⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

I Need Help With Oblivion Crashing

TLC77

It could have been because WB already had done an auto-anneal (I should have asked if you have a tick mark beside that in the context menu).

Idles have that in their file name (e.g. idle.kf, blockidle.kf, handtohandidle.kf etc). My game is extensively modded in that category (animation replacers) so I can't say for certain if the folder Data\Meshes\Characters\_male\Idleanims is a vanilla folder or a mod added folder (my guess would be the later) but those example KFs I gave you are all in the vanilla game Data\Meshes\Characters\_male folder so the original game versions of them are safely tucked away in Oblivion - Meshes.bsa so you can't "break" anything by temporarily moving the idle KFs to a backup folder and see which one (or ones) are the culprits.

Look at the offending idle animations in game. That will give you a clue as to which ones to start with (an ordinary stand in one spot idle is way different in game that a handtohand or one handed sword idle).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could have been because WB already had done an auto-anneal (I should have asked if you have a tick mark beside that in the context menu).

Idles have that in their file name (e.g. idle.kf, blockidle.kf, handtohandidle.kf etc). My game is extensively modded in that category (animation replacers) so I can't say for certain if the folder Data\Meshes\Characters\_male\Idleanims is a vanilla folder or a mod added folder (my guess would be the later) but those example KFs I gave you are all in the vanilla game Data\Meshes\Characters\_male folder so the original game versions of them are safely tucked away in Oblivion - Meshes.bsa so you can't "break" anything by temporarily moving the idle KFs to a backup folder and see which one (or ones) are the culprits.

Look at the offending idle animations in game. That will give you a clue as to which ones to start with (an ordinary stand in one spot idle is way different in game that a handtohand or one handed sword idle).

So should I take out all of the animations and then verify game files so that there are only vanilla files?

So should I take out all of the animations and then verify game files so that there are only vanilla files?

If it's only idles that are the problem I wouldn't go so far as remove all animations, just idles (and I'd be more along the one at a time and test between ... but that is my nature). You shouldn't need to verify game files as the vanilla game does not come with a folder Data\Meshes\Characters\_male ... that folder is hidden inside Oblivion - Meshes.bsa and the CURP installation surely wouldn't have touched the vanilla game BSAs.

Start with the file Oblivion\Data\Meshes\Characters\_male\idle.kf and then work through the other idles (like I outlined before).

If it's only idles that are the problem I wouldn't go so far as remove all animations, just idles (and I'd be more along the one at a time and test between ... but that is my nature). You shouldn't need to verify game files as the vanilla game does not come with a folder Data\Meshes\Characters\_male ... that folder is hidden inside Oblivion - Meshes.bsa and the CURP installation surely wouldn't have touched the vanilla game BSAs.

Start with the file Oblivion\Data\Meshes\Characters\_male\idle.kf and then work through the other idles (like I outlined before).

Using FOMM, I found the idle.kf file https://imgur.com/a/E1P5ZEm

Where should I go from here?

Create a folder somewhere you can easily find again and the copy the file idle.kf to that folder. Once you have done the copy/paste of idle.kf then delete the one in the game's Data\Meshes\Characters\_male folder. Then go into the game and see whether or not you still have your annoying idle problem. If it's gone then lesson learned ... if it is still there then do the same with another of the many files that has idle in the file name (e.g. handtohandidle.kf or blockidle.kf). Eventually you will find the one (or more than one) that is causing the problem and then you can move all of the other idles back (or not ... the game will just use the vanilla idles).

- Edit - What are the NPCs doing when they have the annoying idle ... just standing around, standing with a sword out, sneaking, etc?

Edited by Striker879

Create a folder somewhere you can easily find again and the copy the file idle.kf to that folder. Once you have done the copy/paste of idle.kf then delete the one in the game's Data\Meshes\Characters\_male folder. Then go into the game and see whether or not you still have your annoying idle problem. If it's gone then lesson learned ... if it is still there then do the same with another of the many files that has idle in the file name (e.g. handtohandidle.kf or blockidle.kf). Eventually you will find the one (or more than one) that is causing the problem and then you can move all of the other idles back (or not ... the game will just use the vanilla idles).

