FO4 critter lore

kanami24

So, I have a few thoughts on fallout 4's creatures... I'm going to start off with one of the bigger topics I've seen with this -- horses. I've read that horses went extinct but, i've also read that it's been confirmed that they are not extinct just have not shown up yet. All I can say is -- by the gods, if horses have 2 heads and weird looking skin, I'm going to have questions about game design.

Also, what in the world is a deathclaw? If we have gatorclaws and gulpers (which look to be frogs), would it be wrong to assume a deathclaw came from a gecko? Oorr a python?

And would it be wrong to presume that bats have also mutated, thus giving us what is essentially a dragon in fallout 4? That would make a great mod actually. Some night time boss raids in fallout 4... I'm not really considering fallout 76 in this, but I did see some complaints about re-using the skyrim dagon skeleton or something?

Annnnd in what world do we live in where a thousand nukes fall, spreads radiation everywhere for 200 and some odd years, mutates everything to hell and back -- but simple house cats remain unchanged..... That is literally impossible. I would've accepted a mutated saber tooth over nothing.

And lastly, yes, I do believe ghouls are essentially the same thing as a zombie. There are many -- many variations of zombies. There are also different ideas on what makes a zombie, but in the end the person is dead. For me, I find the most logical "theory" is where this virus sort of reactivates a small portion of a person's brain --their basic motor abilities and the drive for food. Which, honestly doesn't make any sense -- but its the most logical one I've ever seen..... ever. Now, for ghouls -- their brains are entirely rotted by the radiation, making them feral. I repeat, by the radiation. I repeat, their brain is ENTIRELY rotted.....

See where I'm getting at here. Which theory is more believable?

...................................And as much as I like dog meat, there is no way in the real world he would be a normal german shepherd.... that is all...

Edited by kanami24

See where I'm getting at here. Which theory is more believable?

the theory that this is all based on 1950's pop culture understanding of what radiation can and can't do. Personally I was hoping for things like giant strawberries or celery like in the move Sleeper but no luck so far.

Plus most of the story we get is based on the understanding of characters living in fairly small geographic areas at specific times in history and they don't have an overall picture so you could argue that what is true for California isn't necessarily true for the east coast.

Last but not least this intellectual property is now owned by a company that primarily made its living doing sword and sorcery games and sometimes that comes out really clearly as in the case of the scorch beast. It also means that they don't feel that bound to the continuity established by Interplay and may choose to take the story wherever they think it should go.

I started laughing when you mentioned cats. I've really wondered about that too. Especially since by all realistic logic, cats most likely would not survive a nuclear holocost. They have a very delicate health system, and would be stuck eatting irradiated food, which would kill them off quick.

The only guess that I've come up with on that one, is that they're burning off their 9 lives at a really fast pace! :D

Horses- I can see that domesticated horses would be killed off when the bombs fall. Most of them are locked up. Either in pens, or fences. If the actual blasts didn't kill them, starvation and tainted food would. Wild horses may have a chance to survive, if they're far enough outside the danger zones. Horses have a rather surprising amount of ability to adjust to their surroundings, and evolve to meet climate changes.

Again, falling back to what nexbil was saying, those horses would most likely not be known to the general people in the areas most affected by the nukes. 200 years worth of non-intercontinental communication, and all that.

On that note, I'd die if they brought horses back, as the stylistic nightmare steeds. I'd love it because I've always been a fan of the whole "Flaming horse" thing, but also split my gut open laughing too hard at Bethesda. I also probly would not be very happy with how they modeled them, as Fallout always tends to lean towards the grotesque side of things.

*sigh* fragging companies not letting us bring horses from other games *sigh*

Some of the larger cities, and even out in the wild, there are much more normal looking dogs. Tho they aren't the same breed as dogmeat. It's also pretty much canon for this game, that the main protagonist has a canine companion. Agree or disagree is up to the individual on that.

And yeah, you gotta remember that as Nexbil was saying, this game is totally based off the 1950's.

