Publish mod as "work-in-progress" or wait until it is done? Publish it at all?

Good evening everybody!

For the last few months I have been working on a big custom worldspace mod. (not "big" in physical size, it is about the size of the commonwealth worldspace)

It will have a custom "main questline", factions, side quests, "random encounters", lots of lore, ...

Basically FO4 but not FO4 :laugh:

Originally I never intended to publish it, since it is just a personal project that keeps me sane ...

But I am thinking about maybe publishing it, because maybe some people might find it interesting, entertaining, useful, whatever ...

Now the big questions:

Should I even publish it at all?

I use lots of meshes and textures from all over the internet, copyright would be a big problem.

So if I would publish the mod, I would have to make some meshes and textures myself to replace those.

Possible, but it would take a lot of additional time without any real benefit for me and the end result would look worse, because I am not good at texturing and UV mapping ...

But that would also mean I would have to maintain / develop two versions: One for my personal use and a "copyright friendly version" for the general public.

No, I am not worried about "negative feedback".

Should I publish it as a "work in progress" with regular updates or should I upload it once it is completley done and playable?

"It is not about what something is, it is about what it becomes." and all of that, right?

What kind of third-party meshes, and even more so textures? I have no idea what copyright problems might arise. On the nexus, they systematically lay out meshes of clothes and weapons torn from other games. All the more, no one cares about textures. The Nexus only pays attention to situations when the mod authors themselves prohibit the third-party use of their resources. So if you do not have meshes and textures of other authors who are against their use - no one will care about this.Although, if on your map the monument to Floyd will stand next to the monument to Columbus, it will definitely be removed. Ahaha. )

What kind of third-party meshes, and even more so textures? I have no idea what copyright problems might arise. On the nexus, they systematically lay out meshes of clothes and weapons torn from other games. All the more, no one cares about textures. The Nexus only pays attention to situations when the mod authors themselves prohibit the third-party use of their resources.

(Almost) no assets from "other modders".

Mostly 3d meshes from a website called "3D warehouse".

(Things like furniture, props, ...)

Although, if on your map the monument to Floyd will stand next to the monument to Columbus, it will definitely be removed. Ahaha. )

What?

Who?

I mean I know who Columbus is, but I have no idea who that other guy is ...

I would recommend publishing the WIP, especially if you want feedback to influence its design. Personally, I am curious as to your progress having seen many posts from you on this and that.

Oh no, expectations ... :ohmy:

What kind of third-party meshes, and even more so textures? I have no idea what copyright problems might arise. On the nexus, they systematically lay out meshes of clothes and weapons torn from other games. All the more, no one cares about textures. The Nexus only pays attention to situations when the mod authors themselves prohibit the third-party use of their resources.

(Almost) no assets from "other modders".

Mostly 3d meshes from a website called "3D warehouse".

(Things like furniture, props, ...)

Â

Â

Although, if on your map the monument to Floyd will stand next to the monument to Columbus, it will definitely be removed. Ahaha. )

Â

What?

Who?

I mean I know who Columbus is, but I have no idea who that other guy is ...

Â

Â

I would recommend publishing the WIP, especially if you want feedback to influence its design. Personally, I am curious as to your progress having seen many posts from you on this and that.

Oh no, expectations ... :ohmy:

If itâs furniture, itâs definitely not interesting to anyone. They delete something and consider only when a complaint comes from other modmakers. It is also removed if there is a hidden political context. The rest does not interest them.Just publish as is, or whatever suits you best.

Big new worldspace? I want it, with or without the copyright textures. Give me secret download link. I test for u, u get nothing in return. deel?

Â

EDIT: kidding, but the nexus loves new worldspaces. also that thing about political context getting removed is bunk, tell that to fusion city and obscurum lol

by politics I meant blm and covid 19. Many mods were removed that made fun of blm and covid 19.

Big new worldspace? I want it, with or without the copyright textures. Give me secret download link. I test for u, u get nothing in return. deel?

Â

EDIT: kidding, but the nexus loves new worldspaces. also that thing about political context getting removed is bunk, tell that to fusion city and obscurum lol

by politics I meant blm and covid 19. Many mods were removed that made fun of blm and covid 19.

Ah, ok!

No those topics are not referred to in any of the things that I am working on ...

(We already have enough "real life stuff" in our "real lifes", right?)

Just the regular "geopolitical" and "evil corporation" stuff that you might expect from FO ...

Only publish it when you are ready and everything is in order. (Meaning that the basics are there)

Otherwise the feedback is for nothing anyway.

Also feedback is iffy anyway.

Trust feedback from people that you respect and have knowlege about what you are doing, but be wary about the rest.

Should you publish it make sure to

1. Convert it into an .esm (Otherwise the load times will be long

2. Be sure to rename the corresponding precombined and vis folders to .esm as well

3. When packing everything into an .ba2, make sure to

-Include the LOD files.

-Don't forget that the CK will package the .esp-named precombined folders (And vis folders) so you must import the .esm-named versions

Publishing the mod depends on whether or not you want to give up control of the mod.

With the direction the Nexus is moving towards mod packs, once published you will give up the right to remove the mod or the right to determine if it can be included in a mod pack.