As Night Began - Now Recruiting!

ub3rman123

It's a simple process. Nobody makes an alteration to the .esm file. Instead it's all done through the .esps that affect the .esm. It'll be just like a mod for Skyrim, but it affects our world instead. When the whole thing is done it'll all be merged together.

As for communication, I'm considering getting a VIP membership on TESAlliance, which will give us basically an entire forum section for the project, so making individual threads for progress will be easy.

The plotline is posted here, although the entire thing is speculative. If anyone has suggestions I'm definitely happy to take them, particularly on the third act.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as compiling .esp or .esm to CK im sure you just need to load it. Not sure I understood the question though lol

But I agree with the blogspot idea that be easier then using the forum

Edit: sorry im posting from my phone didn't see the question was already answered.

Edited by mellophonist

I'm not too familiar with Blogspot, could you explain its features, etc.?

I don't think we'll do the other regions. There are already many projects doing other regions, and I prefer the mod to focus on the quest rather than just being a world. No point in replicating the work others are already doing.

Glad this mod is taking place in High Rock, as its one of the lands of Tamriel I've really, really wanted to see get realizzed.

Just saw your Worldspace and it looks great! Also perused through your plot, seems very solid. Actually when all is said and done the plot itself isn't that important, as most stories broken down follow fairly similar patterns. Its all about characters, execution, pace, and atmosphere.

I'm not too familiar with Blogspot, could you explain its features, etc.?

From what I've garnered, blogspot is simple to use and allows for multiple site masters with different levels of control. For instance, you could give me rights to make posts (like showing pics of an interior), but you as the main site master you could say, control comments or who does or doesn't have access to posting.

I'm fairly sure wordpress has similar features but I couldn't say which one is superior.

Anyways, here's an example of the Beyond Modding team's use of blogspot for their homepage: http://beyondmodding.blogspot.com/

I think it would be the best option as it kind of keep things "clean" using a blog site. We'll avoid getting lost in the sheer deluge of content on the nexus and having to jump from forum to forum trying to pool ideas.

Edited by chacotaco91

I don't think we'll do the other regions. There are already many projects doing other regions, and I prefer the mod to focus on the quest rather than just being a world. No point in replicating the work others are already doing.

I think this is the way to go: a well defined area with high attention to detail and testing. Trying to fill out a a worldspace bigger than say, half the size of Skyrim's would probably lead to some corner cutting and quality loss for a mod team. One of my biggest gripes with Skyrim is it seemed as though Bethesda could have spent around 6 more months just tinkering in the C.K. before the game's release. Things just weren't fleshed out enough, from city interiors (talking about you, empty Thalmor embassy in solitude!) to those little interesting areas that should have dotted the landscape more (abandoned cabins, caved in mine doors, graves, battlefield remains etc etc.)

Elder Scrolls games are all about immersion, which itself is reliant on doing all the little stuff right. If you fail that then all your left is just a mediocre hack and slash game with a lot of walking.

What do we have to work with in term of modder's resources? Probably can't stick a bunch of Nordic ruins around High Rock lol.

There's plenty of other modding resources as far as layout goes. As a dungeon designer myself I know of alot of these. For example there's meshes for dwarven ruins, caves, mines, parallel dimensions (azures star) and many others. In combination with all the clutter items the potential amount of scenarios is endless.

I believe the worldspace I already have created should be of sufficient size. With a (very very) rough test, it's about the size of a single Hold of Skyrim, which will allow us to make it quite detailed. Of course, many areas aren't done yet. Some still need quite a bit of attention to add in details, particularly harvestable plants.

My goal with the cities is to not have pointless cells. After watching progress of a lot of large projects, particularly those recreating a province, I see that a lot get bogged down and abandoned when someone realizes that they have to create 50 generic houses. Instead, we'll focus on developing only houses and buildings players have a need to go through (Guild halls, shops, quest locations, etc.).

Blogspot looks like it could work well. Is it free to use?

GrimyBunyip: Thanks for the offer! I don't have any specific queries now, but I'm sure I'll have something later.

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/6802/hrmapwmarks2.jpg

You may need to zoom in quite a bit, it's intended to use as a reference with this to save on uploading time.

This is a map of the Wayrest area marked with potential dungeon locations. Dungeons that are already completely built (But not populated or navmeshed) are marked with blue circles. Places that have an entrance set up, but aren't associated with an interior or are only partly fleshed out are marked with a red circle and numbered with a description of what could work with them. Areas highlighted in red could likely use a dungeon, but I haven't placed anything there yet.

1. Found at the bottom of a waterfall drain from a lake. No specific theme, but will need an exit that lead to above the lake surface, as the entrance is one-way.

2. The tower of the currently nameless Dunmer stronghold where the Orcs have set their war camp. This will be a final area of the questline to take place in.

3. A grove of pines with a cave in it. Witches, perhaps?

4. A Dwemer ruin, currently called the Spindle Halls. I've fleshed out a generic design for it in the CK, but it needs more completion. Talk to me if you want to work on it and I can tell you the plan.

5. The dam. It might make a decent dungeon going through the dam's inner workings. No particular theme selected, aside from being a snowy semi-ruin. There could be a quest to repair structural faults in the dam caused by its inhabitants.

6. A cavern in a snowy collapsed section of the mountains. It's entered through the lower end and has an exit set up further to the east on a ledge.

7. Bloodrock, Garel's fortress. Again, an important quest location. I'm not sure how large it needs to be, as the current questline doesn't call for the player to enter it.

8. A cavern system near the town of Mereth Fell. According to the plans for the associated side quest, it will be populated by vampires and lead under the inn of Mereth Fell.

9. A tunnel system that connects the lower beach of the south side to the top of the cliffs. More of a convenience thing so players needn't trek all the way around to Fort Omarin to ascend.

10. A shanty town on the edge of Wayrest, erected during the corsair attacks. Now filled with something unfriendly.

11. A canyon-style cavern populated by spiders/something else. Has an exit set up on a ledge to the west some.

12. A Dwemer waystation. May or may not be a full size dungeon, but just a few buildings the size of Markarth's temple.

13. A gold mine in the middle of the desert. Could be used in conjunction with the Draugr/a suitable reskin, or skeletons and other undead.

14. The resting place of the Numidium. A near-endgame area. Likely lots of water themes.

Feel free to select any of these to create until we move further into the questline and work on dungeons associated with the quests.

That aside, I'll likely be able to upload the .esm and associated files later tonight after I've booted some people out of my house.

Edit: Can't get Mediafire to take the file, getting an error:503. Any suggestions for a better host?