⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Screenshot Community Event: The Final Presentation

BigBizkit

I'm not an artist but I am a modder (still feel that I'm an amateur but hey it counts).

I enjoy the screenshot contests that have specific detailed rules on what is and is not permitted.

I feel that a screenshot contest should be based on in-game screenshots and nothing else. No mods, no post-processing via Photoshop/GIMP, no Blender manipulation, none of it. Just the game and your own raw skills as a photographer (and a gamer) to get the shot you want the way you want.

But that's just me. The others on this site have spoken on how they want things; so be it.

If we ever get an actual 'screenshots without the fluff' style of contest for more than just certain very-specific games then I'll be happy to participate. For those who won the gift cards, enjoy em.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #69469927.

DaedalusMachina007 wrote: I'm not an artist but I am a modder (still feel that I'm an amateur but hey it counts).
I enjoy the screenshot contests that have specific detailed rules on what is and is not permitted.

I feel that a screenshot contest should be based on in-game screenshots and nothing else. No mods, no post-processing via Photoshop/GIMP, no Blender manipulation, none of it. Just the game and your own raw skills as a photographer (and a gamer) to get the shot you want the way you want.

But that's just me. The others on this site have spoken on how they want things; so be it.
If we ever get an actual 'screenshots without the fluff' style of contest for more than just certain very-specific games then I'll be happy to participate. For those who won the gift cards, enjoy em.

I highly doubt such changes would happen to the rules, not until the gallery is ran as a popularity contest.

In response to post #69425069. #69429485, #69431661 are all replies on the same post.

V1K1N9 wrote:

I like to see myself as something of a photographer, or well, photography hobbyist? heh..

Unfortunately, I kept looking at this event thingy and seemed to feel very uncomfortable and anxious. I obviously wanted to join in but I have always looked at the images and how they are rated / voted / judged / call it what you will (the very thing that this screenshot / image "event" involves - being judged and winners selected over others), anyway I've always looked at how images are rated and it's mostly boobs n ass that get endorsements and then ego boosts and I dunno.. I just get jaded.

Anyway, back on-topic.. being as self imposed jaded as I seem to be, I instantly felt hesitant to 'enter'? this event thingy. I still think it's great and can be fun and all, but I guess I must need more encouragement hehe I dunno <_<

I think my conflict (oops sorry) lies in the title; "Screenshot".

Therein lies the dilemma. Can you edit the screenshot? If the screenshots are being judged and prizes given out, how does the poor guy who can't afford photoshop or happens to be dyslexic and struggles with tiny words on a screen, possibly compete (yes you are unnavoidably in competition here) with those who have super duper photo shop and all that stuff?

<hides under a table>

Fyrcynn wrote: I've attempted explaining why everything you've listed is wrong before and all I've gotten for response was either a "We don't care" or outright harassment. So I wouldn't expect much if you're looking for answers.
TeofaTsavo wrote:
In response to post #69425069. #69429485 is also a reply to the same post.

V1K1N9 wrote:

I like to see myself as something of a photographer, or well, photography hobbyist? heh..

Unfortunately, I kept looking at this event thingy and seemed to feel very uncomfortable and anxious. I obviously wanted to join in but I have always looked at the images and how they are rated / voted / judged / call it what you will (the very thing that this screenshot / image "event" involves - being judged and winners selected over others), anyway I've always looked at how images are rated and it's mostly boobs n ass that get endorsements and then ego boosts and I dunno.. I just get jaded.

Anyway, back on-topic.. being as self imposed jaded as I seem to be, I instantly felt hesitant to 'enter'? this event thingy. I still think it's great and can be fun and all, but I guess I must need more encouragement hehe I dunno <_<

Therein lies the dilemma. Can you edit the screenshot? If the screenshots are being judged and prizes given out, how does the poor guy who can't afford photoshop or happens to be dyslexic and struggles with tiny words on a screen, possibly compete (yes you are unnavoidably in competition here) with those who have super duper photo shop and all that stuff?

