"Sharing" power between multiple settlements possible?

Seems to me, that power use/generation isn't going to change in any settlements that you aren't currently in...... (now, keep in mind, my scripting experience is from way back in Oblivion..... so, no idea how much, if any, of this would actually apply)

So, have a quest running that tracks power. When you build generators, in an area with a 'sharing node', it adds to the available pool, which would be stored as a quest variable. Move on to some other settlement, create another 'power node' that can tap into the power pool. (or add to it, if you build generators in that settlement) The only time the 'available pool' is going to change, is if you build something that adds to it, or, requires power from it. No idea if you can dynamically alter how much the node actually puts out though..... Maybe fixed-value nodes, and if you need more power, build another one in series? (up to the limit of the available pool.)

I have a "Powering up the Commonwealth" quest soluiton thing never published.

Riffing on the Fallout 76 "powering up" daily operations that can power various workshop machinery.

Player repairs one or more of the old nuclear power plants which provide several K shared power to workshop constructable distribution nodes.

Created to test out some radiant UX and dynamic combat ideas, the power stations can be attacked and damaged or held ransom to brownout or blackout.

Since most remaining Fallout 4 players dont like uncertainty to mess with their immersion and/or use Sim Settlements which probably does its own power thing, totally pointless.

I actually don't use SimSettlements since it kind of messes up the "unlocking" of Spectacle Island for me and it is "incompatible" with mods that add other workshop catergorys (Thematic and Practical!!).

I have no idea what you are talking about with the 76 stuff, I never played that game (because it can't be modded)

But those are great ideas ....

About the "immersion" thing:

Having technical details like this is something that would improve the "immersion experience" for me ...

But that's just because I am a very technical person ...

I mean it sounds simple at first:

Have a global variable for each settlement that stores the current "power value" and then have a quest (or lots of persistant enablemarkers in some hidden cell) to keep track of what settlements are connected to each other.

Then just "combine" the values of connected settlements:

For example:

GreengardenPower = 100

OberlandStationPower = 150

So the power of that "connected grid" would be 100+150=250 power units

There would have to be a script that summs up all the "consumtion" and "generation" of power in a settlement, of course.

Since not everything is loaded at the same time, this would be tricky ...

I don't know ...

And about the "Since most remaining Fallout 4 players dont like uncertainty to mess with their immersion and/or use Sim Settlements which probably does its own power thing, totally pointless."

I don't care.

I make mods for myself and for my own enjoyment.

I don't care what other people like or don't like.

But yes, I do not like "uncertainty to mess with my immersion"

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

This is what the Transformers in my EEE mod do: [Generator at Settlement A] ---> [Transformer at settlement A] --(high voltage connection)--> [Transformer at settlement B] ---> [Consumer]. The EEE mod is not ready for publishing tho. But you can test it anyways if you want, drop me a msg.

Here's a video: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/videos/10706. You're looking at a small sized transformer, sitting in Kingsport and being connected at the HV side (via another Transformer at Concord) to a Generator in Concord. There is no local generator at Kingsport. The lighthouse is connected to the Low Voltage side of the Kingport transformer.

Btw: Real-Time and dynamically updating the required power on the feeding end is not possible - Papyrus is way, way, way too slow.

This is what the Transformers in my EEE mod do: [Generator at Settlement A] ---> [Transformer at settlement A] --(high voltage connection)--> [Transformer at settlement B] ---> [Consumer]. The EEE mod is not ready for publishing tho. But you can test it anyways if you want, drop me a msg.

Here's a video: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/videos/10706. You're looking at a small sized transformer, sitting in Kingsport and being connected at the HV side (via another Transformer at Concord) to a Generator in Concord. There is no local generator at Kingsport. The lighthouse is connected to the Low Voltage side of the Kingport transformer.

Btw: Real-Time and dynamically updating the required power on the feeding end is not possible - Papyrus is way, way, way too slow.

Well ...

Looks like I am not the only one who wants to implement this ...