Difference between (un)install and (de)activate a mod?

hucker75

i'm not worried about anything but you should be worried about the fact that you may face instabilities in future if you do not know anything about one of the major shortcomings of nmm and the reason why it was cancelled.

if you have no problem with mod deinstallation with nmm and the according problems so far due to missing separation of mods you are in luck - nothing else. nmm is incapable to automatically fully and safely reconstruct a setup if you deinstall a compex mod and more than one mod is already installed. this shortcoming should be common knowledge and it is a problem of all mod managers not capable to handle and track each mod separately. it is your problem if you do not know (or if it is too late) about such things but it is the reason why the mo/mo2 or vortex aproach is the one you should use to be sure that you can uninstall a mod without hidden gliches due to an unreliable mod deinstallation routine. that unfixable problem in nmm was one of the reasons that nmm was dropped and tannin, the mo author, who established the virtual file system to separate mod files from game files, was hired to develop vortex. so i wish you a happy and lucky use of nmm and happy reconstruction in case a mod fails in a complex mod setup with nmm but you should be aware of the shortcomings of nmm mod manager, especially if you plan to install more than just a handfull of mods. you can ignore these facts but this does not mean that this solves any of your possible problems the more mods you will install.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes ignorance is bliss.

i agree - until the nightmare begins and the last option is a reinstallation from scratch without a chance to identify the buggy mod due to mod manager generated additional bugs :wink: happy fiddling with nmm & co ...

i'm not worried about anything but you should be worried about the fact that you may face instabilities in future if you do not know anything about one of the major shortcomings of nmm and the reason why it was cancelled.

Unofficial is not equal to cancelled. I've installed over 150 mods with it, and removed about a third of them, no problems.

Guest deleted34304850

just because you dont see problems doesnt mean they're there. anyway good luck with your method. remember this thread when your game falls to pieces.

just because you dont see problems doesnt mean they're there. anyway good luck with your method. remember this thread when your game falls to pieces.

I'm not going to learn a new program just because others have had problems. NMM is pretty popular and is still being updated.

I'll change to something else if and when I encounter a problem. And most likely wouldn't go for something by the same manufacturer!

Guest deleted34304850

you don't need to learn anything mate - you've proven that.

you carry on - and i hope you never get a destroyed game.

Guest deleted34304850

i've made no such claims mate.

what does break games - empirically - is removing mods from a live play through. but you've not experienced this, so your game is very much the outlier in 20 years of bethesda games.

hope this helps.