Fallout Modelling - Mini Tutorial

jaysus

when we have tools :P

nah seriously i think you and brupo did an amazing job on the guns and i dont see where i could possibly improve on that (xcept making up some original guns from scratch) and thus started that armor... which i cant do poo with until we see an exporter at least :)

thought about making some headgear and such things too since they dont need any rigs but ya... good point lol

maybe someone could make a tut on how to place items in chests, on traders and such things i think thats utterly needed since replacing stuff is kinda limited (i know there is some kind of tut but it needs some work imo)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

placing items in chests is easy actually. well sort of. you can directly place it in the GRUP(CONT) record for the chest (you gotta find the name of the chest though. its not that hard.) when you open the (CONT) record, you should several [CNTO] sub-records.

thats kinda the universal "point to item" subrecord. basically copy it and paste it, and point it to the FormID of the item you want to be in the container. the same goes with adding items to (_NPC.)

they do throw you a loop though. [CNTO] can also point to (LVLI) which is the leveled loot lists. thats where things get fun

(LVLI)'s can do several things, they can determine what an object contains at what lvl, but at the same time, point directly to objects.

example: for the desert eagle, i set out to have random high level raiders spawn with it. so i go to (_NPC) and look at some of their loots. i find serveral (LVLI) records that control what weapons they _CAN_ spawn with, but they dont point directly to (WEAP) formID, rather they point to another (LVLI) for each weapon that they can spawn with. (there are records for melee and firearm with or without ammo) i chose to copy and modify the (LVLI) record for "withammoscopedmagnum", which contains more (LVLI) records, "condscopedmagnum" and "ammo44". following that, finally, i get to the (LVLI) record that points to the (WEAP) itself, it actually has several entries with a [COND] subrecord for each, controling the condition of the spawned weapon.

if im sure of whats going on with chests, you can use (LVLI) records like that to give certain chests "random" loots.

i actually did something similar to get flak and shrapnel to randomly have a desert eagle available for sale.

i hope that makes some sorta sense :happy:

sure it makes sense :) its basicly like it was if we had a cs just that we mess around with fomm and hex editors now as far as i understood grrr... GRRRR!!!...

just make sure you put it in the right levelled list not just the one for lvl 1-2 or somin ;)

and if its like oblivion you can put lvl lists in chests too of course...

I'm having some problems pasting over my own mesh-I export an obj from 3ds max and then I import it and convert it to NiTriStrips, but everytime I try to paste it over i get an window saying:

"array "Extra Data List" much too large. 1852138323 bytes requested"

Any ideas?

I also get a warning saying that the mesh (or something) is a different version

the diff version warning doesnt matter afaik

as to the error did you copy the whole nitrishape block or just the nitrishapeblockdata (thats the one to copy)?

also converting between nitristrip and nitrishape in nifskope brought some problems like ctds for me... better export *.obj for nitrishapes and *.nif for nitristrip

Is it possible to change the size/type of shell that flies out of the gun? I plan to make a hand gun that fires one very large bullet (possibly using the dart gun animation for loading a large shell into the top of the gun then pulling back a spring loaded spike to set off the bullet). Anyway would it be possible to have the 50 cal shell fly out the side of the gun?

@speedy

i dunno if its possible to create new ammo at all (i believe it is)...

but you can surely change the vanilla ammo models i guess tho

didnt try that yet but if you have trouble just post here

@sashka

i just started getting items ingame and its rather complicated and deep... writing a tut at this point is kinda limited as the tools are still developing but comparing different *.esps helps alot

the tool to do so is the "fallout mod manager" (do a google search its on the timeslip page)

it offers a plugin editor which basicly does what a cs does but in a more complicated manner

dunno bout bsas as i never saw a reason to pack a mod except very very big ones like total conversions, a single item sure doesnt need it

@speedy

i dunno if its possible to create new ammo at all (i believe it is)...

but you can surely change the vanilla ammo models i guess tho

didnt try that yet but if you have trouble just post here

yeah it is possible. you would add a new model the same way you would add a firearm, just paste it over to one of the existing rounds nif. and give it a different name. adding a new ammo type to the game is a little harder though and involves alot of LVLI editing.

Jaysus: i dont know how you got your method to work, i could not duplicate it successfully. when i tried it just crashed the game =(. the official Nifskope 1.0.16 has been released and i dont think you need to go through the process of re-adding the shaders anymore ;)