Why is blocking users from accessing a mod even a thing?

Deleted82823653User

Here is an answer to your question. "Because it's my mod and I, and only I, will determine whom I will allow to use it. If you don't like that answer, make your own."

You make screenshots, yeah? It would take a few minutes to mass download all 200+ of them and re-upload them to a file sharing site. Same applies to any mod on the nexus. The only thing you really control is someone's ability to comment on your work, which I already had no issue with. I called it petty because it's the equivalent of blowing raspberries and yelling "nan na nam na naaa naaa" at the person you've blocked

I figured. Decent of you to admit that. :smile: Still, having a gripe is quite cathartic, although sometimes it's better to not hit the 'Post' button.

If you read through some of the other threads about this topic, your view on mod authors blocking users might change. I don't see how it's bizarre or nonsensical even when you take into account the ability for a user to just create a new account. That still imposes a 'cost' on the user, although a relatively minor one, while also providing the mod author with some measure of control over interactions about their content.

I'm glad I'm not a betting man....

I appreciate how understanding you've been. Thanks.

I've been on the internet since the wild west days when you could say virtually whatever you want without consequences, so having abuse thrown at me is something I can handle, plus it's hard to take it seriously when odds are in your favour that it's from a moody teenager.

maybe don't be salty to a mod author or their work, and you won't get banned from the mod?

I wasn't the one giving the abuse. The author was being haughty and condescending to people to who didn't appreciate being tarred with the same brush as racists, so I posted "you're history" to wind him up. I guess it worked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here is an answer to your question. "Because it's my mod and I, and only I, will determine whom I will allow to use it. If you don't like that answer, make your own."

You make screenshots, yeah? It would take a few minutes to mass download all 200+ of them and re-upload them to a file sharing site. Same applies to any mod on the nexus. The only thing you really control is someone's ability to comment on your work, which I already had no issue with. I called it petty because it's the equivalent of blowing raspberries and yelling "nan na nam na naaa naaa" at the person you've blocked

I figured. Decent of you to admit that. :smile: Still, having a gripe is quite cathartic, although sometimes it's better to not hit the 'Post' button.

If you read through some of the other threads about this topic, your view on mod authors blocking users might change. I don't see how it's bizarre or nonsensical even when you take into account the ability for a user to just create a new account. That still imposes a 'cost' on the user, although a relatively minor one, while also providing the mod author with some measure of control over interactions about their content.

I've been on the internet since the wild west days when you could say virtually whatever you want without consequences, so having abuse thrown at me is something I can handle, plus it's hard to take it seriously when odds are in your favour that it's from a moody teenager.

maybe don't be salty to a mod author or their work, and you won't get banned from the mod?

I wasn't the one giving the abuse. The author was being haughty and condescending to people to who didn't appreciate being tarred with the same brush as racists, so I posted "you're history" to wind him up. I guess it worked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So the truth comes out.

At first OP was like everybody else who gets blocked from a mod

"I didn't even do anything, I was just blocked, I think it's stupid", turns out OP taunted the Modder and got his just desserts and decided to make a thread and be salty about it, while posting his intention on breaking (or he's already broken) the TOS publicly.

That "You're history" comment you left for the modder may come back around and bite you in the ass.

You should probably be reported so the Mods can check if you have more than one account, because you made it sound like you've already done that.

Guest deleted34304850

Maybe you can't see it, but your attitude throughout this entire thread demonstrates why you got banned by the mod author. I'd suggest you go away and have a bit of a think about how you interact, and I'd also go and re-read the TOS you agreed to when you signed up. It does actually mean something.

Guest deleted34304850

So the truth comes out.

At first OP was like everybody else who gets blocked from a mod

"I didn't even do anything, I was just blocked, I think it's stupid", turns out OP taunted the Modder and got his just desserts and decided to make a thread and be salty about it, while posting his intention on breaking (or he's already broken) the TOS publicly.

That "You're history" comment you left for the modder may come back around and bite you in the ass.

You should probably be reported so the Mods can check if you have more than one account, because you made it sound like you've already done that.

Not the brightest spark in the fire....

So your argument boils down to a combination of "it is easy to pirate stuff” and “you can’t really control what happens so you shouldn’t try to control it at all.” I don’t think I really need to explain in detail why these arguments, while containing kernels of truth, gloss over the fact that simply because something isn’t easy to enforce doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be enforced or advocated for enforcement whenever circumstances warrant. Yes, it is difficult to effectively deter people who want to steal intellectual property but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t try to stop them when possible and to throw the book at the ones who get caught.

The plot thickens! It is almost as if there are at least two sides to this story and we are only hearing from one of them.

all I have to do is make a new account

You could do that, but, if you had read the ToS, you would know that you are not allowed to do that. The staff is rather good at tracking down people who go that route, and usually ban all the related accounts. The Forums Rules and Warnings section is littered with just that sort of thing. : /

An alternative way that does fall within the ToS is to close your current account and then open a new one ... the tools to do that are provided by the site.

True, but given the tone of the OP, I made the assumption that "multiple account abuse" was what was intended. Given what has further been posted, I am still leaning towards that.

Well I guess this confirms it. Mod authors can be as obnoxious and haughty as they want, but anyone who tells them off for doing so gets punished.

I cannot imagine how any of you function in the real world if you think I'm being too aggressive.

If an author is acting in a poor manner towards you or another site member, you're supposed to inform the moderation staff if you think it warrants our attention - not reply back to them, which usually only escalates the issue and can make dealing with the situation more problematic in the long run for all involved.