Help with Activators in Creation Kit

SephiraSkye

I was wondering if anyone can explain the process of making a static object become "clickable". I know how to do this with things like bookshelves and chests and the like by using activator objects specifically designed for them, but I am trying to make a random object (mage statue) to be able to be activated. I have the script and if I attach it to an activator object like "weTempActivator" it works great, but I cant seem to figure out how to do this with static objects. I assume there is some default activator that I would put around the object, but I have tried a bunch and cant seem to find any that do what I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

It should be possible to make an activator out of any static object . All it needs: The model must have collision and the new object must have a name.

Edit a simple activator like BurialCairn01. Give it a new ID, give it a name (necessary for activation) and in the model checkbox point to the Mage Statue nif. At last add your script.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. Same problem here. When I assign my script to a copy of an existing activator (like a Dwemer valve or a lever) my teleport script works great and activating it teleports my character to the XmarkerHeading I set up as the target. However, I want to use a ship's wheel as my activator. So I opened the ShipWheelBreak01 static item & ctrl+c the model, then created a brand new activator, named it, edited the model so it looks like ship's wheel, then attached my script and assigned my properties. But when I walk up to the ship steering wheel, there is no prompt to do anything.

The activator's "Collision geometry" and "on local map" boxes are ticked. "Activate text override" says "Use". I have to be missing something here, because in game my ship's wheel just behaves like a static object. What have I missed?

• 8 months later...

I'd also like to know if anyone has got this working. I'm able to follow this tutoral, and as long as I use 'WETempActivator it works with no trouble.

http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Papyrus_Hello_World

But If I try to use a STATIC item instead, I get no promp/message at all.

I even tried to use the 'WETempActivator', but change the model so it is visualy of what i want, but that didn't work either. *yes, i gave the item a new ID and name, no differnece*

I also tried to act like it was a mannequin, and do all steps to try and get it to work, and since I was able to get a working one already, would work right? No, didn't work at all.

I'd love to know if anyone has any ideas, and when we need to do to get any static item to work like the 'Hello world' tutoral shows.

Edited by Link0Knight

Well, theoretically... if you used a program like TESVEdit to copy the mesh to an activator object it could work.

My work around was easier though. Look for an invisible activator in the CK. I know one exists. Simply put it over-top of the obj you want to appear to be clickable.

~ Hope this helps. Merry xmas.

Other than the above method, you cannot do anything to Statics through scripting. They are essentially like projectiles. Even though you can make them as properties(bad idea), it makes no difference.

It is possible the activator takes on the information of the static, but I donno.

Edited by Terra Nova

Well, theoretically... if you used a program like TESVEdit to copy the mesh to an activator object it could work.

My work around was easier though. Look for an invisible activator in the CK. I know one exists. Simply put it over-top of the obj you want to appear to be clickable.

~ Hope this helps. Merry xmas.

"...copy the mesh to an activator object it could work...."

Would it be possible to give instructions on how to do that? That sounds simple and yet complicated if I don't do it right.

I'm still new at using the Skyrim Creation Kit and I'm hopping this 'TESVEdit' program is similar to use.

Other than the above method, you cannot do anything to Statics through scripting. They are essentially like projectiles. Even though you can make them as properties(bad idea), it makes no difference.

It is possible the activator takes on the information of the static, but I donno.

I've tried a few 'activators' over the static item, but get no prompt when adding the 'Hello World' script to the activator at all.

I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

Sigh...I'm just confused and don't know what to do. The game itself as a lot of these 'hidden activators' (enemys you just killed, shrines, etc) so should be simple to add one, right?

Last thought idea: What if I made the item as if it was like a shrine in the game, you can 'select' it to 'activate' it, right? Should be simple after that to edit what it says and does, right?

Edited by Link0Knight

You might find this helpfull.

OK, using Sjogga post/link (Thank you for pointing that out Sjogga) as a guide I was able to make a workable Dragon claw holder! (I'll make the other 9 later)

*This info on what I'm trying to do might help others that are trying to get a static item into being an activator, I hope*

These are the exact steps I'm doing and I can't get it to work, using 'Hello World' script for testing purposes only, hoping to later, change what it says and tel-aport the user to the cell I'm working on, but stopped since I can't get the 'gateway' to work.

- In the Object Window, navigate to World Objects->Static. In the filter, type in "load*mag".

- Double-click the "LoadScreenBretonMage" At the bottom of the window you'll find a grayed-out area with the topic Model. Mark everything inside the box and hit Ctrl+C. Press Cancel.

- In the Object Window, navigate to World Objects->Static. Right click and select "New".

- In the ID field, type something like "Mysterious Toy Figurine". Press the "Edit"-button next to the Model-field. A new window pops up. Press Edit. You will be prompted to select a model from you computer. Press Ctrl+V and hit OK. The Golden Claw should now be visible in the pop-up window. Hit OK. Hit OK.

- Drag and drop "MysteriousToyFigurine" into the Render Window. Double-click the figurine and change Scale to '0.25', then place it on a table, Move and rotate until it looks nice.

- In the Object Window, navigate to World Objects->Activators. Right click and select "New". In the ID-field, type "AToyActivator". In the name field, type "A Toy". Press OK.

- Double click Mysterious Toy Figurine again. This time the Script section is not grayed out. Click the Add-button. A new window will pop up. At the very top in the list you'll see [new script]. Double click it.

- In the name field, type "HelloWorldScript". Hit OK. You will be taken back to the original window, with "HelloWorldScript" added to the list of scripts.

- Right click the "HelloWorldScript". Select "Edit source". Copy and Paste the following:

Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActionRef)
    Debug.MessageBox("Hello, World!")
 endEvent

- Press save. Close the script edit window.

- Make sure markers are turned on: In the toolbar, navigate to View. Halfway through the list you'll see "Markers". If it has a checked tickbox next to it, markers are on.

- In the Render Window, select the 'MysteriousToyFigurine'. Highlight the main window. In the toolbar, find the "Create Trigger"-button. It looks like a box with a T on it. Click it.

- In the list, select 'AToyActivator'. Press ok.

- A red box should surround you Figurine. Press 2 on your keyboard, as this will disable the Scaling widget. Double click the red box. Under the 3D data tab, make sure Rotation Z is NOT 0. Under the Primitives tab, hit the Player Activation-tick box. In the Linked Ref tab, right click int the white field and select "New". Press the "Select Reference in Render Window" button. Press "M" on your keyboard to hide markers. Double click the MysteriousToyFigurine *. Press OK. Press OK.

And your done, but when I load it in game, I don't get any message or anything at all.

I know I took some steps out for making the claws, but that was adding/removing an item to display, this is only a static item that will not more and stay i place.

Or am I thinking wrong and am doing it wrong?

If someone could help me understand what I might be doing wrong, or just forgot one step, please just tell me, I'm still new at this but am getting the hang of it.

UPDATE: OK, I don't' know how, but since I wrote out the directions on what I did, and did them at the same time, the toy in game has a 'Activate A Toy' when I look at it, does nothing though..so any ideas on what I did right and did wrong? (obviously going to change 'A Toy' to 'Mysterious Toy Figurine'...but as to how I got it to work or how to get to say 'Hello world' when I click it....I'm dumb-struck right now, your thoughts?

Edited by Link0Knight

• 1 month later...