I started laughing when you mentioned cats. I've really wondered about that too. Especially since by all realistic logic, cats most likely would not survive a nuclear holocost. They have a very delicate health system, and would be stuck eatting irradiated food, which would kill them off quick.

The only guess that I've come up with on that one, is that they're burning off their 9 lives at a really fast pace! :D

Horses- I can see that domesticated horses would be killed off when the bombs fall. Most of them are locked up. Either in pens, or fences. If the actual blasts didn't kill them, starvation and tainted food would. Wild horses may have a chance to survive, if they're far enough outside the danger zones. Horses have a rather surprising amount of ability to adjust to their surroundings, and evolve to meet climate changes.

Again, falling back to what nexbil was saying, those horses would most likely not be known to the general people in the areas most affected by the nukes. 200 years worth of non-intercontinental communication, and all that.

On that note, I'd die if they brought horses back, as the stylistic nightmare steeds. I'd love it because I've always been a fan of the whole "Flaming horse" thing, but also split my gut open laughing too hard at Bethesda. I also probly would not be very happy with how they modeled them, as Fallout always tends to lean towards the grotesque side of things.

*sigh* fragging companies not letting us bring horses from other games *sigh*

Some of the larger cities, and even out in the wild, there are much more normal looking dogs. Tho they aren't the same breed as dogmeat. It's also pretty much canon for this game, that the main protagonist has a canine companion. Agree or disagree is up to the individual on that.

And yeah, you gotta remember that as Nexbil was saying, this game is totally based off the 1950's.

Honestly, when it comes to horses -- I imagine the horse from darksiders. Buuuuut not.... with all the doom and gloom armor pieces. Like, the dogs that follow super mutants -- they're big and super muscular and what not. That's essentially my little head cannon of a horse. probably bigger, more muscular. Two rows of razor sharp teeth. Four eyes. I don't know where I'm going with this but just a really really monster of a steed. And in all honesty, I would say these things would be located on the other side of the glowing sea, ONLY because that would sound cool. Buuut if we're talking logic, I would say far west of the game's location or far north.

However, like all things right in the world -- there is a mod that allows you to make rideable radstags and another that allows you to build a rideable giddyup in the form of a storable grenade.

But here's another thing -- why is there a food item called iguana bits when there's no iguanas in the game? Same with squirrels and squirrel bits.

Glowing ghoul horses! That would be ridiculous.

Deathclaws are chameleons, and IIRC it's canon that they were actively engineered by the military using FEV. The FEV itself is pretty much magic, it does whatever mutations they want to have in the game.

Cats you could explain away that they came from Vault 88. Aka, they did go extinct, but the population from the vault spread over the Commonwealth recently.

My headcanon regarding ghouls is: their bodies somehow consume radiation and can use it to stay alive/heal themselves. Now if your brain gets damaged for whatever reason, it can repair itself, but only to some sort of an animalistic "default" state; whatever memory/part of your personality was stored there is gone. That still doesn't explain why they lose their skin, or don't attack each other...

That said: this game is utterly unrealistic. You can keep rationalizing, of course, but at some point you should be aware that you are just pulling stuff out of your own ass, and think much more about the setting than Bethesda ever did...

All I can say is -- by the gods, if horses have 2 heads and weird looking skin, I'm going to have questions about game design.

But that about describes perfectly the thought process and the creativity BGS put into the last fallout games.

"Uh... so yeah, we need some type of critter, you know, something that doesn't do much but for world building and stuff? Kinda like the Brahmin...?"

"Ok, so why don't we put an additional head on it and call it Rad-something? And the higher level ones are glowing?"

"Sounds ok enough, let's do this."

Ah, creativity....

source.gif

About the iguana bits part... I know, it was in Fallout 1 (I was there myself, back then...) and many people are still clinging to the idea that BGS considers every bit of old lore canon (which they don't and which in some cases isn't even the worst thing to do). But this tiny bit of dread kinda doesn't work anymore, since we already got "strange meat" and the Cannibal perk to top it.

The whole "omg iguana bits is people y'all" thing lost its appeal the first time you happily munched away on a dead raider - or the Longs (be warned, they taste kind of bitter).

Edited by metaphorset