Edit magazines

FullMetalMadcat

I'm currently working on a mod which replaces all the magazines with new covers. The graphics part is 100% done and as a complement, I'd like to edit the messages that are displayed when you pick them up. I've looked far and wide with Google but so far I haven't found any info about how I should proceed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I've toyed with the Creation Kit and found the messages related to the mags, and edited the info. Upon saving the CC asked me to give the ESP a name, which I've typed. At this point, would the mags and the ESP be reading to zip and sent to the mods section?

Edited by FullMetalMadcat

Not sure what you are asking there... Saving in the CK will create the esp file in your data folder for the game. If you want to upload it, you will have to zip the esp, and any assets up yourself. (7zip is my personal go-to archive utility.)

Not sure what you are asking there... Saving in the CK will create the esp file in your data folder for the game. If you want to upload it, you will have to zip the esp, and any assets up yourself. (7zip is my personal go-to archive utility.)

ZIP has the advantage of being a universal format these days, handled natively by most operating systems. But yeah, I use 7Z too lol

@FullMetalMadcat Here's the deal. When you save the ESP it gets saved to your Fallout4\Data directory. The new ESP is not enabled by default, you have to do that using your mod manager (or editing the plugins.txt and loadorder.txt files).

If you want to share your work, use the file menu in the CK to Create Archive. This creates a BA2 with all your assets. You then zip up the ESP and BA2 files. The zip can be used to install the mod elsewhere. If you don't use the Create Archive function you are likely to lose bits such as script fragments, and any BA2 you manually created is likely to not work right.

ZIP has the advantage of being a universal format these days, handled natively by most operating systems. But yeah, I use 7Z too lol

@FullMetalMadcat Here's the deal. When you save the ESP it gets saved to your Fallout4\Data directory. The new ESP is not enabled by default, you have to do that using your mod manager (or editing the plugins.txt and loadorder.txt files).

If you want to share your work, use the file menu in the CK to Create Archive. This creates a BA2 with all your assets. You then zip up the ESP and BA2 files. The zip can be used to install the mod elsewhere. If you don't use the Create Archive function you are likely to lose bits such as script fragments, and any BA2 you manually created is likely to not work right.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter now as a moderator removed my mod from the Nexus a few hours after it was posted. My mod essentially replaced all the magazines with vintage covers of Playboy from the 50's and 60's, and the mod stated that I used copyrighted material. Never mind the fact that tons of mods use assets; models, textures, SFX, and music lifted from other games, and get posted almost daily without a problem. Oh well, at least I learned more about the CK.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter now as a moderator removed my mod from the Nexus a few hours after it was posted. My mod essentially replaced all the magazines with vintage covers of Playboy from the 50's and 60's, and the mod stated that I used copyrighted material. Never mind the fact that tons of mods use assets; models, textures, SFX, and music lifted from other games, and get posted almost daily without a problem. Oh well, at least I learned more about the CK.

Yeah but Playboy has money, lawyers and people who actively look for copyright infringement. Plus it's very easy for the moderators to notice.

Playboy isn't what it once was. Hefner is gone and the magazine as well. Not sure that what remains of the company has people "actively" looking for copyright infringements. The worse that could have happened if such people would have stumbled on my mod would have been a notice to remove it. That's it.

Game companies also have lawyers, and darn good ones too. CD Projekt Red is pretty cool about modders using their assets in other games, but others, not so much. That's why I don't understand why it's ok for modders to rip assets from other games and put their mods here for all to download without a hitch while mine got the boot.

Playboy isn't what it once was. Hefner is gone and the magazine as well. Not sure that what remains of the company has people "actively" looking for copyright infringements. The worse that could have happened if such people would have stumbled on my mod would have been a notice to remove it. That's it.

Game companies also have lawyers, and darn good ones too. CD Projekt Red is pretty cool about modders using their assets in other games, but others, not so much. That's why I don't understand why it's ok for modders to rip assets from other games and put their mods here for all to download without a hitch while mine got the boot.

Copyright.

Sure, other authors violate the rules, but, as soon as staff is aware, those mods are removed as well.

Not entirely true. Go in the mods section, and you'll find tons of mods with assets from Modern Warfare, CoD, Halo, Battlefield, and many other games still up for grabs and haven't been deleted at all. See what I'm getting at?

Is the system perfect? Nope. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Some companies don't care if you port their stuff to other games, some do. I would expect Microsoft would be highly incensed to find their stuff being used in a non-MS approved way. :D They are just kinda like that.... but, there are how many thousands of mods on here? And how many staff??? Not hard to see why some stuff remains up for extended periods. I do believe someone actually has to report it, before mods/staff will take action..... But, I don't work here..... so, can't say for sure. :D

There's also a difference between directly converting assets and reverse engineering it. I can create an object that is "Halo-like", but as long as I don't use Halo assets or make a perfect copy I'm not violating copyright, at least not the letter of the law. It's a very gray area, but as long as no one complains it usually gets by.

Pictures, paintings, photos, magazine covers... it's a lot more obvious when you are using someone else's intellectual property.