All Settlers are Brahmin

aurreth

You know the old story about how cows can't walk down stairs?

I just watched my companion walk up a flight of stairs and then spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to walk down them again. Same, damn, stairs. So yup, all companions/settlers are brahmin.

I just watched my companion walk up a flight of stairs and then spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to walk down them again. Same, damn, stairs. So yup, all companions/settlers are brahmin.

That'd be an improvement for Marcie. At least she would stop complaining. :D

And be useful.

And be useful.

LOLOL.

Yeah, that too. I assign her to food production, so she spends most of her time in the garden. Next, I think I am going to move the garden to one of the far corners of sanctuary. :D

And be useful.

LOLOL.

Yeah, that too. I assign her to food production, so she spends most of her time in the garden. Next, I think I am going to move the garden to one of the far corners of sanctuary. :D

Use a 6 def guard mat on the far southeast of the island. She'll spend all her time in the woods where she can stare at the river and contemplate her sins :)

A lot of the "stupidity" of npc's in, at least Bethesda games, has to do with, that they have not navmesh their areas good enough.

If you need prove, just open the ck and look how they navmeshed boston (the town). Some navmesh cells are so horrible finalized that companions can not really use them. My bet is, that they used the auto-navmesh tool a lot and that is never a good choice imo, if they not fly later over the cells and rework manually problematic cells.*

Also, if upstairs is an attraction point like a chair, or stove, while downstairs is nothing, npcs take their time to move down, because they are attracted by such game elements.

So... Don't judge the npc's and companions too hard. Would Bethesda have spent a few weeks more with navmeshing, they would be a lot more intelligent, in many areas of the game.

*Do not save the file in the ck at the end if you look just for bad navmeshes. To avoid to have trouble later with mods.

Edited by taryl80

A lot of the "stupidity" of npc's in, at least Bethesda games, has to do with, that they have not navmesh their areas good enough.

If you need prove, just open the ck and look how they navmeshed boston (the town). Some navmesh cells are so horrible finalized that companions can not really use them. My bet is, that they used the auto-navmesh tool a lot and that is never a good choice imo, if they not fly later over the cells and rework manually problematic cells.*

Also, if upstairs is an attraction point like a chair, or stove, while downstairs is nothing, npcs take their time to move down, because they are attracted by such game elements.

So... Don't judge the npc's and companions too hard. Would Bethesda have spent a few weeks more with navmeshing, they would be a lot more intelligent, in many areas of the game.

*Do not save the file in the ck at the end if you look just for bad navmeshes. To avoid to have trouble later with mods.

Oh no, this was a stair I built, and I ordered my companion to go to the top to test pathing, and then back down. Up went fine, but down, along the same path, and the companion could not figure out how to do it. This was not an area navmesh, this was NPC AI.

There is a serious AI problem with pathing in three dimensions. As in the AI does not take height into account when calculating the best path. So settlers will pointedly ignore stairs, walking NEXT to them and into a wall, rather than up them and through a door, or teleport off a cliff, rather than walk down them. And you can't blame mods, because I've tried it with vanilla, Bethesda created stairs and the results are the same. You know what steps work the best? The SOE Yangtze set. Steps from a submarine that no NPC ever needs to path to.

Ramps work better, and any set of steps that is navmeshed as a ramp instead of actual steps (very few of them), but even then if the universe isn't totally flat NPCs get boggled.

Oh no, this was a stair I built, and I ordered my companion to go to the top to test pathing, and then back down. Up went fine, but down, along the same path, and the companion could not figure out how to do it. This was not an area navmesh, this was NPC AI.

There is a serious AI problem with pathing in three dimensions. As in the AI does not take height into account when calculating the best path. So settlers will pointedly ignore stairs, walking NEXT to them and into a wall, rather than up them and through a door, or teleport off a cliff, rather than walk down them. And you can't blame mods, because I've tried it with vanilla, Bethesda created stairs and the results are the same. You know what steps work the best? The SOE Yangtze set. Steps from a submarine that no NPC ever needs to path to.

Ramps work better, and any set of steps that is navmeshed as a ramp instead of actual steps (very few of them), but even then if the universe isn't totally flat NPCs get boggled.

Gotta be something weird going on there, as I see NPCs regularly choose a path to some rather difficult locations. Like, standing on rocks, firing down into a canyon, NPC's, (particularly dogs....) will be able to find a way up. Of course, it rarely involves stairs. :) The ground is likely treated a lot like ramps.