I Need Help With Oblivion Crashing

TLC77

Why didn't you follow my instructions instead of directly disabling Oblivion Scaling Unclusterf*#@ed.esp?

You'd better either fix the errors in Oblivion Scaling Unclusterf*#@ed.esp or load a save with the latter active and follow UESP's guide for a clean save https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes4Mod:Clean_Save

Sorry, I forgot about that. I tried going into TES4Edit and try and fix the "NDA" errors but when I went into the Armors section, all of them had no conflicts and issues, they were just white.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a lot about the Steam version of the game, just what I pick up reading posts on here, but isn't it possible for you to get Steam to verify the vanilla game files? I agree that you have something not right, and it does seems likely that it's vanilla Oblivion (you gained a bunch more of those Bound item warnings).

Perhaps a test using a new game start rather than loading a save will help narrow it down (I'm thinking that all those Bound item errors are just a result of whatever the underlying problem is, not necessarily part of the problem). A crash log from a new game start will not have any "baggage" coming from the save file (and if it doesn't crash may point towards save corruption being the problem).

Alright, I'll try that. Will edit the comment once I get the info.

Edit: Created a new game and proceeded to do the main questline. When I tried going to Kvatch, the game froze https://pastebin.com/WDdgdrAn

Providing your load order hasn't changed since you posted the load order Paste Bin, your warnings from Paste Bin lines 4 thru 289 are all Better Cities related (specifically Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp). The two Oblivion Uncut warnings are consistent across all of your Paste Bin crash log postings (just changing position in the log). You have a new one this time I believe at Paste Bin line 296 that according to the mod index number (24) should be related to DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp (though an error from before that is worded exactly the same seemed to reference Knights.esp ... could be a load order change at work here). The four Offset Collection for Worldspace warnings remain for the same things.

I would think that the final Crash Log entries are the ones most closely related to your crash, but the final two give no clue of their source, and the one at Paste Bin line 341 introduces a new one that doesn't make sense since the mod at index 2F is ShinySeptims_Septimus.esp (what would it have to do with ChorrolStoneWallStone01 ... makes no sense except maybe a dirty edit, or again your load order is different from the last one you posted).

My own tried and true method for installing mod is simple ... install one mod and test thoroughly. Once satisfied that it is working correctly add one mod mod (and of course test thoroughly). Yes it takes some time (I spent well over two weeks setting up my current load order, but a lot of that time was spent getting Basic Primary Needs, Basic Physical Activities and Realistic Fatigue set up the way I wanted them ... they have quite a bit of overlap and interaction)).

The advantage that my way offers a situation like this is that when you add a single mod to a perfectly working game and then something breaks it's a trivial matter to figure out where to start your troubleshooting. As you can see, your situation right now is more akin to trying to find the one end of a piece of spaghetti you need to fix ... on a whole plate of spaghetti.

Edited by Striker879

I don't know a lot about the Steam version of the game, just what I pick up reading posts on here, but isn't it possible for you to get Steam to verify the vanilla game files? I agree that you have something not right, and it does seems likely that it's vanilla Oblivion (you gained a bunch more of those Bound item warnings).

Perhaps a test using a new game start rather than loading a save will help narrow it down (I'm thinking that all those Bound item errors are just a result of whatever the underlying problem is, not necessarily part of the problem). A crash log from a new game start will not have any "baggage" coming from the save file (and if it doesn't crash may point towards save corruption being the problem).

Edit: Created a new game and proceeded to do the main questline. When I tried going to Kvatch, the game froze https://pastebin.com/WDdgdrAn

Providing your load order hasn't changed since you posted the load order Paste Bin, your warnings from Paste Bin lines 4 thru 289 are all Better Cities related (specifically Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp). The two Oblivion Uncut warnings are consistent across all of your Paste Bin crash log postings (just changing position in the log). You have a new one this time I believe at Paste Bin line 296 that according to the mod index number (24) should be related to DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp (though an error from before that is worded exactly the same seemed to reference Knights.esp ... could be a load order change at work here). The four Offset Collection for Worldspace warnings remain for the same things.

I would think that the final Crash Log entries are the ones most closely related to your crash, but the final two give no clue of their source, and the one at Paste Bin line 341 introduces a new one that doesn't make sense since the mod at index 2F is ShinySeptims_Septimus.esp (what would it have to do with ChorrolStoneWallStone01 ... makes no sense except maybe a dirty edit, or again your load order is different from the last one you posted).

My own tried and true method for installing mod is simple ... install one mod and test thoroughly. Once satisfied that it is working correctly add one mod mod (and of course test thoroughly). Yes it takes some time (I spent well over two weeks setting up my current load order, but a lot of that time was spent getting Basic Primary Needs, Basic Physical Activities and Realistic Fatigue set up the way I wanted them ... they have quite a bit of overlap and interaction)).

