Potential new utility for merges and large load orders. Anyone interested?

primem0ver

The first test of converting a mod to an ESL with form renumbering has finally worked perfectly (that was done a few months ago and took a considerable amount of time). After looking at the code used by SSEdit, I have a feeling mine will work a little better since it checks for potential problems beforehand and handles conversions by record type. It doesn't just change the records themselves. It also checks all references to that record so that may solve the custom voice problem. It also automatically handles face tint renaming/renumbering. I am now testing the mass mod esl conversion functionality as I FINALLY got the code for it completed.

ESL or ESPfe?

ESL = Can't sort

ESPfe = Can sort

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't EVER want to merge plugins... UNLESS I have a tool to record an audit trail of the entire process in a reversible fashion, such that when updates appear for mods that were merged the updates can then be applied to the merge. In a discussion the other day, Tannin hinted that he might be trying to conceive how to implement such a thing in Vortex.

All I want to do in the meantime is able to Lighten as many plugins as possible. "Possible" has meant, thus far for me, Lightening every ESP that can be that doesn't also require compacting FormIDs; I am wary of screwing things up attempting to do the latter when I don't yet understand the process or consequences.

If I had a tool that extended Vortex's "Make Light" function to every potential ESP and not just the most trivial ones, that would be useful to me.

ESL or ESPfe?

ESL = Can't sort

ESPfe = Can sort

Assuming you are using the definition found here then I am talking about ESPFEs. (If a mod is created correctly then an *.esl file should already have the ESL flag set). However I am not converting them in xEdit or any other program beforehand. If a mod can be potentially converted, the row header is marked as such (a green mark means it can be converted without compaction and a yellow mark means it can be converted with compaction... see the picture in the post on the second page). You only need to right click the mod and click "Convert to ESL". If the mod needs to be compacted first, it is done automatically (assuming the mod passes a final check which searches for incompatible scripts).

Edited by primem0ver

I don't EVER want to merge plugins... UNLESS I have a tool to record an audit trail of the entire process in a reversible fashion, such that when updates appear for mods that were merged the updates can then be applied to the merge. In a discussion the other day, Tannin hinted that he might be trying to conceive how to implement such a thing in Vortex.

All I want to do in the meantime is able to Lighten as many plugins as possible. "Possible" has meant, thus far for me, Lightening every ESP that can be that doesn't also require compacting FormIDs; I am wary of screwing things up attempting to do the latter when I don't yet understand the process or consequences.

If I had a tool that extended Vortex's "Make Light" function to every potential ESP and not just the most trivial ones, that would be useful to me.

Regarding your first point: that is fine; though you should probably know that even if a merge leaves an "audit trail" (which my utility provides indirectly) any merged that is rebuilt with an update will likely break the savegame. I have done this before. The savegame can be fixed with a tool I have used in the past but it is not easy to do.

Regarding your last point: yes... my utility will be able to do that. This is the functionality I am currently working on.

Edited by primem0ver

That sounds very promising. Since Vortex has also implemented the easy form, what would you think of submitting the core of your work as an upgrade to the existing Make Light feature? Sure, I can add your tool to the Dashboard, but being able to visually select multiple plugins right inside Vortex and then apply the feature to all of them as a group, as I can now, would be fully awesome.

That sounds very promising. Since Vortex has also implemented the easy form, what would you think of submitting the core of your work as an upgrade to the existing Make Light feature? Sure, I can add your tool to the Dashboard, but being able to visually select multiple plugins right inside Vortex and then apply the feature to all of them as a group, as I can now, would be fully awesome.

Well... I really don't mind sharing code for something like this (I plan on doing that eventually anyway) but I am pretty sure Vortex is written in C++ and my application is written in C#. As a result, the code would not be directly usable in the Vortex project (a rewrite in C++ would be necessary).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How does this differ to using 'The Method' as described here (scroll down a ways):

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/25093

I am not entirely sure. This appears to be a new feature of xEdit!? I read the beginning but I am not sure what it does or how it works. I will have to look into it more unless someone wants to sum it up real quick.

EDIT:

I have looked at that page more. The answer to your question depends on what you mean. If you are referring to "The Method" at the top of the page, that is not something that is currently done by my software... (creating a mod group). If you are talking about the "easy method" for creating ESLs... it completely changes it into something even more simple. My utility color codes which mods can be made into ESLs (green row header) and which mods must be compacted first (yellow row header). With my utility, BOTH can be done at the same time. You can also mass convert mods at will (depending on the method used). You don't have to worry about "changing flags" for anything. My utility also leaves a "paper trail" for mods changed so that those changes can be undone or "finalized" later.

Edited by primem0ver

UPDATE: The mass conversion utility now works. When a conversion action is taken, it creates an "undo" and a "commit" batch file that can be used to undo the changes made or "finalize" the changes made (delete the backup files) after they are tested.

I still need to convert a large number of mods before I can be certain that all mods will convert properly but that is my next step.