<hides under a table>

Fyrcynn wrote: I've attempted explaining why everything you've listed is wrong before and all I've gotten for response was either a "We don't care" or outright harassment. So I wouldn't expect much if you're looking for answers.

You can be assured a lot feel as you do, OP.
Producing copypasta clickbait for like harvesting is a common theme in most digital medium online galleries. The render "communities" are no better, but they do put on tiered contests with much tighter rules for new users generally.

Apparently the consensus here was "carte blanche". While a person can create very nice screens using simple console commands and a basic knowledge of composition and light, unfortunately the usual new user reaction to an established community is a perception that they "need" every bell and whistle. (a common problem in all competition). There is no encouragement or venue here for a new user to establish basic skills with the basic tools.

A good non pretentious basic guide to screenshots.

Also do a search for GIMP, a free imaging program that is more than you need to edit screenshots.

This trend where people end statements with a question mark needs to end. Also the female form is arguably one of the most beautiful forms in all of creation, as any amazing scenery and deserves it's due in any screen shot competition. Edited by LethalityOne

In response to post #69425069. #69429485, #69431661, #69478412 are all replies on the same post.

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

TeofaTsavo wrote:

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

Producing copypasta clickbait for like harvesting is a common theme in most digital medium online galleries. The render "communities" are no better, but they do put on tiered contests with much tighter rules for new users generally.

Apparently the consensus here was "carte blanche". While a person can create very nice screens using simple console commands and a basic knowledge of composition and light, unfortunately the usual new user reaction to an established community is a perception that they "need" every bell and whistle. (a common problem in all competition). There is no encouragement or venue here for a new user to establish basic skills with the basic tools.

Also do a search for GIMP, a free imaging program that is more than you need to edit screenshots.

LethalityOne wrote: This trend where people end statements with a question mark needs to end. Also the female form is arguably one of the most beautiful forms in all of creation, as any amazing scenery and deserves it's due in any screen shot competition.

First, don't do it for the sake of winning.
Second, how you want to express your creativity or vision is up to you. Don't got tie down by invisible rules or naysayers.
Third, look around Flickr Skyrim groups for ideas of how other people do their shots. Obviously NSFW warning, not all contents are high quality. Nexus gallery? Eh.... if they can do better job of filtering things & make a more attractive UI...
Generally I don't wanna call what I do "screenshots", I just call it "shots" - not only it's more appropriate, also it's easier to write (lel).
//--
As far as software goes, no you don't need photoshop. Microsoft have all you needs - Paint3D & Image Composite Editor (ICE - for panorama purpose). And there are plenty of free apps around on Windows Store. You really won't need anything more than cropping and minor brightness contrast adjustments. We're not painting or drawing things here, but post-processing.
//--
Remember, do this for fun.
I can clearly see the community is steering the whole idea into a completely wrong turn. Is winning really that important? Edited by Guest

In response to post #69425069. #69429485, #69431661, #69478412, #69482452 are all replies on the same post.

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

TeofaTsavo wrote:

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

LethalityOne wrote: This trend where people end statements with a question mark needs to end. Also the female form is arguably one of the most beautiful forms in all of creation, as any amazing scenery and deserves it's due in any screen shot competition.
xonedl wrote: First, don't do it for the sake of winning.
Second, how you want to express your creativity or vision is up to you. Don't got tie down by invisible rules or naysayers.
Third, look around Flickr Skyrim groups for ideas of how other people do their shots. Obviously NSFW warning, not all contents are high quality. Nexus gallery? Eh.... if they can do better job of filtering things & make a more attractive UI...
Generally I don't wanna call what I do "screenshots", I just call it "shots" - not only it's more appropriate, also it's easier to write (lel).
//--
As far as software goes, no you don't need photoshop. Microsoft have all you needs - Paint3D & Image Composite Editor (ICE - for panorama purpose). And there are plenty of free apps around on Windows Store. You really won't need anything more than cropping and minor brightness contrast adjustments. We're not painting or drawing things here, but post-processing.
//--
I can clearly see the community is steering the whole idea into a completely wrong turn. Is winning really that important?

