half hour, that fixed the problem.
At one point I had FCOM completely set up, but whenever I enabled Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul, the game wouldn't start, so I scrapped FCOM (I'm planning on making an FCOM Profile) and went with Francesco's, Waaxls, Marts Monster Mod, and Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul.
Also, I MADE SURE, to copy down ANY and EVERY thing I did to get the mods to work, in text files, and also copied into text files, any tips or solutions on getting individual mods to work, from the mod comment sections themselves.
Such as the Script fix for Supreme Magicka in order to get it to work with Maskar's Oblivion overhaul, to Script fix for the nighteye goggles to prevent "Permanent Nighteye", to DDS file saving rules.
I have a folder called "How To Guides" of text files I've saved for reference so I don't have to hunt down those fixes again.
-------------------------------------Random Stuff----------------------------------------
Just a note, I have Vortex Archive Invalidation turned OFF, I guess I hit the Archive Invalidation in OBMM once, and so far everything has been working fine.
Here's my Oblivion Dashboard with its Tools.
Oblivon-Dashboard.jpg
The "Elder Scro..." entry is just a Name Generator for Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.
The two entries for TES Construction set, is because one is the straight up Construction set, the other is opened with the Obes_Loader.exe with the "-editor" command line in order to be able to use extended script functions from OBSE in the TES Construction set. (which was required to fix the previously mentioned script in Supreme Magicka.
So far it's pretty crash-proof (For Oblivion), but it's also a bit stuttery, and chuggy in parts, even with Stutter Remover, NVAC (Yes, the anti-crash from New Vegas works with Oblivion).
I'm not using Oblivion Reloaded, because it makes too many gameplay changes that can really confuse a first time user, and when you uninstall it, it takes one of the Darnified Menus with it, so your game crashes upon loading until you replace the menu.
So, it was a LOT of work, I had to extract and repackage a ton of mods in order to convert them from BAIN and OMOD to properly packaged 7z files, even adding a 'docs' folder to each.
But now I have custom Vortex Mods of all the Oblivion mods I use.
Would I do it again?
Probably not, but it was a hell of a learning experience, and also showcased what Vortex is capable of.
*The ONLY Mod I couldn't install with Vortex was DarNUI, and Vortex is insisting that one of the fonts is missing, but if I click on FIX, it REMOVES the font it says is missing, and makes me have to copy and paste the font back into the ini file.
----------------------------------------QUICK ACCESS SHORTCUTS----------------------------------------------
Oh, another thing, since I was switching between folders so much, I also used the left hand panel in windows explorer to add QUICK ACCESS links to my commonly used folders so I could just click "COMMON", and I'd jump directly inside my Steam\steamapps\common\ folder, or Vortex Downloads folder, Bash Installers, Gog Games etc.
It took the tediousness out of navigating back and forth to these folders (Yes, I have a ton of folders already open, but the QUICK ACCESS jump links cam in super handy if a folder got closed.
These allow you to immediately jump inside the folder without having to navigate from the root:
quick-access-1.jpg

A profuse thank you for posting this! Not only have I learned much from your experiment, but I'm excited to give it a try myself. I have a huge collection of Oblivion mods which I've kept updated. No downloading needed - just drag and drop!

In regard to your "How To" guides, please, please, please consider uploading these to Nexusmods Oblivion. That would be a big boost for both Oblivion and Vortex.

• 1 month later...

Well usefull thread :)

I'm tryied and failed to install mod with Vortex (only steam copy and a deleted old french oblivion)

Some mods works, but anothers wont

My most issue at the moment is Robert's male body v52. repackage manually the selected files, load and install in Vortex, but in game the upper body seam to be good, but the lower part it's still with the ugly vanilla pant for me and pnj ...In a new game and i'm still in prison or just the few assassin at the beginning.

My mod list for the moment is more or less the bevilex mod list ( texture base, trees, cities, grass... USSEP) don't have instal OCO or armor pack for the moment.

Don't know for HGEC, don't use female MC

sorry for my bad english....

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this write up. I'm new to modding Oblivion so it will take some time to fully comprehend all of this. If you ever have time can you make a youtube tutorial video showing how to do this with a Steam install?

I'd like Vortex to manage OBSE, UOP and all other essential mods for Oblivion.