Help moving Vortex, Steam, and Modded Games

JacobKirwin
Go to solution Solved by HadToRegister,

I messed up. I watched a Youtube video on Modding for Newbs, and I installed Steam, Vortex, and a few mods to my C Drive programs file. Now I'm trying to move them and I'm feeling in over my head. I'm very new to this:

Here's the problem:

I installed Vortex, Steam, and Skyrim in my Programs (x86) folder on the C Drive (the default place they stick them). Then I installed a few mods from Vortex and Skyrim Script Extender (SKKE).

...Now I'm learning this is bad. Modded games don't play well with the C Programs file due to Windows Security stuff. But I've already installed a handful of Mods (and SKKE) and now I have no clue how to remove them without uninstalling everything (Steam, Vortex, all mods, both games, etc. - something I've also never done before).

What I need:

Help with how to move my Steam installation, including lightly modded Skyrim (and Fallout 4), out of my C: Programs x86 folder to a new folder in my C Drive (or to a new Drive altogether. I also have D Drive with a separate copy of Steam in it that I use for a non-modded version of Fallout New Vegas). I have zero saves (I haven't actually played them yet), so save data is not a concern. I'm willing to just delete everything and start fresh even, but I'll need some help with that too, if it's the only option.

Games and Mods Downloaded:

Skyrim SSE. Nexus Mods (via Vortex): CBBE, Bodyslide, XP32 Max Skeleton, Fores New Idles, SkyUI, CBP Physics, RaceMenu, and (from outside of Nexis) SKKE.

My Rig:

I have a brand new solid state computer (dropped 2K on it; it can play pert near anything and it's SSD with 2 drives' C Drive and D drive). I run Windows 10. I have installed the latest version of Vortex (I don't know where to find the version name, but I literally installed it fresh last week - it's the newest one).

Please don't just post a link to a video without some context:

There's tons (I mean TONS) of videos on how to move Steam Games (or all of Steam) to a new Drive. I tried to figure this out before bugging y'all. But I'm feeling overwhelmed here. Most of videos are a year or so old and the details don't match up with current Steam's actual options. Also, most of them don't advice on how to handle games that are already Modded. And I have yet to find a single one that tells me how to move Steam, Vortex, and Mods all at once.

Help please! And fair warning: I'm very much a beginner. =(

• Solution

CAPS for EMPHASIS

Since you haven't installed very many mods, start here

1. In Vortex PURGE any mods you have installed

Vortex-Menu-purge.jpg

Now you can safely move your Steam Install to the other drive

2. Next, move your Vortex downloads folder USING VORTEX...

Vortex-Download-Folder.jpg

3. Next, move your Mod Staging Folder, USING VORTEX

Vortex-Staging-Folder.jpg

4. You will have to manually set the game location for each game in Vortex. By clicking on the little PLUS + sign in the corner of the game on the GAMES Tab.

Manually-set-location.jpg

CAPS for EMPHASIS

Since you haven't installed very many mods, start here

1. In Vortex PURGE any mods you have installed

Vortex-Menu-purge.jpg

Now you can safely move your Steam Install to the other drive

2. Next, move your Vortex downloads folder USING VORTEX...

Vortex-Download-Folder.jpg

3. Next, move your Mod Staging Folder, USING VORTEX

Vortex-Staging-Folder.jpg

4. You will have to manually set the game location for each game in Vortex. By clicking on the little PLUS + sign in the corner of the game on the GAMES Tab.

Manually-set-location.jpg

Thank you so much! Will Purge also take care of SKKE64?

It was not. But I did add it to Vortex via Drop Files and it is displayed in Vortex along with my other Mods. SKKE (Skyrim Script Extender) is downloaded from off-site and then I had to add it to Vortex.

Yes, but did you use Vortex to install it? by clicking Install?

If so, then you installed it with Vortex

No. I installed in manually off-site then manually moved it to Vortex. SKKE isn't on Nexus sadly, but it seems like a lot of mods need it.

Also, I've followed now purged the games from Vortex, but I still see PLUGINS for the game, update, and dlc. How do I remove these?

No. I installed in manually off-site then manually moved it to Vortex. SKKE isn't on Nexus sadly, but it seems like a lot of mods need it.

Also, I've followed now purged the games from Vortex, but I still see PLUGINS for the game, update, and dlc. How do I remove these?

Those are showing in the Plugins Tab and they're enabled?

After a purge?

Those are showing in the Plugins Tab and they're enabled?

After a purge?

I'm sorry. They're gone now. Apparently there's a delay. Vortex is now clean. Thank you!