Difference between (un)install and (de)activate a mod?

hucker75

i've made no such claims mate.

what does break games - empirically - is removing mods from a live play through. but you've not experienced this, so your game is very much the outlier in 20 years of bethesda games.

hope this helps.

You said "remember this thread when your game falls to pieces" which is very much claiming it's likely to break it.

Removing mods does not break the game, adding them does. NMM is perfectly capable of uninstalling a mod. Just because you messed it up, don't assume I will.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted34304850

yes i know what i wrote - the question appears to be did you read it?

what i am indicating there is the fact that you claim to have removed mods from your game with no impact.

as i said - your game appears to be the outlier because bethesda dont make their games in a way that allows this without the game itself breaking. they never have.

i made no mention of nmm, or any other mod manager in my text. that appears to be something you've imagined.

i'm not assuming you've messed up. i'm just saying that based on years of hard evidence, your game appears to be the outlier. i personally find that fascinating. imagine one game out of millions that remains unaffected by the removal of mods. that's some achievement. well done you.

yes i know what i wrote - the question appears to be did you read it?

what i am indicating there is the fact that you claim to have removed mods from your game with no impact.

as i said - your game appears to be the outlier because bethesda dont make their games in a way that allows this without the game itself breaking. they never have.

i made no mention of nmm, or any other mod manager in my text. that appears to be something you've imagined.

i'm not assuming you've messed up. i'm just saying that based on years of hard evidence, your game appears to be the outlier. i personally find that fascinating. imagine one game out of millions that remains unaffected by the removal of mods. that's some achievement. well done you.

There's plenty of folk removing mods just fine, using NMM, have a google. Plenty of folk discussing how to do it to make a clean save before installing a new version of a mod.

I deleted two mods that were messing up the textures in Nuka World. I disabled bunches of mods until I found the right ones, then uninstalled those two. No crashes, just fixed textures.

I also recently had a massive clean up of mods, as I got up to 160. I just picked all the ones I didn't use and got rid of them, then reinstalled one I removed by mistake because it has a special gun I use. Again, no stability problems.

Guest deleted34304850

you've even got a clean save - that's staggering. until i read your post, the evidence based on how the bethesda games work with mods being removed, showed that this was a complete fallacy. well done you on making it a hard fact.

you've even got a clean save - that's staggering. until i read your post, the evidence based on how the bethesda games work with mods being removed, showed that this was a complete fallacy. well done you on making it a hard fact.

You're not even making sense any more. I know my game works, I know millions use NMM without a problem. Your information is in the minority.

Guest deleted34304850

i'm just commenting on what you're posting. if it's not making sense, stop replying and read what i'm writing.

i'm basically telling you that despite overwhelming evidence based on 20 years of bethesda games, and how removing mods screws them up, your game seems to be the absolute outlier.

70% of folks downloading with a manager are using Vortex now. :) (from a conversation in the mod authors forum.) NMM still works as intended, but yeah, removing mods mid-playthru is NOT without potential problems. A lot depends on just what the mod does, and how it does it. If it's script heavy, simply uninstalling the mod really isn't a good idea, unless you plan a starting a NEW game. Too much stuff gets left in the save. Adding mods mid playthru can be hazardous as well, but, not quite as much as removing them. Doing the mod shuffle when you plan on starting a new game, on the other hand, works just fine.

i'm curious while my friends here on nexus still using nmm refuse to test mods due to their experience with nmm because they fear they damage their complex setups. as a mo user i never had this problems or thoughts because mods and games are physically separated. my 2014 mo1 oblivion setup with over 400 mods still runs without any flaw and if i have to fiddle with it i'm always able to activate or deactivate mods as long as i want without any mod manager related problems or the fear do destabilize my setup. but i must admit i did not updated it to mo2 because it still runs stable with all options incluing testing mods and configurations and without the fear to risk my setup due to the mod manager i use.

if all the nmm problems are solved why do nmm user tell me in 2021 they do not want to test with their huge nmm setups due to risk of destabilizing it? is their claim just lazyness or lack of knowledge of their modding tool ? can some of the nmm users explain these opposite opinions and lack of trust in their own tool and can anyone tell me why tannin was hired to develop vortex and nexusmods stopped the nmm support?

i agree that official support does not mean anything because if it would mo/mo2 would be already dead - but somehow it still isn't even if it was never officially supported and it seems at least as stable as it was already in 2015. can anyone really say that from nmm ? the nmm users i know do not plan their next huge setup with nmm. they still use it and avoid to touch or fiddle with it just to aviod any risk to lose their unique config. just tell me why ?

i'm curious while my friends here on nexus still using nmm refuse to test mods due to their experience with nmm because they fear they damage their complex setups. as a mo user i never had this problems or thoughts because mods and games are physically separated. my 2014 mo1 oblivion setup with over 400 mods still runs without any flaw and if i have to fiddle with it i'm always able to activate or deactivate mods as long as i want without any mod manager related problems or the fear do destabilize my setup. but i must admit i did not updated it to mo2 because it still runs stable with all options incluing testing mods and configurations and without the fear to risk my setup due to the mod manager i use.

if all the nmm problems are solved why do nmm user tell me in 2021 they do not want to test with their huge nmm setups due to risk of destabilizing it? is their claim just lazyness or lack of knowledge of their modding tool ? can some of the nmm users explain these opposite opinions and lack of trust in their own tool and can anyone tell me why tannin was hired to develop vortex and nexusmods stopped the nmm support?

i agree that official support does not mean anything because if it would mo/mo2 would be already dead - but somehow it still isn't even if it was never officially supported and it seems at least as stable as it was already in 2015. can anyone really say that from nmm ? the nmm users i know do not plan their next huge setup with nmm. they still use it and avoid to touch or fiddle with it just to aviod any risk to lose their unique config. just tell me why ?

Folks with huge, complex setups, being reluctant to dink with it isn't NMM specific. I have zero issues testing mods using NMM. I am just careful to make sure that I save before adding the mod in question, and revert back to a pre-that mod save after I remove it. Zero issues. The whole 'NMM scary' thing likely relates back to older versions, that actually installed the mods to the Data folder. Hasn't done that since some version in the early 60's.

In the end, there is no "Best" mod manager. They all do the job, and they all do it in pretty much the same way. Some have more features, bells, and whistles, but those are the only real differences. Use what you are comfortable with, and let others do the same.

absolutely agree. every one who feels fine with nmm should use it till the end of his days. but you should better know about the limitations before you decide which mod manager you use. if you know that you don't want to compare mods or different mod combinations you can omit my following example but the question is why do you do or like modding at all and why do you use a mod manager ?

realizing the mess within in a grown 500 mod scenario is definitely too late. nobody says there is a best mod manager and if you give me a valid reason to use nmm i would try it. but i only know reasons which are a no go for me to use nmm because it misses basic features to handle mods in complex scenarios without getting headache.

one example:

is it wrong that once you installed a texture mod you have to decide at this point to override another mod’s files, or not ? and isn't it still the only time Nexus Mod Manager allows you to make that decision ? and if you like to reverse it, you will have to reinstall the two (or more) mods and choose the load order differently by a new install of all mods involved - right ?

if that is still true it would be a nightmare at least for me because i have this situation with multipe mods in a 500 mods setup with almost all new mods i like to try.

with mo i can check the combinations and load orders i like without a reinstallltion of any mods and there is no fixed load order in case i don't like the new mod and result.

and how about if i like to test with many different load orders without extensively reinstalling involved mods? i would say: impossible or at least a nightmare reinstallation sceanrio with nmm with heavy impact on your hard drives life time if you like big texture mods. are you still feeling fine trying mods with nmm ?

if all this limitation is still true for nmm (and i guess it is) this one point is reason enough to be the no go for nmm because it would prevent me to test my optimal setup in different combinations without permanent reinstallation of all overwritten texture mods while stressing my hard drive. i guess this is the reason my nmm friends avoid to test different load order scenarios - which is a breeze and not a problem at all with mo just by enabling or disabling the appropriate mod markers,

if you have more than a handfull texture mods which potentially can overwrite each other partly (e.g. landscape mods) how do you test the best setup/load order with this severe nmm limitation and without heavyly stressing or destroying your hard drive in long term?

but as you say - everyone should use what he is comfortable with and if you play vanilla you do not need a mod manager at all :wink: