Vortex giving "Application State Invalid" warning + more

Wulf21
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

Yesterday I was playing SSE perfectly fine and didn't have issues with Vortex, but when I opened vortex today, I got the Application State Invalid warning. I decided to click "backup and repair" figuring it would work fine after that, but instead I get a boatload of notifs and then a menu box pops up saying some mod (that I do not even recognize having) has been messed with, which it hasn't, and then says if I click continue I can irreversibly lose data, leaving quit as the only other option. If I do manage to click the "restore backup" before this box opens, Vortex simply crashes and gives the same warning upon launch again. I seriously have no idea how to fix this without losing data which I obviously do not want to do, and also because I only just finally got my game almost perfect. Please help if you can, I have no idea what to do or whats causing this as all the forums i could find were from 2018 and did not have a solution besides switching mod organizers, which I also don't want to do. Because of the warnings I do get, I'm not going to launch my game until this is fixed as it tells me I'm missing files and scripts, which I was not yesterday, and I'd like to avoid making the problem worse. Please help, I cannot even play my game now.

- the mod it mentions file is called RAW SSE 4k, which is not a mod I even am aware of so I know I do not have whatever that is and thus do not understand how to fix my issue.

The error message with the "Backup and repair" button shows a list of the error it found and would be repairing.

Second: I can only guess which error dialog you mean when you say "then says if I click continue I can irreversibly lose..." but if it's the dialog I think it is, that too contains details about what is wrong.

Please provide screenshots of both these screens.

The error message with the "Backup and repair" button shows a list of the error it found and would be repairing.

Second: I can only guess which error dialog you mean when you say "then says if I click continue I can irreversibly lose..." but if it's the dialog I think it is, that too contains details about what is wrong.

Please provide screenshots of both these screens.

I'll attach some screenshots here but the backup and repair option sadly did not say anything besides backup and repair. It also no longer brings up that original screen saying "Application State Invalid" and now only brings me into the app where this menu pops up immediately after i see in the corner "loose files might not get loaded" and "script error" but before I can do anything about those. As said, I do not even recognize this mod nor do I know what this means, as I haven't done anything outside of the manager itself.

https://pasteboard.co/Jh25hav.png

hope that link works!

Going by the screen-shot, the mod is "Rustic armor and weapons", https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/19666?tab=descripti

Thank you! That actually makes sense as when I initially installed it, it didn't work so I went to uninstall it and it kept saying "cannot uninstall a mod while it is installing" which was not the case as it was not being installed and it eventually just left an empty textbox next to a "disabled" button and I couldn't get rid of it. My next question though is, how do I fix this? I've since reinstalled it and haven't had a single issue but if i need to reinstall it again I happily will. How would I fix this since I can't really get into vortex? I'll take any help I can get, I miss playing! And again thank you I never would have put those two together lol

• Solution

What the dialog is telling you is that if you click "Apply Changes", Vortex will create a valid mod entry for that one mod. The mod is probably not going to work since it wasn't installed correctly but you can then simply remove it from inside Vortex and - if you want - try to install it again. All other mods should be fine, Vortex isn't touching anything else.

The dialog says that mods removed in this step will be irreversably lost, but that's not what's happening in this case, Vortex is _adding_ a mod that it didn't previously have information on.

It's just trying to tell you "pleeaaase review the changes described below carefully, don't just click continue blindly.". The message isn't intended to scare you off, just to be careful.

What the dialog is telling you is that if you click "Apply Changes", Vortex will create a valid mod entry for that one mod. The mod is probably not going to work since it wasn't installed correctly but you can then simply remove it from inside Vortex and - if you want - try to install it again. All other mods should be fine, Vortex isn't touching anything else.

The dialog says that mods removed in this step will be irreversably lost, but that's not what's happening in this case, Vortex is _adding_ a mod that it didn't previously have information on.

It's just trying to tell you "pleeaaase review the changes described below carefully, don't just click continue blindly.". The message isn't intended to scare you off, just to be careful.

Thank you so much! I did that and it's all fixed now. I appreciate it a lot!