The unofficial auto thread

Vindekarr

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my own think about it; I've been around cars literally all my life; both my immediate and extended family are full of OCD car nuts, my mother especially(She usually knows more about F-1 than the commentators) But what strike me, what are, out of all my knowledge, my favourites? well, I'm gonna go through from cheapest to most expensive and list 'em up.

My chosen hypercar? Koenigsegg Agera R. There's a few great hyper-cars, but if I could only have one it would be the Agera. Why? most hyper-cars keep their 1000+ horsepower locked away so that it's only available for their record-attempt runs, while electronics essentially drive the car for you. The Agera combines hyper-car power and grip with only the most basic electronic aids. It doesn't apologize for being a big, scary street legal fighter plane, it knows what it is, and it knows if you didn't want the ultimate driver's car, you'd be in a Bugatti.

And it's just beautiful as well; every Agera's bodywork is hand-shaped over a period of weeks to ensure perfect quality.

Road car? McLaren MP4-12. Very much a look into the future. Compact, extremely powerful V-8 engine, ultra-light Carbon structure, and an incredibly advanced suspension and breaking system. If the Agera is about reminding people what an old fashioned, analogue driver's car is, the MP4 is about showing how wonderful the future is going to be. High-tech doesn't even begin to describe it.

Classic? 1978 Lotus T-79. Driven by Mario Andretti to his Formula One world championship, the T-79 was a watershed moment in Formula One history. With it, Colin Chapman's Lotus team made the first practical use of "ground effects" an aerodynamic theory that literally every Formula One and Indy car ever since has been based around. With the revolutionary Ground Effects aero package, innately superb balance, and a powerful and reliable Cosworth V-8, it dominated the 1978 season and won all but one race-and even the one that got away was given to it after the winning Brabham was found to be in breach of the rules. In addition to it's success, it's also one of the most stunningly gorgeous race cars ever made and an F-1 icon. The press nicknamed it "Back Beauty" because of it's sleek shape and simple, clean lines.

http://www.grandprixhistory.org/images/lotus79a.jpg http://content.worldcarfans.co/2012/3/6/medium/17477755611381926902.jpg

IN BREAKING F1 NEWS THE FIA HAS CONFIRMED THE CANCELATION OF THE 2014 RUSSIAN GP

The move has been blamed on the RAF(Russian Automotive Federation) failing meet to meet standards and deadlines, corruption with the RAF, and the RAF's inability to provide a valid licence. Which event will replace it, is currently unknown.

Edited by Vindekarr

Well now I have more to think about! ha ha ha

I do have this. I guess we all grow up (well I guess I am weird to be a girl that does this) loving a certain car. Most of us aren't as learned as Vindekarr (and that is said with utmost respect) but this is the car I have always loved. Its beautiful to me. It's a work of art. I don't care if some of you laugh since it isn't a European Supercar....but if I win the lotto this will be the first car I buy.

The 1963 Corvette Stingray Coupe

http://www.proteam-corvette.com/cars/photos/1049Db.jpg

Sorry about the for sale crap on the bottom I am too tired to crop it off and this was a nice pic

Well now I have more to think about! ha ha ha

I do have this. I guess we all grow up (well I guess I am weird to be a girl that does this) loving a certain car. Most of us aren't as learned as Vindekarr (and that is said with utmost respect) but this is the car I have always loved. Its beautiful to me. It's a work of art. I don't care if some of you laugh since it isn't a European Supercar....but if I win the lotto this will be the first car I buy.

The 1963 Corvette Stingray Coupe

http://www.proteam-corvette.com/cars/photos/1049Db.jpg

Sorry about the for sale crap on the bottom I am too tired to crop it off and this was a nice pic

Now this is a nice car. :D

But the closest I've ever gotten to it:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3678/4941/21694970005_medium.jpg

:D

I realised I came at this from the wrong angle; I posted from a neutral, journalistic perspective about something that should be an emotional issue.

So, what's the car I feel most emotionally attached to? McLaren F-1.

The fastest, most powerful road car of the 20th century, the McLaren F-1 is something I grew up with. It was designed the year I was born(1990), and from the time I was 3 years old, to the time I was leaving high school, it was the fastest car on the planet. When something is that dominant, for your entire childhood, it tends to leave an impression. So why do I love it? well, when it arrived in 1993, there were no hyper-cars. Pagani, Gumpert, Koenigsegg, didn't exist. Bugatti was a fading memory. The concept of a hyper car, was forgotten-an idea from a different age almost a century ago.

