Please boycott Ender's game if you care about equality and the end

Michlo

I really don't have much of a problem with him saying the things he does, hurtful as they are. I do have a big problem with him using his wealth and actively working against the LBGT community. He was on the board for NOM. He's argued to keep sodomy laws on the books. These days, a lot of the time, it's hard to know what happens to your money and what it funds. I know it isn't much, but if I can keep a little bit of money out of that man's hands to fund his causes, then I'm going to do just that.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

((For those that don't know The Nexus is a British website and would follow those laws. The US Supreme Court probably wouldn't come into play here.

However I think all that is off-topic anyway? :smile: ))

It is. On both parts. Mainly the reason why I quoted those is that Mr. Card is American and therefore subjected to American law. There is some confusion to I think the laws thought to be and what's actually in good law for America, so I wanted to state those differences as to clear said confusion up so that the topic could go back on track. And yeah. US Supreme Courts are powerless in terms of international things like this. Which if it is international, the court would have to take place in said country that it occurred in. Unless it's through cyberspace. Laws haven't caught up with the internet, which is also why I linked what I stated about Terms of Service. It's the only thing that actually gives webmasters the power they need to deal with situations like hate speech and the like.

((For those that don't know The Nexus is a British website and would follow those laws. The US Supreme Court probably wouldn't come into play here.

British law in this area is a mess, it's so badly worded no one seems to know what to do with it. It's overridden by Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights anyway, that covers protection of freedom of expression from interference by "public authority" so is irrelevant as far as this site is concerned.

British law in this area is a mess, it's so badly worded no one seems to know what to do with it. It's overridden by Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights anyway, that covers protection of freedom of expression from interference by "public authority" so is irrelevant as far as this site is concerned.

Regardless....US Supreme Court and Constitution ain't got a dog in this race as far as stuff here goes..just wanted to point that out since some seemed determined to go that route. :smile:

And Card is an old fogie with ideas from the stone-age. I wouldn't pee on his head if it was on fire. However hating him like he hates others serves no good purpose. He is nothing and should be looked at as such.

And Card is an old fogie with ideas from the stone-age. I wouldn't pee on his head if it was on fire. However hating him like he hates others serves no good purpose. He is nothing and should be looked at as such.

See Lisnpuppy, this is why we love you. xD Oh. My. God.

I'm going to need a new spleen after reading that.

I'll definitely boycott this. Discriminating against people is just wrong, period. Actively encouraging hate is wrong and I'll be glad to avoid giving this author my money.

And Lionsgate too, which supports the LGBT community and is even hosting an event for the LGBT community in light of Cards statements and there is noting he can do about Lionsgate doing that.... Just saying your hurting a studio that supports the LGBT cause, and is actually... essentially giving Card the middle finger by doing this. I'de see it just to support Lionsgate, they will get a larger sum than Card anyways. That is unless of course you believe in harming everyone because of one bad person....

See Lisnpuppy, this is why we love you. xD Oh. My. God.

I'm going to need a new spleen after reading that.

Hope your spleen is ok! lol I was going to add I get more enjoyment reading the back of a shampoo bottle than his novels but it seemed a bit overkill.

I'll definitely boycott this. Discriminating against people is just wrong, period. Actively encouraging hate is wrong and I'll be glad to avoid giving this author my money.

And Lionsgate too, which supports the LGBT community and is even hosting an event for the LGBT community in light of Cards statements and there is noting he can do about Lionsgate doing that.... Just saying your hurting a studio that supports the LGBT cause, and is actually... essentially giving Card the middle finger by doing this. I'de see it just to support Lionsgate, they will get a larger sum than Card anyways. That is unless of course you believe in harming everyone because of one bad person....

Card will already have been paid, all a boycott does is hurt the studio, it's employees and investors.

I think the point was already made since Card was all over the internet because of his homophobia and the boycott stirred up quite a thingy. Even his wikipedia page is filled with his homophobic stupidities so there's that.

No need for a boycott anymore I think, the film is still bad I hear so...

Either way I also feel like the boycott stirred up even more attention around both Card's views and the movie itself, and maybe it worked both ways that more people saw the movie and that more people now also know about his views.