Mostly a few suggestions for the site from an end user PoV

leeus

Heya,

I'm not sure where this belongs to, sorry if it's misplaced.

I wanted to make a couple of requests/suggestions/improvements, that I'd wanna see made in the site, specifically regarding mod downloading and managing for the end user (i.e. not from the modder's point of view.)

1. First thing is the Download History... the way it's handled now it's awesome, thank you for making the changes you did in the past. I'd want to ask for an extra feature, though.

Could you add a check box, or something to the list, that would allow you to filter (i.e. remove from view) or at least dim mods for whom the last uploaded > last download time? I don't like to use the mod tracker because that list is actually less functional than the download history view... i.e. no sorting by arbitrary columns, no way to endorse mods, not search filter bar... etc. OTOH, you can actually be tracking mods that you didn't actually download yet too, which makes that view even more less functional for this particular purpose.

Reason: As a person that doesn't use Vortex and doesn't wanna use it (I prefer to use a different mod manager,) I mostly keep up to date with mods by using that list (the one accessible via Mods -> Download History) and sorting the list by Upload Date, and then slowly scrolling through it checking visually for when that mentioned condition applies... it would be awesome if the site would allow us to just filter the list, or at least highlight the mods that need to be re-downloaded! It doesn't seem as something that would be too difficult to implement!

2. W.r.t. to endorsements... I often review my download history for mods that I haven't endorsed yet (due to me downloading them but not actually installing them yet...) and so I use the endorsement status in that list to mentally check: did I actually install this mod yet? -> did I play the game with it installed? -> did it work well? -> endorse.

But, there are mods for which the mod author disabled endorsements, and I have quite a few of them in my list... it would be awesome if those could either be marked as 'not endorsable' by the site, or at least have a way for them to dismiss the endorse mark so they don't always keep me tripping me into trying to endorse them just to get the error again.

3. It would be awesome if there was a comment tracker... at least a 'recent' comment tracker! I.e. each time you make a comment in a mod's comment section, have a way to see and remember where it was, and see if it was responded to, or if the comment section received more comments since then, etc. Or at least some way to be reminded of *where* you posted (i.e. in which mod's comment sections you actually posted comments... I'm not sure if there's even something like that that you can use atm!) and when, and a way to quickly jump back there. Also, perhaps a way to see if the mod where you posted did actually receive an update since your post, even if no one commented or responded, etc. (Could be useful for mods where you posted in the past, but which the authors closed the mod's comment section since then.)

Reason: Currently, even with all notification options turned on, I get no notification when someone replies to me. Unless maybe there are a different option somewhere that I haven't seen, or that I didn't interpret as pertaining to mod's comment section posts? But even if that worked, that would actually only apply to direct replies, and not to checking for new posts for other users in the same mod you already posted.

4. I know this is probably out of scope for the site... but, I'd like to see some sort of personal tag customization system even if it's just a few tags, as long as they're 'user defined' and private (not requiring other users to confirm them and that they are just visible to you,) for the fact that I'd like to apply tags to a mod that only make sense to me.

I.e. imagine tagging mods according to interest (looks interesting, needs review, for next play-through, etc. there could be a ton of different reasons to tag a mod for personal use) or to mark some mods as not visible for a certain criteria so you can keep them out of your searches and main lists.

Perhaps it could be an extension of the current mod tracker, in the sense that you're tracking the mods but just need to add a qualification(s) or label(s) to the tracking. I.e. I'd like to see all my tracked mods that I still haven't downloaded, for example... I know I have lots, since I mostly track mods for the reason that they look interesting to me, even if they aren't appropriate to my current install. If I had a track tag applied to those mods, I could find that just using the tag search system.

The only objection I have with the current tag system is the fact that the actual tags are not user defined (i.e. you can't input your own tag name in the system and have a mod tagged with that.)

That's all! In any case, these are just raw and very crude ideas, and nothing more... I'm just as happy in using the site even if they were never implemented! If something here can be used or adapted to the site in the future, I'll be glad and grateful.

Thank you for your continuous hard work in keeping this vast mod library working!

Best regards,

Leandro.

Edited by leeus

3. It would be awesome if there was a comment tracker... at least a 'recent' comment tracker! I.e. each time you make a comment in a mod's comment section, have a way to see and remember where it was, and see if it was responded to, or if the comment section received more comments since then, etc. Or at least some way to be reminded of *where* you posted (i.e. in which mod's comment sections you actually posted comments... I'm not sure if there's even something like that that you can use atm!) and when, and a way to quickly jump back there. Also, perhaps a way to see if the mod where you posted did actually receive an update since your post, even if no one commented or responded, etc. (Could be useful for mods where you posted in the past, but which the authors closed the mod's comment section since then.)

Reason: Currently, even with all notification options turned on, I get no notification when someone replies to me. Unless maybe there are a different option somewhere that I haven't seen, or that I didn't interpret as pertaining to mod's comment section posts? But even if that worked, that would actually only apply to direct replies, and not to checking for new posts for other users in the same mod you already posted.

check your profile for this stuff on the forums: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/user/372530-leeus/

#3. In the top left corner of the page is your avatar and user name. To the right of it is a triangle with the point facing down. Left click on the triangle and a menu opens. Left click on "My Content" and you will be taken to a page showing where you have posted in the past year to the date you accessed your content. To the left of the post are two speech balloons. If they are white, there is a new post. This will usually be the first ones displayed. However, there are times when you will have to look over the older pages.

Yeah, thank you! Forgot to mention that... But that works in the context of the forums though... you can't switch from there to mod comment sections and land precisely at your post. And answering post from there is weird and doesn't match the way you usually format stuff in the comment sections (i.e. no embedded replies, and such.)

I mean, you're right in the sense that you can actually find your old posts in mod's sections, but you don't have a way to go back and reply/browse the actual mod sites from there.

In all honesty, I'm not a heavy forum user myself... and I'd prefer to stay in the mod's site context for handling mod's comments, but perhaps I'm alone in that?

IMO at least is something missing there, and that can be enhanced a bit... again IMO.

Thank for the replies!

1. First thing is the Download History... the way it's handled now it's awesome, thank you for making the changes you did in the past. I'd want to ask for an extra feature, though.

Could you add a check box, or something to the list, that would allow you to filter (i.e. remove from view) or at least dim mods for whom the last uploaded > last download time? I don't like to use the mod tracker because that list is actually less functional than the download history view... i.e. no sorting by arbitrary columns, no way to endorse mods, not search filter bar... etc. OTOH, you can actually be tracking mods that you didn't actually download yet too, which makes that view even more less functional for this particular purpose.

Strange I use the mod tracking list specifically to sort by LAST UPLOAD so I can quickly see which mods have been updated the most recently.

Strange I use the mod tracking list specifically to sort by LAST UPLOAD so I can quickly see which mods have been updated the most recently.

Yeah, true... I also look at the tracking centre quite a lot, but you can't endorse from there... and also, there are a lots of mods that I'm tracking that I'm not particularly interested in updating yet, since I'm not using them in the current play-through.

Also, the Download History *seems* implemented in a more responsive way, i.e. in the sense that it doesn't require you to do a reload to see next pages and move around, or even change the sorting criteria... that's why I thought (admittedly, with very little knowledge to support my guess, granted...) that it could be probably extended to do what I wanted with not much work!