What the #$%% going on

moonraker481

What's going on? Nexus Mods is all grown up now.

It has lost the childhood ideals, and some might say, naivety of youth. It has embraced the business world's models as a full-fledged hub of internet gaming commerce. Time will tell if their customer base will respond positively or negatively to such change.

Is Nexus big enough to make their own rules and force others to adapt to their site? Or, will they remember that they exist not as a true content provider but merely a bastion of gaming convenience?

Steam became a gaming hub by ensuring it was the platform of choice for second-hand sales from developers around the globe. It provided a place for developers to grab the attention of millions of gamers for a cut of the profit.

Nexus, on the other hand, is a third-hand bazaar that is entirely dependent upon both moddable games coming from the gaming industry as well as fresh mods from creators in order to survive. And it needs both of those in sufficient quantity to ensure their profitability.

The trouble is that Nexus cannot force or even incentivise the industry or private citizens to provide either of those things. Mods do not show up on a developers/publishers profit boards and modders are left in the lurch to live on donations.

As such, to ensure an income stream for itself it has changed its pricing structure to avoid giving away free access for a relatively small sum of money (Lifetime access for $60? That's not sustainable in a world where a serious gamer could easily drop that cash and ensure a "lifetime" of modding. That works out to only $5/month and only gets smaller in terms of profit over time...no business survives on that over time)

AND Nexus has changed its distribution model to ensure that the mods they do obtain in the future can never be removed. Thus ensuring that even if the quantity of games/mods dries up, their income stream is secure. People will continue to play and need mods for games (even one that is a decade old now [skyrim]) and will pay for access to those things--even if the modder chooses or is forced to leave for other games or RL pursuits years ago.

It is a perfectly sound business decisions--if they can convince or drag people along for the ride. If not, the internet is full of hungry up and comers, like Nexus once was, ready and willing to fill the gap.

(Now I'm off to scour the internet to find a mod that has been deleted from Nexus)

So in other words I pay the $ 70.00 or do with out then ? That is little much ate it . So where do we go now this is the only place I know to get mods I could understand a 10 to 15 rise but 40 is to much for my blood .

Please don't go and lose all your marbles because this website is changing. Change is what happens when the brutes (both ladies and gent brutes) take over the equipment we disabled people were given so we could have a life of sorts, better than what we had. Now there are new kinds of people running the businesses Mr. Scott has to deal with.

I think I will go surfing on the Internet. An adventurous spirit brought me here. An adventurous spirit still gets me out adventuring, surfing or gaming. Lean toward that memory of where you thought there were no barriers, and adventure is yours again.

So in other words I pay the $ 70.00 or do with out then ? That is little much ate it . So where do we go now this is the only place I know to get mods I could understand a 10 to 15 rise but 40 is to much for my blood .

They gave a deadline of August 3rd to get a Lifetime Membership.

The only way to get a Lifetime Membership now is through a Mod Author if they spend their Donation Points on one

• 3 weeks later...