Well said, Xone.

V1K1N9: Don't sweat the rating game if that's not your bag. Plenty of folks around here don't give a fig about endorsement counts. As far as the contest elements of this event, they were conceived more as incentive to newcomers (some folks really enjoy the competitive element, and some folks will be more motivated to participate in a community event if there's a chance of winning a prize) than as any sort of holy writ on our vaunted opinion of what makes a worthwhile screen-shot. If you're curious about why we chose the images we did, check out the commentary behind the spoiler tags. If you're looking for a no-stakes community theme, might I direct your attention to my and Excellentium's Community Theme events in Fallout and Skyrim, respectively? All are welcome, no post-processing necessary (and no post-processors hassled either).

In response to post #69397777. #69409261 is also a reply to the same post.

Xorp wrote: Although I was (and still am) quite sceptical to turn the amazing events into a "contest" in which prizes can be won and contributions judged, I must say reading the reasoning between the choices is in my opinion a great idea.

Thanks everyone for contributing and sharing so many wonderful works.
chimichanga78 wrote: An appreciated nice and calm comment :)
Upvoted ;)

Thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone actually looked behind the spoiler tags...

In response to post #69425069. #69429485, #69431661, #69478412, #69482452, #69488052 are all replies on the same post.

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

TeofaTsavo wrote:

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

//--
//--
I can clearly see the community is steering the whole idea into a completely wrong turn. Is winning really that important?
napoleonofthestump wrote: Well said, Xone.

V1K1N9: Don't sweat the rating game if that's not your bag. Plenty of folks around here don't give a fig about endorsement counts. As far as the contest elements of this event, they were conceived more as incentive to newcomers (some folks really enjoy the competitive element, and some folks will be more motivated to participate in a community event if there's a chance of winning a prize) than as any sort of holy writ on our vaunted opinion of what makes a worthwhile screen-shot. If you're curious about why we chose the images we did, check out the commentary behind the spoiler tags. If you're looking for a no-stakes community theme, might I direct your attention to my and Excellentium's Community Theme events in Fallout and Skyrim, respectively? All are welcome, no post-processing necessary (and no post-processors hassled either).

To use a photography term, these are not 'screenshots'. They are 'compositions'.
They are composed, edited, tweaked, altered, and otherwise significantly and materially different from the originals. Each and every single 'composition' here falls under that category.

A 'screenshot' is just that. You hit Print Screen (or equivalent) on the keyboard and save a copy to your local hard drive then upload that picture. No post-processing or other alterations. That's what a screenshot is.

I guess I'll repeat myself: When Nexus wants to do actual screenshot contests instead of 'composition' contests then I'll gladly participate. It will open up such activities to a much wider audience when the barrier to entry is far lower.

EDIT: Using in-game photo tools like the ones in BDO and other games is ok. I'm referring to external/3rd party tools that people may not have the training/time/inclination to use. People seem to forget that Photoshop/GIMP/Blender require a specific skill set. Edited by DaedalusMachina007

In response to post #69425069. #69429485, #69431661, #69478412, #69482452, #69488052, #69517432 are all replies on the same post.

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

TeofaTsavo wrote:

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

//--
//--

DaedalusMachina007 wrote: To use a photography term, these are not 'screenshots'. They are 'compositions'.
They are composed, edited, tweaked, altered, and otherwise significantly and materially different from the originals. Each and every single 'composition' here falls under that category.

A 'screenshot' is just that. You hit Print Screen (or equivalent) on the keyboard and save a copy to your local hard drive then upload that picture. No post-processing or other alterations. That's what a screenshot is.

I guess I'll repeat myself: When Nexus wants to do actual screenshot contests instead of 'composition' contests then I'll gladly participate. It will open up such activities to a much wider audience when the barrier to entry is far lower.

EDIT: Using in-game photo tools like the ones in BDO and other games is ok. I'm referring to external/3rd party tools that people may not have the training/time/inclination to use. People seem to forget that Photoshop/GIMP/Blender require a specific skill set.