The advantage that my way offers a situation like this is that when you add a single mod to a perfectly working game and then something breaks it's a trivial matter to figure out where to start your troubleshooting. As you can see, your situation right now is more akin to trying to find the one end of a piece of spaghetti you need to fix ... on a whole plate of spaghetti.

So from what you (thankfully, I am gratified by that) deducted, it is most probably Better Cities. I will then do the same thing as I did before with Oblivion Unclustered and edit the comment. Again, thank you for helping me.

So from what you (thankfully, I am gratified by that) deducted, it is most probably Better Cities. I will then do the same thing as I did before with Oblivion Unclustered and edit the comment. Again, thank you for helping me.

Keep in mind what we are doing right now is sort of the inverse of my usual method (the one at a time part) so it may take a while to narrow down things to the root cause.

Often you will see advice to disable half the mods in your load order and test. If the problem remains then disable half of those remaining. When you finally get to the point where the culprit mod is disabled you can either add back from that group one at a time until you find the one causing the problem, or in the case of the first half including the problem mod use a re-enable half method (and if everything is OK in the first try then maybe one at a time through the rest).

- Edit - One of the downsides to using the "edit a post to update info" method is that there is no visual indication that new info has been added to a particular thread (I know this because I am a master at doing the edit thing, and have run into plenty of occasions where somebody didn't know I added something).

There's no limit on how many replies can be added to a post, so feel free to add your new updates that way and then all will see that new info has been added to the thread.

Edited by Striker879

Why didn't you follow my instructions instead of directly disabling Oblivion Scaling Unclusterf*#@ed.esp?

You'd better either fix the errors in Oblivion Scaling Unclusterf*#@ed.esp or load a save with the latter active and follow UESP's guide for a clean save https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes4Mod:Clean_Save

Sorry, I forgot about that. I tried going into TES4Edit and try and fix the "NDA" errors but when I went into the Armors section, all of them had no conflicts and issues, they were just white.

What do you mean with NDA?

Why do you mention conflicts since I gave you my advices to fix errors involving a removed script?

Keep in mind what we are doing right now is sort of the inverse of my usual method (the one at a time part) so it may take a while to narrow down things to the root cause.

Often you will see advice to disable half the mods in your load order and test. If the problem remains then disable half of those remaining. When you finally get to the point where the culprit mod is disabled you can either add back from that group one at a time until you find the one causing the problem, or in the case of the first half including the problem mod use a re-enable half method (and if everything is OK in the first try then maybe one at a time through the rest).

- Edit - One of the downsides to using the "edit a post to update info" method is that there is no visual indication that new info has been added to a particular thread (I know this because I am a master at doing the edit thing, and have run into plenty of occasions where somebody didn't know I added something).

There's no limit on how many replies can be added to a post, so feel free to add your new updates that way and then all will see that new info has been added to the thread.

Despite me trying to break the game as much as i could, I failed to, thankfully. From what I understood, it was indeed Better Cities and probably Oblivion Scaling Unclustered. I have decided that I will just download some parts of Better Cities and wanted to know if it will or will not crash https://imgur.com/a/2wVtSKz

I don't know much of anything about Better Cities myself (never downloaded or installed it). Perhaps somebody with experience using it will have an answer.

I use Children of Cyrodiil ... it's on my must have/base install list. A word of advice, in my opinion there are occasions where I'm pretty certain that it is the cause of a CTD (the kids at Anvil stables and a bit less often for the boys at Skingrad stables are the two spots I notice it). I have a spot when approaching both areas that I make a save, except of course those times I have a brain cramp (and then it's Murphy's Law that I'll get a crash).

I really like what the mod brings to the game so I cut it some slack. It's not like this game doesn't come equipped right out of the box to activate that crash "feature" that Bethesda built into it.

I use Children of Cyrodiil ... it's on my must have/base install list. A word of advice, in my opinion there are occasions where I'm pretty certain that it is the cause of a CTD (the kids at Anvil stables and a bit less often for the boys at Skingrad stables are the two spots I notice it). I have a spot when approaching both areas that I make a save, except of course those times I have a brain cramp (and then it's Murphy's Law that I'll get a crash).

I really like what the mod brings to the game so I cut it some slack. It's not like this game doesn't come equipped right out of the box to activate that crash "feature" that Bethesda built into it.

Oh alright, thanks for the advice. But more importantly, thank you for sticking with me and helping me identify the source of CTDs in my game. I will remember this knowledge and use it whenever I encounter it again. I will now proceed to installing the mods from both of the screenshots and if it's something that I completely have no idea how to fix then hey, atleast I know who to ask :happy: