Announcing Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil

1shoedpunk

Just listened to the first couple of audio tracks...

Although I never want to criticise others work, especially since I haven't properly ventured into composing some Skyrim-type music (hopefully my next project) I have one thought...

The violins sample used perhaps could do with variation as it seems to over-rely on expressivo strings with a heavy accent at the start - using either more legato or DXF (dynamic cross-fade) sample sets would make it sound more authentic and ironically more expressive.

Other than that, great work, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thank you for your feedback.

Although it's Skyrim related, it was never our objective creating a faithful musical extension of it. Instead, we wanted to deliver another emotions into it, therefore the heavy accents on the strings: this is an empire falling into pieces.

You can also imagine that, after more than 2 hours of music added, some issues and details will start to become really secondary. Perhaps we'll have time for another revision.

I tried also the DXF samples from the library. They sounded a bit linear, too much "keyboard string pad", if you know what I mean, even with expression triggered. So I decided to use instead the KS version.

If you wish, there's space for more composers on other provinces too. Please, go check it out.

Edited by guinolas

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh we are definitely taking a measured approach during development. Though, as far as our current plans go, we do not plan on releasing the mod in chapters, mainly because it is all on the same heightmap and that could get problematic. We will likely have an open beta when the cities are ready, as well as closed betas prior to that.

This is news to me. Has it been discussed anywhere on the forums? If not, I really urge you to reconsider.

Oh we are definitely taking a measured approach during development. Though, as far as our current plans go, we do not plan on releasing the mod in chapters, mainly because it is all on the same heightmap and that could get problematic. We will likely have an open beta when the cities are ready, as well as closed betas prior to that.

This is news to me. Has it been discussed anywhere on the forums? If not, I really urge you to reconsider.

We have discussed release procedures in shared development. It was discussed in the context of the previous All-Tamriel Heightmap but it applies to the new ones, too. Everything is subject to change, of course, but that is the current plan.

Like a previous poster said, I would upload each city as you completed them. First introduce Bruma in an initial release, then Choroll etc. etc. Finally end with Leyawiin. Or whatever the furthest south city is. Either Leyawiin or Bravil. Make sure make sure, you incorporate the Arena with the release of the Imperial City. Even if you have to copy it straight from Oblivion please add it.

Like a previous poster said, I would upload each city as you completed them. First introduce Bruma in an initial release, then Choroll etc. etc. Finally end with Leyawiin. Or whatever the furthest south city is. Either Leyawiin or Bravil. Make sure make sure, you incorporate the Arena with the release of the Imperial City. Even if you have to copy it straight from Oblivion please add it.

This appears to be a confusing topic the current plan is to work on each city one at a time, public releases however are not fully decided, they may be released at regular intervals with small additions or the my be large one further apart. We would love to get things to you as soon as we can however if smaller releases interferer with development then we won't be releasing them as often.

The one thing that I can say with absolute certainty is that we will work to the best of our abilities to give you the best mod we can.

Edited by deamonata

This appears to be a confusing topic the current plan is to work on each city one at a time, public releases however are not fully decided, they my be released at regular intervals with small additions or the my be large one further apart. We would love to get things to you as soon as we can however if smaller releases interferer with development then we won't be releasing them as often.

The one thing that I can say with absolute certainty is that we will work to the best of our abilities to give you the best mod we can.

This.

Are you planning on natively including open cities in this mod? I don't have a very good computer for gaming, but would still love to play this. I would expect that you'll be getting a lot of pressure from the hardcore gamers to not include loading screens, and it might be easier, but is there a chance that this will use the same city format as skyrim for performance users?

Are you planning on natively including open cities in this mod? I don't have a very good computer for gaming, but would still love to play this. I would expect that you'll be getting a lot of pressure from the hardcore gamers to not include loading screens, and it might be easier, but is there a chance that this will use the same city format as skyrim for performance users?

Unless plans have changed (I haven't been on much the last few weeks due to exams and then no internet) our intention is to natively include open cities as standard, this is based on discussions with Arthmoor,(the guy who worked on the open cities mods) where it was decided that open cities doesn't have a huge impact on performance and most computers these days can cope, the lack of open cities in the vanilla game is apparently due to issues caused by the limited capabilities of the current generation of consoles

Edited by deamonata

My performance suffers under open cities, but that's because my computer predates even the previous console generation. It'll be no problem by the current standards, let alone by the time the first release goes out...

Besides, closing stuff off makes development more complicated.

The other thing that people may not realize is that this project is not being completed on its own. It's part of the Beyond Skyrim collaboration effort, which includes several of the other provinces from Tamriel. It would include all provinces if we can get the people to work on them. :)

So the mod releases need to be coordinated with the other teams because there are a lot of shared assets.