Temporal Conflict

Adipose

The "200 years" thing comes from following Fallout 2 which happened in 2241, and Van Buren was supposed to be in 2253. Bethesda probably thought 2277 was a good number for Fallout 3 because that was in line with previous Fallout.

Also, Diamond City looked like this in Bethesda's concept art :

diamond-city_fallout4_bethesda_1600x1093

...So I don't think they were thinking to go all-out hobo fest in Fallout 4. :tongue:

I think what happened in Fallout 4 had a lot to do with their constraints. It looks to me like they had to make assets designed for destroyed areas to be also used for inhabited areas, to save time (and probably to save on disk usage as well), and work things out around that limitation.

Personally, I find the 200 years of cultural void / no progress to be very difficult to work with. :confused:

In all reality, after 200 years, NONE of the structures that weren't maintained would still be standing. Boston would be a forest by 2287 when the sole survivor poked his head out of the vault. Even around here, (and I have lived here for almost 60 years....) I see wooden structures that were abandoned, disintegrate into a heap within 10-15 years. After 20 years, there is a slight mound in the dirt, where the structure used to be. Aside from that, you couldn't tell there was ever anything else there.