- Edit - What are the NPCs doing when they have the annoying idle ... just standing around, standing with a sword out, sneaking, etc?

I can't find the idle.kf in my Oblivion folder, and I can't uninstall it using FOMM.

Also their animations seems to be a missing texture fishing pole, i.e completely pink.

So it's just the fishing one that is the problem?

I have a mod that I downloaded years ago and never installed that has a fishing animation ... BBB rowing and fishing animations. In that mod the fishing animation is in Data\Meshes\Characters\_Male\IdleAnims\CSVFarms\Fishing.kf and is meant as a BBB replacer for Castle Sea View Farms. Not sure if that will help you locate it in Windows Explorer.

I have a mod that I downloaded years ago and never installed that has a fishing animation ... BBB rowing and fishing animations. In that mod the fishing animation is in Data\Meshes\Characters\_Male\IdleAnims\CSVFarms\Fishing.kf and is meant as a BBB replacer for Castle Sea View Farms. Not sure if that will help you locate it in Windows Explorer.

Well it's not as simple as that... most NPCs in my game are now stuck in idle animations that are no longer present from CURP, since, I deleted it.

Well it's not as simple as that... most NPCs in my game are now stuck in idle animations that are no longer present from CURP, since, I deleted it.

You may be at a point where the easiest way out of the spot you're in is to start over with a clean install of Oblivion.

I've been at this a long time, and have learned an awful lot working other people's problems. I suppose it is also because of my nature, but I spend quite a bit of time understanding the mods I install, before I install them. Something as large as that CURP thing would likely take me years before I finally got around to installing it (and that's if I really wanted it).

Take Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul for example. I've been following the developments on that overhaul for as long as it's been around. When I put my current character's load order together (granted this was in spring 2014 and MOO had only been out about a year and a half at that time) I thought about including MOO but decided against it at that time because I had some mods lined up that would substantially change how the game plays (BPN + BPA + RF were going to be the new additions). I wanted to understand how those three mods affected the game without any other major changes to previous load orders. Yes I'm quite a bit overdue for a new game start, but I'm still enjoying my current guy and this load order. I've been following a video playthrough that includes MOO without too much else as far as overhaul type mods and I'm confident enough I have a good bead on what MOO brings to the table gameplay wise that it will be in my next load order.

Even if that happened tomorrow it would have only taken eight years.

Edited by Striker879

You may be at a point where the easiest way out of the spot you're in is to start over with a clean install of Oblivion.

I've been at this a long time, and have learned an awful lot working other people's problems. I suppose it is also because of my nature, but I spend quite a bit of time understanding the mods I install, before I install them. Something as large as that CURP thing would likely take me years before I finally got around to installing it (and that's if I really wanted it).

Take Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul for example. I've been following the developments on that overhaul for as long as it's been around. When I put my current character's load order together (granted this was in spring 2014 and MOO had only been out about a year and a half at that time) I thought about including MOO but decided against it at that time because I had some mods lined up that would substantially change how the game plays (BPN + BPA + RF were going to be the new additions). I wanted to understand how those three mods affected the game without any other major changes to previous load orders. Yes I'm quite a bit overdue for a new game start, but I'm still enjoying my current guy and this load order. I've been following a video playthrough that includes MOO without too much else as far as overhaul type mods and I'm confident enough I have a good bead on what MOO brings to the table gameplay wise that it will be in my next load order.

Even if that happened tomorrow it would have only taken eight years.

Welp, Oblivion was good time while it lasted. I probably won't make another install of Oblivion as I am tired of trying to make it work for about 10 days twice in my life. If I do install it again, I'll know not to install CURP. Just the thought of redoing so much progress makes me feel bad so unfortunately, I probably won't play this legend for a very long time.

I tried Skyrim SE with all the DLCs and it was fun until the late game, I just click on an enemy with my Daedric Mace and they disappear, fun gameplay, no creativity whatsoever.

Anyways, thanks for sticking with me and helping me, and for any travelers who found this forum post, i implore you, download the Message Logger OBSE plugin and do not install CURP, and make sure to read what people have commented on the mod on the nexus mod page.