Read this if you are new to skyrim and skyrim modding

dederara

When modding this game. You re about to experience frustration that would lead you to nowhere....You will spend hours only to fix problems, which I don't know why people still love this game. Game without mods won't finish and that is the beauty of the game, but out of hundreds of hours playing with this game...I'm giving up because i have life...Why should I make 10 year old game playable in 2020 that each day something is going to conflict with my game. Last week my game ran smooth and today I decided to have another play(there was no update by the way)And now boom...CTD every every 5 minutes...You know it doesn't worth it....If you want to play the game...Just get some weather and lighting mod and maybe iaft and you are off....This game is awful but great at the same time......Anyway skyrim was the worst thing ever happened to my life and I'm glad I'm leaving this nightmare, so if you are wishing to play a game like a normal person dont ever mod this game or buy this game...Game like witcher wild hunt doesnt need modding...go with those

Sorry for my English

<snippity>

Sorry to hear you had difficulty modding the game. I recommend starting with a curated modlist like STEP which will get you acquainted with modding basics and tools and utilities that work together to prevent crashes and improve stability.

If you follow the STEP guide you'll have an easier time getting Skyrim to be closer to the game you want to play.

Could not disagree more. Yes it's true, I am a veteran with intimate knowledge of the engine's quirks and no no's. However...it is not hard to build a stable mod set if one follows a few simple rules.

1. DO NOT install multiple mods that attempt to achieve the same ends unless there is a tried and true patch to make them work together.

2. ALWAYS read ALL documentation, especially the dependency and compatibility sections.

3. Much like prescription drugs, mods that have been around for awhile have all of there side effects listed so lean towards those with the most lifetime endorsements.

4. Before downloading always check the user comments for issues being reported.

5. Finally and MOST IMPORTANTLY, start a new game with your new mod set and be prepared to scrap it should something go wrong. DO NOT become attached to your saves, they are all expendable and starting over just gives you more game time. Embrace the fresh start and you will ALWAYS prevail over the unknown.

Could not disagree more. Yes it's true, I am a veteran with intimate knowledge of the engine's quirks and no no's. However...it is not hard to build a stable mod set if one follows a few simple rules.

1. DO NOT install multiple mods that attempt to achieve the same ends unless there is a tried and true patch to make them work together.

2. ALWAYS read ALL documentation, especially the dependency and compatibility sections.

3. Much like prescription drugs, mods that have been around for awhile have all of there side effects listed so lean towards those with the most lifetime endorsements.

5. Finally and MOST IMPORTANTLY, start a new game with your new mod set and be prepared to scrap it should something go wrong. DO NOT become attached to your saves, they are all expendable and starting over just gives you more game time. Embrace the fresh start and you will ALWAYS prevail over the unknown.

Ummm... what you describe is "hard" for the majority of players. For a mod list of 400+ plugins (and more that have none), that is a job that will stretch on for months of problem-solving, bug-fixing, and fine-tuning. That isn't even close to an Easy Button.

What would make it easier is an end to kitchen-sink mods, now that Light plugins make them non-essential unless the disparate features are interwined and interdependent. It's much easier to make executive decisions and/or troubleshoot later if a mod does just one specific thing very well rather than a bunch of things.

Edited by VulcanTourist

Ummm... what you describe is "hard" for the majority of players. For a mod list of 400+ plugins (and more that have none), that is a job that will stretch on for months of problem-solving, bug-fixing, and fine-tuning. That isn't even close to an Easy Button.

What would make it easier is an end to kitchen-sink mods, now that Light plugins make them non-essential unless the disparate features are interwined and interdependent. It's much easier to make executive decisions and/or troubleshoot later if a mod does just one specific thing very well rather than a bunch of things.

Ok, if you are NEW to modding you should NOT be trying to install 400+ mods. I am NOT new to modding and my list is only about 120 of the most popular and most endorsed mods and is perfectly stable. Seriously, think about what you just said.

Ok, if you are NEW to modding you should NOT be trying to install 400+ mods. I am NOT new to modding and my list is only about 120 of the most popular and most endorsed mods and is perfectly stable. Seriously, think about what you just said.

^^^^^ THIS

I didn't break the 100 mod count for several months after starting to play Skyrim. I only broke the magic "255" number earlier this year, after playing for well over a year.

one more dont':

Don't' install multiple mods at once (at least as a newb). You're asking begging for problems.

Well to be fair you can install multiple mesh/texture replacers and one of each type of overhaul with little to no issues.

I use and cant live without this base install:

SKSE

SkyUI

Atlas Map Markers

Colorful Map Markers

Skill Uncapper

CBBE Female Body Replacer

Race Menu

Better Males Remesh

SMIM

Highpoly Project

Enhanced Blood Textures

Skyrim 2020 by Pfusher Paralax HD Texture Replacer

Skyrim Flora Overhaul

Skybirds

Alternate Start Live Another Life

Breezehome

Nether's Follower Framework

Convienent Horses

Immersive Creatures

Archery Gameplay Overhaul

Summermist Enchantment Overhaul

Apocalypse Magic Overhaul

Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul

Ordinator Perks Overhaul

Ars Metallica

True Storms Weather Overhaul

Diverse Dragons Collection

Deadly Dragons

GIST Soul Trap

Hearthfire Extended

Jewelry Limiter

Carry Weight Modifier

Rich Merchants

Fast Travel Multiplier

Windstad Mine

Blackthorne: Buildable Town

JK'S Skyrim

All of these can be installed with zero conflict(aside from allowing certain texture and mesh replacers to overwrite others but as long as you read the docs you will know what to do. On top of that i have many new lands expansions but that is where it starts to get hairy with many patches required to make things play nice with each other. Also BASH, none of this is possible without Wrye Bash. Get it. Learn it. Love it. Live it.