It's not like a modern hyper car either. The goal from the very outset was performance, which meant stripping every excess nut and bolt and luxury, and adding the most powerful engine possible. The result weighs only a little more than a Lotus Exige, but has a 650 horsepower Formula One engine. The result is a top speed of 390, impressive even in today's measure. Because it's overpowered for it's size, and has a very short wheelbase, it does have very touchy handling. I like that about it, a car like this should push your driving skills as hard as you can push it's engineering, and by dint of the handling set up, it does just that.

http://0.tqn.com/d/exoticcars/1/0/A/5/-/-/Orange-McLaren-F1.jpg http://www.carfolio.com/images/dbimages/zgas/models/id/880/mclaren_f1_lm_2.jpghttp://www.revtothelimit.com/uploads/3/2/8/3/3283806/______________4596394_orig.jpg

These are the best three images I could find. Sure, it's not got the curvy, sexy lines of a modern exotic. But for me, the shear functionality of the design has a beauty of all it's own. My only regret is there's

no sound file. This thing has one of the most unique engine notes you'll ever hear-nothing else sounds anything remotely like it.

Well, it's been a quiet few weeks in the auto world, but the peace has been shattered by two major announcements; firstly, the Toyota is about to re-incarnate the Supra RZ as a supercar to take on BMW and Porsche, and second, the creation of a massive new international racing formula.

So what's going to happen is, a couple of silhouette formulas are getting together and forming into one gigantic international league to boost manufacturer participation, attendance, and TV deals. This initially started when execs from NASCAR approached the heads of the German DTM, Japanese Super-GT, Australian V-8 Supercars, French WEC, and American Grand AM, "suggesting" they accept the NASCAR format. Unsurprisingly, the responses ranged from a polite "no" to "sod off!"(can you guess from who?) Obviously the idea of a global NASCAR championship was going to fail; NASCAR spent billions in the 1990s trying to establish a presence in Australia but were ridiculed for the shear lack of interesting racing that they brought. Yet the idea of combining forces, was not without merit.

Super GT and DTM have a lot in common. They both feature similar race formulas, very similar cars, and DTM drivers often make guest appearances in the SGT500. When that's considered, it's not surprising that DTM and the SGT have now merged for 2015. Upon merging, they'll share technical rules completely; in theory you could take a car from Mine or Autopolis and drop it on the grid at Hockenheimring or Ocherschleiben and go racing without an issue. Trans-Am, a smaller player, has also jumped in as well, hoping to grow. Right now the project is in it's infantcy, but it's snowballing rapidly; expect it to grow drastically before the first merged season in 2017.

So what will the cars look like? these are silhouette racers, which means that pretty much anything goes. DTM cars are usually Germanic domestic market cars like BMW M3s and Mercedes E-63 AMGs. Super-GT cars are an altogether more heterogeneous mix, ranging wildly from slick, sexy blood racers with no relation to any production road car, to re-bodied road legal machines. Perhaps the sexiest being the one below, the Honda HSV 10, which features a full-blooded 477 horsepower formula one engine. You read that right.

http://www.yoyowall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Honda-Super-Gt-Racer.jpg

Doing something a little different this weekend. Since Gran Turismo 5 is reaching the end of it's life, but remains one of the best racing games I've ever seen, I've decided to go round up those few races that got away from me, namely the Tsukuba 9-hour and the Le Mans 24 hour. Now, GT5 is bloody realistic. You think it's condensed time? nope. You've got to drive all 24 hours, you've got to manage logistics, and you've got to keep your pace.

Thankfully I've got experience with obscenely hard gaming drives, and real race driving experience as well-I've already nailed GT5's meanest race, the 24 hours of Nurburgring, so Le Mans is more a test of my dedication than technical skill. That being said, I had a massive car advantage at Nurburgring; I was in a Jaguar XJR-9 with over 1000 horsepower. This time, for the sake of hardmode, I'm driving a 2009 Peugeot 908 HDI-FAP(that name... WHY Peugeot WHY?!) I'll post results later, but so far my times are good-I'm lapping consistently around 3:25 which is about all this car can do, so hopefully, soon, I'll be able to say I've 100% perhaps the most hardcore mainstream driving game I've ever owned. A great way to say goodbye to an old favourite, even if I will simply be moving on to it's direct successor.

http://www.ausmotive.com/images/Peugeot-908-HDi-01.jpg

Free wallpaper.

Well, that didn't last long. My Le Mans is done a little over seven and a half hours in; I still don't currently know what happened, but the car suddenly stopped producing any engine power at all, and there was a light on the screen warning of an oil issue. I'm kinda miffed-I was dominated the race, would have won no problems. And then the car decides to be a dick-butt and blows up.

• 2 weeks later...

Spa results.....

1 Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 1hr 23mins 42.196secs

2 Fernando Alonso (Spa) Ferrari 1:23:59.065

3 Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) Mercedes GP 1:24:09.930

4 Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes GP 1:24:12.068

5 Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 1:24:16.041

6 Jenson Button (Gbr) McLaren 1:24:22.990

7 Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 1:24:36.118

8 Romain Grosjean (Fra) Lotus F1 Team 1:24:38.042

9 Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India 1:24:51.743

10 Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:24:55.666