THANK YOU! FINALLY!

To use a photography term, these are not 'screenshots'. They are 'compositions'.

EDIT: Using in-game photo tools like the ones in BDO and other games is ok. I'm referring to external/3rd party tools that people may not have the training/time/inclination to use. People seem to forget that Photoshop/GIMP/Blender require a specific skill set.

The fatal flaw in your statement (and one that those who've been vocal enough to complain about it seem to not understand, or choose to conveniently ignore) is that most of the final selection (barring a few, who have been open and honest about it & never attempted to decieve anyone) in the event are not post-edited to any significant degree. They are actual in-game screenshots. It feels somewhat disingenuous to cry fowl & accuse some of having an unfair advantage; by doing so, you belittle & ridicule the skills that these individuals have built up over numerous years & potentially thousands of hours of honing their craft.

This event was meant to be a celebration of the skills that many here at Nexus possess (and have developed over years of practice) when it comes to screenarchery, showing just how amazing you can make these games look if you have the relevant skills/experience. At the same time, this does not destroy any possibility for relative newcomers to showcase an amazing screenshot that they took.

The event was open to all, regardless of ability or experience, and therefore was clearly as inclusive as it could possibly be- if anyone felt like they were unable to enter (because in their own opinion/belief, they lacked the skills) that belief stemmed from them, not the organizers, nor the 'rules' or anything else. In this hypothetical scenario that some complaining have posited, it should be obvious that the individual is responsible for their decision whether to participate or not.

With that said, it bears remembering that one of the three 'selections' was awarded to a randomly selected entry from all the entries recieved.

Note that at no point did the organizers refer to this as some kind of 'competion', yet the belief that it was seems to have stemmed from the fact that 'prizes' were awarded - even though it should be obvious that a Nexus-hosted event of this nature would include awards of some sort, as an added incentive to encourage participation from those users who likely have never contributed to the (non-Nexus-affiliated) Community Themes. Never saw this kind of outcry with the Fallout Community Theme that DV organised, and haven't heard Excellentium mention anything like this happening for the Skyrim Community Theme either, nor any arguments stemming from accusations of favouritism. To me, many of the grievances aired appear to be nothing but sour grapes, as it's obvious that the the organisers took as much care and attention to create an event that appealed to as many users as possible, whilst remaining fair, impartial (and most importantly) open to all.

Post editing in and of itself, is not some kind of unholy cardinal sin, it's merely another tool available; and one that is relatively easy to spot when it results in images that are so heavily edited they barely resemble anything that is possible in-game. Would a tool such as the FreeFlyCam plug-in by KingEric be considered post-processing? What about ENB/Reshade presets? LUTs and image modifiers? The tools are non-vanilla. If you want to make a valid point, define your terms. Where exactly is the cut-off point? Do weather/climate mods count, seeing as they can radically change the look of the game?

I've seen this same tired argument pop up over the years in numerous creative endeavors (outside of screenarching/modding) and it results in nothing productive, not when the internal logic used by those making the accusations hinges on inclusivity by excluding certain things that are percieved to give an unfair advantage. How exactly does that work?

It is saddening to see this event being dragged down & marred by irrelevant discussions that add nothing, except as attempts to tear down others who create things that you cannot due to your own inexperience/lack of knowledge. I cannot fathom any other reason for certain individuals to continue to cast shade in the comments here.

In response to post #69425069. #69429485, #69431661, #69478412, #69482452, #69488052, #69517432, #69519962 are all replies on the same post.

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

TeofaTsavo wrote:

V1K1N9 wrote:

<hides under a table>

//--
//--

DaedalusMachina007 wrote: To use a photography term, these are not 'screenshots'. They are 'compositions'.

Fyrcynn wrote: THANK YOU! FINALLY!

Agreed Daedalus.
At what point after a player has added complete location sets, clothing from other games etc etc does an image no longer even remotely resemble a "screenshot"

We already have images that do not contain a single identifiable Skyrim element.